This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Let's post our Londinium pictures

Comments

• Stefan Olofsson post=3384 wrote: I can't figure out how to do it here. Please help! ;)

What part is difficult for you? I could explain it step by step but I assume you know how to make sure a picture is 600x600 pixels max and then it's just click on the field before "Add File", browse on your PC to where that picture is, select it, add the picture and then insert it where you want.
  • Thanks a lot Frans! :) It was the "max 600*600 pixels" I hadn't got right. Now I know :oops:
  • Looking like a nice setup! Enjoy the shots :-)
  • Thanks Stephen!

Maybe not as an exiting setup as you and many other L1 owners here have, but for me the excitement is in the LONDINIUM I and the spring lever experience. After reading a lot about what manual lever machines and spring levers are supposed to do with the extraction and the taste in the cup, I couldn't resist going for this "odd one out" (the L1). I've been following the evolution in the world of espresso during the last three to four years after buying my first "espresso machine", a Nespresso D290, in august 2010. Not espresso really but better than ordinary brew coffee. After that a Silvia v2 and Rocky grinder followed, and then an Orphan Espresso Pharos, a Mahlkönig Vario Home, a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II and a Super Jolly. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted a new machine with pre-infusion control and a quieter rotary pump, but then I stumled upon a YouTube clip showing a LONDINIUM I, and the rest is history ;) Maybe I'm just caught up in the L1 hype but after just a week with the L1 I'm in a kind of religious state of mind and every extraction is so much better/different/tastier than what I could produce before L1. That maybe says more about my not rock solid barista skills :unsure:

I must say I'm very impressed by what you, Stephen, and many others here are doing to understand the "mystery" of good espresso and that you spread your knowledge to others. I feel lucky to have entered in to the lever/spring lever world and to have this forum and it's dedicated members, and Reiss of course, as support :)

Thanks again! :cheer:
  • Thanks Stefan :-)

You will find that the grind and the tamp are pretty critical to a good shot, but as you have figured out you now have the tools to make that good shot.

Enjoy the adventure!
  • Thanks again Stephen! Yes, the machine is important to the extent that it provides the water at the correct temperature and pressure profile, but it won't compensate for my poor barista skills (maybe a little). I noticed fairly quickly that I had to dose less (16-17 gr) in the pf, distribute with care and tamp with considerably less pressure than before (pre L1). With the possibility to control the pre-infusion I have yet another variable I have to master. So far I'm pleased with the grind of the Super Jolly but it probably isn't my last grinder ;)
  • This was Columbia Suarez, which has been my favourite coffee for a while, Ive got just about enough for one more roast.

• a very nice shot peter. thank you for your contribution. r
  • I just thought I'd drag this thread back into circulation! What is everyone drinking at the moment?

This is what I've got, roasted in Wellington, New Zealand, by Coffee Supreme.

• That's fun! I made a clip using Ethiopa Cherry Red beans. On my roaster I don't think I got them optimal but a friend living one block away roasted some and they work better. I used the Reneka filter, 14g of beans and the relatively small holes of the filter allow a slower flow than I would normally get from just 14g in a basket that big.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]Z2BNemLwkDw
  • Have you tried any Londinium coffee Ian?
  • Frans, the coffee from the Ethiopia Cherry Red bean look good, great colour!

Stephen, yes I have had a few Londinium coffees, courtesy of Reiss when I have ordered other stuff. Unfortunately the shipping costs to New Zealand are just to expensive to order them on a regular basis.

I started with coffee from Humming Coffee in Christchurch but a lot of their stuff was turning up with no roast dates, only used by dates 12 months away! So I changed to Supreme Coffee, everything I order arrives with a roast date which is reasonably close to when I order it (who knows if they are accurate or just there for the fanatics). I am 99% sure there is no one roasting locally in Invercargill, Strictly Coffee roasts in Dunedin but their choice is limited.

Coffee Supreme offer "tasting postcards" with each of their beans which I think is a nice touch.

• "Unfortunately the shipping costs to New Zealand are just to expensive to order them on a regular basis."

oh well, we'll have to do something about that then ;)
  • Reiss Gunson post=3727 wrote: "Unfortunately the shipping costs to New Zealand are just to expensive to order them on a regular basis."

oh well, we'll have to do something about that then ;)
    I can't really see what you can do Reiss, bar buying DHL, and you ain't in that bracket yet.

Or I s'pose you could do a David Cameron and give us all free shipping...

The coffee will rise in price by 50%... but the shipping is free!
  • beautifully lit frans.
  • I just roasted Ethiopian Harrar Longberry
    I'm not too convinced though, i'm not sure the berry goes with the strong roast flavour, makes me feel a bit sickly
    I roasted to FC+3:30 and FC+4:00 with two different RoR

oh and heres my new bags

• Nice bags!
  • It's all about the presentation, at least that's what all the milk drinkers say :woohoo:
  • In a shop twhere people sell all kinds of materials for boat owners (ropes, anchors, transmitters, radar, sunglasses, life vests) I bought a little powerful NauticLED light to try in my L1. I suppose I could feed (10V-30V, 2.2W, 250 lumen 2700K) it from the L1 power system but I would hate to mess up anything so I connected it to an external lab gadget regulating Volt/Ampere which has the extra advantage of turning the power into a dimmer. At 7V the light switches on softly and at 15V it is giving max lights.

It will be interesting to see how it survives the 50-60ºC inside the machine. I suppose inside a yacht under a blazing sun on a windless day it can get pretty hot between the walls where these lights are fixed.

• Nice NightLight!
  • Yes I could keep it on so I can always find the machine in the dark ;-)
  • Sleep walkers, sleep eaters and sleep shot pullers :-)
  • After a rocky start just begining to get to grips with the L1

• Looks nice Nick!
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4047 wrote: Looks nice Nick!

Ditto! And I see you opted for the left side steam arm!
  • thank you for posting nick - the new mirror polish finish is clearly evident on your machine & i think it is an improvement - it has a 'whiter' appearance, if that makes sense

please do feel free to post any & all issues you had, as i don't think we have spoken about them - the good, the bad, and the ugly - its all welcome here

kind regards

reiss.
  • Nick,

That L1 is pristine, I sure do hope you are using it ;) It looks so clean that I might be hesitant to even touch it and dirty it up.

Glad to hear you're getting to know each other well.

Cheers,
    Patrick
  • Took a few packs of El Injero beans back home from Berlin. Roasted at Bonanza's (a sort of famous place in the Berlin coffee world, and several other cafe's use Bonanza beans), they were rather expensive at 14 Euro's per 250 g and so I expected a lot of them. They look very light, almost too light for filter even and the first shots came out very odd and unspecial but now that I have upped the dose and ground a lot finer, it's suddenly the best I've tasted in weeks.