This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

IMS baskets that work well with LONDINIUM lever espresso machines

Comments

• James Springfield post=3753 wrote: Dolo Cafe Supply in Australia, can supply the IMB baskets and screens

You mean IMS?

http://dolo.com.au/t/brand/ims-filtri-spa

• oops, I work at IMB :)
  • Received my ridgeless one (ES11136 16/22 g 26.5mm 715 holes) as well:

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]7bbeVsQ65bI
  • I ordered the B70 26.5 Double, B70 26.5 Single. and the B68 26.5. Can't wait to try out.
  • I'm going to order an IMS shower screen as well, does anyone have the correct part number?

thanks
  • James Springfield post=3786 wrote: I'm going to order an IMS shower screen as well, does anyone have the correct part number?

thanks

Either of the 2 E61 shower screens will fit.

I've got the integrated and it is very easy to clean.

The part numbers beginning ES aren't IMS part numbers but Espresso Services part numbers. There are loads of other (better) suppliers so I wouldn't worry too much, certainly if you are UK based Bella Barista are cheaper anyway.
  • I've had my B70 2T h26.5 for just under 2 weeks now and am pretty happy with it.

Mouthfeel is definitely improved, and shots taste a little bit sweeter. The extractions on the naked pf look nicer too, more even and more consistent (although some of this could be my mediocre barista skills!).

Well worth the investment.
  • Aaron Bhavsar post=3788 wrote: [quote=James Springfield post=3786]I'm going to order an IMS shower screen as well, does anyone have the correct part number?

thanks

The part numbers beginning ES aren't IMS part numbers but Espresso Services part numbers. There are loads of other (better) suppliers so I wouldn't worry too much, certainly if you are UK based Bella Barista are cheaper anyway.

yes aaron, you make a good point about the 'ES' codes - please ignore my references to them
    my biggest criticism of IMS products is the lack of a logical nomenclature for their product range
  • Reiss Gunson post=3790 wrote: [quote=Aaron Bhavsar post=3788][quote=James Springfield post=3786]I'm going to order an IMS shower screen as well, does anyone have the correct part number?

thanks

yes aaron, you make a good point about the 'ES' codes - please ignore my references to them
    my biggest criticism of IMS products is the lack of a logical nomenclature for their product range

Agree with you on that, it's annoying!
  • James Springfield post=3791 wrote: Thanks aaron

No worries!
  • Aaron Bhavsar post=3793 wrote: Agree with you on that, it's annoying!

Initially I did not even want to order a basket, reasoning "if they do their best to hide any meaning from me, I'd make a fool of myself if I went along and ordered something inexplicable."

Glad I did anyway though.
  • I'm very pleased with the initial results of the IMS baskets I ordered.

I want to keep trying them before I post any specific results, but they seem to work better than my VST baskets.

Big thanks to Reiss for testing and recommending them.
  • frans kindly sent me one of his Reneka micro filter baskets before i left London

i finally had a chance to try it out tonight

i think it improves the clarity, but i do think the price for this clarity is a reduction in the body of the shot

overall i think it is a well made product and worth the price of admission

i don't believe it can hold much more than about 16g however - this may be an issue for some, but not others

thank you very much for this basket frans, i am enjoying the different aspect it brings to a roast - sort of like a different filter for a camera lens
  • I really enjoy dosing the Reneka filter around 13-14g and pulling shots 25-30g.

I agree with Reiss that there is a reduction in the body compares to the IMS basket.

Anyway, I prefer low doses and smoother taste. I found that the IMS 24.5h works for me better than the IMS 26.5h (dosing 15-16g).
  • Stephen Sweeney post=3752 wrote: I have been using a 21g EPNW basket and a VST 22g ever since getting the L-I and I dose them to between 19-20g, maybe a bit more, and they work great! At 18g they lose something, like the thick creamy shots.

This is an update to my previous Posting. I just received the B70 1T h26.5 E and a B70 2T h26.5 M IMS baskets and pullled a bunch of shots comparing the VST, OEM, EPNW and the IMS for ease of use and precision.

The IMS baskets have conical holes where the VST and the OEM and the EPNW show square hole on the bottom with round on the inside. The OEM and the VST are clearly more well defined holes. I generated this site to show the differences.

http://mini4fun.info/IMS_Competition_Baskets/IMS_Baskets.html
  • hi stephen

yes the similarly in hole profile arises because the VSTs and our stock baskets are made in the same needle press facility in China, whereas the IMS baskets are made in Italy

for the avoidance of doubt i wouldn't suggest for a minute that the taste from our stock baskets is anything like a VST, due to ours having a pronounced taper and the other being straight sided, in addition to other differences like the open surface area in the bottom of the basket as a proportion of the total surface area of the bottom of the basket

i would be interested hear your thoughts on the taste differences/similarities between the baskets too
  • No, the taste profile is different indeed, and since I still do not have the B68 I cannot dose as high as 21.5g where I does the VST 22g. The IMS might be somewhere in between your OEM and the VST, maybe. It is fun to tinker and it is less expensive that golf :-)

I still want to try the B68 2T h26.5 E AND that "Single Cup" that Bella Barista shows, looks like an easy profile to tamp.

The USA Rep for IMS suggested trying the "1CUP FILTER "THE SINGLE" 12 gr H23.5 mm", so I am going to purse this to round out the bunch. That B68 is something that is still eluding me but I will really try to get one to measure and test.

I was really surprised to find such great accuracy in the OEM and the VST baskets over a basket that is labeled a Competition Basket!
  • I found the B70 Single Cup One Shot basket by IMS, sold by EPNW. It is headed my way and I could have it soon.

IMS makes several different models of this basket and I will include the text of the document below. Wish I could just attach the pdf. If you would like to see the PDF, and I would recommend it, I will gladly send it to you in an email. Very descriptive it is!

My email is [email protected]

exclusivityPremiering for the first time in the market!
    The Single 1 cup filter

The Single is a single filter for professional espresso coffee machines,
    revolutionary in terms of shape and performance, which allows a uniform,
    rich and balanced coffee extraction. Born as an alternative for those who love
    the taste and characteristics of a double extraction, but with only half the

NEW!
    quantity of coffee.
    The Single, one cup filter The Single is available for:
    Nuova Simonelli, Faema, Rancilio, La Spaziale, La Cimbali, Synesso, • The first and only that produces a compact coffee puck
    Marzocco • No need for a separate coffee grinder-doser setting

• Innovative shape
    • Round precision holes

External shape of the filter External shape of the filter
    Internal filter shape

Exclusive shape, absolutely new in the market.
    No gaps, for a homogeneous extraction.
    Maximum use of the coffee puck, which remains intact
    and compact.
    The filter is left cleaner than with regular filters.

Different heights

The heights are directly proportional to the quantity of coffee
    contained by The Single. This allows a perfect combination
    between the settings of double filter (i.e. 18 g) and
    The Single (i.e. 9 g), but using the same settings; it also requires
    no extra coffee (as it normally happens in a classic
    one-cup filter), keeping the same taste profile*.

Half-moon shape, with central holes.
    It balances the extraction speed, making it similar to the
    double filter, without modifying your grinder’s settings or
    adding extra coffee.

Round precision holes

Linear extraction, no risk of over-extraction and
    channeling.

* taste profile: what you need to expect from The Single‘s
    extraction, compared to the double, is a single espresso with
    a more balanced taste, slightly less rich, but with a long-lasting
    and very delicate aftertaste.
    The Single is available for:

Nuova Simonelli - Faema - Rancilio Synesso - Marzocco

LF Nr. gr. h.

7,5 gr

19,5 mm

1460301 9 - 10 gr 21 mm

7,5 - 8,5

21,5 mm

1460309 8,5 - 10 22,5 mm
    LF Nr. gr. h.
    1460302 11,5 - 12,5 gr 22,5 mm 1460310 11 - 13 25,5 mm
    The sizes are different and vary according to the group screens of your machine The sizes are different and vary according to the group screens of your machine
    La Spaziale La Cimbali

LF Nr. gr. h.

7,5 gr

22,5 mm

1460304 10 gr 24,5 mm

7,5 gr

20,5 mm

1460306 8,5 gr 21,5 mm
    LF Nr. gr. h.
    1460307 10 - 11 gr 23 mm

LF SpA • via Voltri, 80 – 47522 Cesena (FC)
    Export Dept.: Tel. +39 0547 34 11 50 • Fax: +39 0547 34 11 55 • www.lfspareparts724.com • [email protected]

LF3DE80

The machines and the dose weights and basket depths are listed. The LaMarzocco and the Nuova Simonelli baskets SHOULD work but the depth of the baskets varies pretty radically.
  • II'm going to receive next week the IMS One shot 8g and 12g LM/Synesso. :)
  • I am looking to order the ES11136 in the US. Could someone kindly tell me if this is the right part? (If not, please point me to the right supplier?)

http://www.espressoparts.com/precision-portafilter-basket-double-16-22-gr-cimbali-gaggia
  • Richard Wendell post=5317 wrote: I am looking to order the ES11136 in the US. Could someone kindly tell me if this is the right part? (If not, please point me to the right supplier?)

http://www.espressoparts.com/precision-portafilter-basket-double-16-22-gr-cimbali-gaggia

ES**** is just an item number Espresso Services use, it isn't an IMS product code.

You just need to match up the numbers and letters stamped into the basket.

IMS B68 2T H26.5 E

Looks fine to me.
  • Hello,
    I understand that discussion is about IMS basket but may I suggest the Reneka micro-sieve?
    I use it with 14,5 grams (26 g beverage) and have obtained the best shot up to now.
    Regards
    Martin
  • Reiss, Is this the sort of basket you would recommend for resolving my problems? Are they available in the US? Also, I should be clear that, in along with the better flavor, I DO find that the shots from my Spaziale have more crema and more long-lasting crema which are both very important to me.
  • hi mark

well, i like IMS baskets, but there are plenty of choices - VST, NWEP or whatever the ones are that Sweeney likes

i think we've reached the point where we should do our video call next - i see you have suggested times in another post that i will reply to shortly

if you could post a photo of the cup that you are pulling shots into with your pump machine and how you are measuring that - i.e. does it have a known volume mark on it? is it glass? are you weighing the shot? an image of an espresso from your pump machine would also be a useful reference

all I'm trying to do is create a common baseline between the machines as i am confident that if we create a like for like situation we will obtain a similar result, albeit not identical

at the moment you have the two machines set up differently, so differences in output are to be expected

kind regards

reiss.
  • Here is the large basket like, although a VST 22g works as well. EPNW, http://www.espressoparts.com/espresso-parts-hq-21g-triple-portafilter-basket

Here is the large IMS basket that seems to work. B70 2T h26.5 M, Competizione Baskets, photos are Posted in the Threads about IMS baskets and they are available through EPNW. So when you order the Espresso Parts Northwest 21HQ basket you can inquire about the IMS baskets since they are not in their online catalog. For what it's worth the EPNW part# is EP 1460104, also on the box is LFF870 which could be the IMS part #. It is listed as a 18-22g baskets and extracts very nice and dumps as well as the OEM 14-16g Londinium baskets.

As far as I know IMS products are distributed by LF company.

Any store who order parts from LF (almost any coffee parts store you probably know) can order those IMS baskets from LF directly if you just give them the LF catalog part number.

I have access to those catalogs and I have taken a few pictures from the 'barista tools' catalog so you can see all IMS products and part numbers.

BTW the numbers 26.5, 24.5 etc. when referred to IMS baskets are the height of the basket, you should look at baskets suitable for the E61 group (they fit the L1).

I like the 28.5, 26.5 and the 26.5 single basket.
    The integrated 200 shower screen also really nice as well...

Kfir.

Forgot to add the new single baskets and their new 'blend wheel system' (interesting).
  • Why not trying the Reneka micro sieve?
  • Kfir, thanks for Posting the catalog pages, once I received the baskets and screens I tossed out the paper pages.

That h28.5 is a straight walled basket isn't it? The h26.5 has that curved bottom and is the one I use, I also use the 200u shower screen, but the OEM work OK as well.

As for the Reneka Micro Sieve, I have never tried one and if I get bored I might try to figure out where to get one to try. Paying international shipping for something that is not a necessity is not high on my To Do List.

The IMS stuff seems to work fine and the new "The Single" works very well for single shots. I wonder why nobody thought of the design before? I had not seen the leveling device for the basket but it look like something anyone could make with thin, ridgid sheet material and an exacto knife. Do you have the IMS one Kfir?