This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Let's post our Londinium pictures

It would be nice, I think, to collect a lot of our Londinium images here. Will start off with a few.

Here, I tried to capture the even flow of water into the group. The four inlet holes allow jets of water to meet in the center and from there it rains on the "shower screen" and low pressure pre-infusion starts.

Comments

• Great pictures Frans! Very interesting!

A picture of Fracino founder Frank Maxwell with my L1, in the Birmingham factory (and fellow L1 owner Steven with him)
  • I see how to post videos too now ;-)

• Another perfect L1 shot

• I don't think my photo quality can compete with Frans Goddijn, it looks like he actually uses a camera, where mine were taken on my Galaxy S3 phone, but here goes anyway!

• and some with milk...

• My Beautiful timber handles and PF handle holders both arrived yesterday

• Beautiful combination!
  • James, I am glad you received them OK, I was beginning to wonder! They look good on your your setup.
  • I seem to change things around from time to time but here is what is currently happening in the coffee end of the kitchen.

• Two quick pics to add to the pile!

Old friends:

A delicious single (split-shot) of recently roasted Daterra Sweet Yellow on the drip tray:

• Stephen Sweeney post=133 wrote: James, I am glad you received them OK, I was beginning to wonder! They look good on your your setup.

Thanks Stephen, the joys of international postage, the timber handles were sent a week earlier also from the USA, but arrived at the same time

Just to prove that not everyone has a nice clean kithchen, he's my L1 surrounded by the debris from a few espresso making sessions B)
  • Looks good!

I have the same scale, works excellent too.
  • Me too, though i wish it had slightly higher weight capacity so i could weight the londinium cups with it
  • I'm not at home right now so can't try it out, but I think you can! Have you tried switching it on with the empty cup on it, so that's set to zero?
  • James Springfield post=177 wrote: Me too, though i wish it had slightly higher weight capacity so i could weight the londinium cups with it

Went home and brought back the scale just to see if I'm right and took pictures too. First weighed the beans, then the Londinium cup (164g), then set it to zero, then weighed the ristretto, no problem! Let me know what part of this doesn't work for you.

• yeah, your right, it does work, i dont know what i was thinking, i gave it a go months ago and it didnt work for some reason, cant remember why, i guess i should keep my mouth shut and test before type :P
  • When the pizza delivery handed me my order, I realized I hadn't switched on the oven to keep it hot while I ate the first eighth slice.

Then I saw that my LONDINIUM was still hot and it has the ideal size flat top!

• Frans! Now that is a darn sight better than the seat warmer in the car B)
  • The lever on my LI had started skipping and I saw it mentioned by another owner in the "How often should the piston seals be lubed?" thread, so I decided to remove the shower screen to give it a clean and remove the piston and re-lube it.

Well, this is what I found...

And after a few hours soaking and scrubbing this is what it came up like:

I guess I need to increase the frequency that I strip it down and clean it out!
  • to correctly replace the shower screen demands a little bit of care - if you don't refit it 'dead level' the seal will bind in the seal groove and you will not be able to drive the retaining seal far enough up

also put the thinnest film imaginable of the silicone grease on the inner and outer (not top and bottom) faces of the seal to prevent it from binding in the manner described above
  • I could dive into that Franz. What sort of dosage are you using?

And is that from a single spout PF?
  • Thanks!

I frequently make little changes, can't recall with certainty what dosage these in the pix were. The past weeks, I consistently use 17g and 25-30 seconds extraction for a single espresso. I have grown used to ristrettos of about 20g but the past days, after I visited a sunday morning tasting session in a local specialty coffee place, I changed the grinder setting to extract more, about 30ml
  • I get a lot of air bubbles using the naked handle, is this common?

If i lift the cup they go away though
  • Frans,

The deep veins of color indicate some over extraction, granted, I drink everything not to waste and adjust. Perhaps your tamp was a little hard?

I'm more of a noob, but I'm just going off of what Reiss has said on the Blog! Hope you don't take it too hard.
  • This was my most recent shot.

The beans were Finca Candela Caturra from Panama, roasted on the 27th September by Coffee Supreme in Wellington, NZ.

Ground weight was 14.39g, a 6 second count on the pre-infusion, then pulled when it started to blond, sorry I didn't time it.

The espresso weight out was 28.52g. It tasted good to me, but I'm not an expert!