This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Let's post our Londinium pictures

Comments

• hi stephen
    when people are logged in they can see your email address in your profile stephen
    we could turn the PM functionality on, but we're not going to
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • Where can one see that? I tried a few profiles but can't find it.

• Thanks Reiss, I had not noticed that in the "Profile" section that the emails were public to logged on users.

S.
  • Frans Goddijn post=1622 wrote: Where can one see that? I tried a few profiles but can't find it.

Adjacent the persons name in the "Profile" section.
  • Reiss Gunson post=1614 wrote: ps martin - the interesting bit about your grinder you haven't shown us - can you lift the hood and show us a pic of the inclined burr set - i think that makes the Eureka Mythos quite special

I'll give it a go , but if I can't get it back together again, then mr Hyde won't be happy .....
  • Stephen Sweeney post=1624 wrote: Adjacent the persons name in the "Profile" section.

No luck here, but no problem either, I'll just forget about it
  • last i heard he was floating on a loch. not face down, but on a boat ;)
  • Reiss Gunson post=1627 wrote: last i heard he was floating on a loch. not face down, but on a boat ;)
    Or training the hotel staff how to make coffee........
  • Frans Goddijn post=1626 wrote: [quote=Stephen Sweeney post=1624]Adjacent the persons name in the "Profile" section.

No luck here, but no problem either, I'll just forget about it

I will check my Profile settings :-)

UPDATE: I tried to change the settings to allow the email to be visible (hopefully to Londinium owners only).
  • Reiss Gunson post=1627 wrote: last i heard he was floating on a loch. not face down, but on a boat ;)

Not face down, yet...

Pharos and Moka Pot with backpack stove inside.

• Stephen Sweeney post=1618 wrote: [quote=Alejandro Erickson post=1613]Stephen, where did you get the plunger thing? Can I get that for my macap?

I made it. Solid acrylic rod, high density Styrofoam for the "Gaskets" and acrylic tube that is machined to fit the throat of the grinder.

I could make one for a Macap if I had a casting of the throat for fitting the tube. For the Mazzer it has a tapered bottom edge(bevel) and I make it tight enough for allow air to not pass easily around it. I found that a single layer of scotch tape will also work as a gasket if I make it too small.

I have made several of them for this Mazzer but the other grinders that have square hoppers are a mystery to me. If I had exact throat dimensions, like down to the .001", I can make something.

Contact me at [email protected] Wish this site had a PM function...

Sounds like you need to get a 3d printer
  • Funny you mention it, because I do have One! A solidoodle, if uk customs is ever finished with it.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=1631 wrote: [quote=Reiss Gunson post=1627]last i heard he was floating on a loch. not face down, but on a boat ;)

Not face down, yet...

Pharos and Moka Pot with backpack stove inside.

wow! i'm probably showing my ignorance stephen but when you can see daylight shining through the structure where the frames are not, does that mean the skin is 'quite thin'?
  • James: Love to have a 3D printer, but it is way beyond my financial ability.

Reiss: It is 8.5oz/yard ballistic nylon (backpack material) and it is coated with a 2 part polyurethane that is flexible and very tough. I would not hesitate bashing it into rocks where a fiberglass or carbon fiber boat would shatter. Broken bottles and oyster shells are my only weak point. It weighs 28 pounds.

You should see the look on peoples face when I paddle up on a beach in an Inuit styled skin boat and break out the coffee gear!
  • Martin Jeffery post=1594 wrote: I have a very accommodating girlfriend re coffee machinery in the kitchen . Plus i do all the cooking/
    Whats the grinder in your pic ?

I was doing most of the cooking until this week when my wife bought a thermomix - now we both have our toys!

The grinder is a Breville Smart Grinder.
  • I had one if those. Do you think it brings out the best in your L1 Kelsey? It is an interesting choice to match up to. How are you finding it?
  • I've had it for a couple of years now and it's been the one constant in my setup, across four different espresso machines.

They cop a bit of flak from some quarters, but I believe it comes from people using stale supermarket beans for the most part.

I recently had a 'grind off' with the Smart Grinder up against a Super Jolly (doser) and a Kony E.

Interestingly enough, the flavour profile of the Smart was very similar to that of the Kony - both conical burrs. The flat-burred Super Jolly I felt didn't bring out enough balance in the brew compared to either of the conicals.

That said, the Kony was definitely the winner in terms of taste - the profile was similar, but the depth of flavour was much more pronounced on the Kony.

I'd love to step up to something like a K10 Fresh, a Nino or a Kony E and I know I will eventually - so I can't see the point in going to what I view as an intermediary step of any lesser grinder when the BSG does so well as it is.
  • Kelsey Brookes post=1655 wrote: I've had it for a couple of years now and it's been the one constant in my setup, across four different espresso machines.

They cop a bit of flak from some quarters, but I believe it comes from people using stale supermarket beans for the most part.

I recently had a 'grind off' with the Smart Grinder up against a Super Jolly (doser) and a Kony E.

Interestingly enough, the flavour profile of the Smart was very similar to that of the Kony - both conical burrs. The flat-burred Super Jolly I felt didn't bring out enough balance in the brew compared to either of the conicals.

That said, the Kony was definitely the winner in terms of taste - the profile was similar, but the depth of flavour was much more pronounced on the Kony.

I'd love to step up to something like a K10 Fresh, a Nino or a Kony E and I know I will eventually - so I can't see the point in going to what I view as an intermediary step of any lesser grinder when the BSG does so well as it is.

I am sorry but I just do not believe this, I have had a smart grinder for two weeks playing with it and can only describe the flavour profile as flat and certainly nowhere near as good as a super jolly let alone a kony, it is basically a jazzed up mc2, you must be adding something to your brew!
  • Good, fresh beans? :woohoo:
  • Frans! Now you can display a rare Luxe machine with the certainty that it is not going to lose value one little bit!
  • Frans, your Luxe looks like it has aged better than mine :(

Most of my pipes are are no longer shiny. I think the lacquer has cracked from several trips around the world and numerous adjustments and tightenings. Most of the pipes now have a whitened look.

I also have some white looking discharge coming from the cold water boiler inlet and hot water outlet pipes and through the seal on the element side of the boiler, which I suspect could be scale but I live in an area with soft water? I was told in an email from the water services manager from the local city council that total hardness for my cities water is around 40mg/litre.

I better get one of those water hardness test kits and test it myself!

Is there anything else it could be?

• hi ian
    have you got limescale inside your kettle/jug, or on your shower rose, or hot taps?
    if not it is unlikely to be limescale
    i'll investigate for you
    reiss.
  • this from adrian just now ian -

This is scale from a slight leak. Use some descaler on it and tighten the fitting this will occur even in soft water areas normal if there is a slight weep
  • I'm not 100% sure what scale even looks like. Here are the inside of the jug and the shower head. The jug would be at least 3 years old if not older and the shower head just looks like soap scum that needs a wipe.

• from the jug i would say you definitely do not have limescale, but note adrian's (CEO of manufacturing co.) comment above

what you are seeing is other mineral deposits forming as the leak is so slow and hot at the joint that it is evaporating off almost immediately upon reaching the surface of the joint

let me know how you get on ian
  • oh, and if you go to google, select an 'images' search mode and type in 'limescale' - its fairly unambiguous

its calcium carbonate, oh and a bit of magnesium carbonate if you're lucky, that has precipitated out, and is essentially as hard as rock

dissolve with an acid - if the deposit is low density you will be able to use something light like lemon juice, or vinegar, and then you step up from there to progressively stronger acids, e.g. citric acid all the way through to sulphuric acid for the very worst cases (not a job for the home!)