This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Let's post our Londinium pictures

Comments

• Wow! very nice setup
  • hi juan

i clicked through to photo bucket to see the rest of your images & couldn't help but notice that you have a Compak K10 fresh, a Mahlkoenig K30, and the Versalab

I would be most interested to hear, perhaps in the grinders thread, your thoughts on the relative merits of each one

i.e. is one of them a clear winner in all aspects, or do they each excel in a particular area/style of use/scenario?

kind regards

reiss
  • So shiny! Very professional! That setup could pass in a commercial setting for sure.
  • Reiss Gunson post=933 wrote: hi juan

i clicked through to photo bucket to see the rest of your images & couldn't help but notice that you have a Compak K10 fresh, a Mahlkoenig K30, and the Versalab

I would be most interested to hear, perhaps in the grinders thread, your thoughts on the relative merits of each one

i.e. is one of them a clear winner in all aspects, or do they each excel in a particular area/style of use/scenario?

kind regards

reiss

+1 for this thought/question!
  • I made a short clip of an extraction in slow motion:
    https://vimeo.com/79110876

I guess I should experiment a bit more as it's a bit boring after the first seconds ;-)
  • It looks good, especially the "Beret"!!

Thanx to Juanjo (J.J.) - here the second L1 + M3 (mod) combination in action.
    And another K10 for sale ;)

Sure, the K10 is great and the espresso quality is practically the same, but I love the look and the single dosing with the M3 - of course only the modded version of the one and only Terranova ;)
  • Manfred H post=1289 wrote: Thanx to Juanjo (J.J.) - here the second L1 + M3 (mod) combination in action.
    And another K10 for sale ;)

Sure, the K10 is great and the espresso quality is practically the same, but I love the look and the single dosing with the M3 - of course only the modded version of the one and only Terranova ;)

Manfred! You should have added the grinder photos to the collection on the Grinder Thread, but in any case they sure are nice grinders. Did the Terranova Mods improve the shots out of the Versalab? I suspect so but an owner of one would best be the judge.

Nice setup BTW!

This delicious shot looked almost nuclear when it was ready ;-)

It's made with Costa Rica Tarrazzu beans from LONDINIUM
  • Another random picture.

I wasn't sure if it fitted in the grinder thread, the tamper thread, the shot thread or the Londinium pictures thread!

It looks like I should give the machine a clean from this picture!
  • Time to join the fun:

First shot:

In place:

Closeup:

My wife (who is every bit as invested in coffee as myself) had this reaction: "This kinda blows pump machines out of the water, doesn't it?"
  • "My wife (who is every bit as invested in coffee as myself)"

does she know she's invested in coffee kelsey?

you didn't stick it on her credit card without telling her did you? :whistle:
  • :P

Invested as in 'competing for bench space with her toys' - the more willing she is to allow enormous appliances on the bench the more essential she considers them!
  • Very nice Kelsey, enjoy it !

Kfir.
  • Thanks Kfir, I already do!
  • That's one heck of a deli grinder you've got going on there!

I've heard very good things about them for this purpose.
  • Yeah they ( Mythos ) are not bad, was a very reasonable price. Very little retention and lovely grind consistency….
  • Kelsey, why do you think the Mythos is a deli grinder?
  • As far as I know, that's what this type of grinder is known as.
  • Right! I have no idea why. It is IMHO the single best flat burr grinder on the market, whther that is in home or commercial use. I am not saying that others may not name other grinders but this is made by Eureka and badged for nNovo Simonelli and others, so is pretty mainstream.
    I had one paired with my L1 and was delighted with the results. I sold it to buy a K10 but miss it so much I am waiting for the chance to buy another one to sit alongside the K10.
  • I've heard that they can deliver good results. I'm not a huge fan of flat burr grinders, but I think if this wound up on my bench I'd have more to worry about - in the form of divorce. ;)
  • I have a very accommodating girlfriend re coffee machinery in the kitchen . Plus i do all the cooking/
    Whats the grinder in your pic ?
  • Thanks appreciate that . Nope i throw in 100-150 g and keep it topped up. Bit of weight keeps the grind consistency more consistent….
  • I thought that might be the case. The weight in my Mazzer Kony-E helps a lot with dosing from the timer but I came up with a routine that works to dump in a weighed amount of beans and get that same weight out. No retention, although I would not use the technique with guests since I blow down the loading cylinder/funnel. I saw a camera lens hood used as a bellows somewhere but I have not found a hood that works, yet...

• expect to get a reply post to this from david hyde in about 2.6 nanoseconds!

lets see how long it takes him to come out of the woods

D-a-v-e!
  • Stephen, where did you get the plunger thing? Can I get that for my macap?
  • ps martin - the interesting bit about your grinder you haven't shown us - can you lift the hood and show us a pic of the inclined burr set - i think that makes the Eureka Mythos quite special
  • Alejandro Erickson post=1613 wrote: Stephen, where did you get the plunger thing? Can I get that for my macap?

I made it. Solid acrylic rod, high density Styrofoam for the "Gaskets" and acrylic tube that is machined to fit the throat of the grinder.

I could make one for a Macap if I had a casting of the throat for fitting the tube. For the Mazzer it has a tapered bottom edge(bevel) and I make it tight enough for allow air to not pass easily around it. I found that a single layer of scotch tape will also work as a gasket if I make it too small.

I have made several of them for this Mazzer but the other grinders that have square hoppers are a mystery to me. If I had exact throat dimensions, like down to the .001", I can make something.

Contact me at [email protected] Wish this site had a PM function...