This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

IMS baskets that work well with LONDINIUM lever espresso machines

get yourself an IMS competizione H70 2T h26.5 filter basket

it is easily the biggest performance uplift you can make to the L1 for a modest outlay

it is forgiving and will happily allow you to dose 20g all day long

it also gives a beautiful shot and you would have to try pretty hard to get a spritzer out of it

reiss.

Comments

• Thanks for the tip Reiss! :) I'm perfectly satisfied with the stock filter basket and have learnt how to work with it. I just noticed that for me it worked best with a dose around 14-17 grams (was used to around 19 grams on my La Spaziale). I'm very interested in trying the IMS competizione H70 2T h26.5 filter basket as well so i will try to find a dealer here in Sweden or on the internet.

Yesterday evening I really nailed my last extraction. 14 grams, medium tamp, 6 sec pre-infusion and 30 ml in the cup. Absolutely fantastic shot :) The shots before wasn't bad at all but that last one really pleased me. The beans were roasted april 1st and it was a blend of Monte Cristo Brasil, Guji Ethiopia and Schilcho Ethiopia, from my favorite roaster Solde here in Malmoe.

Oh, btw, thanks a lot for the plumb in parts you sent me last week! Super service! :)
  • yes, completely agree about the dose range for the stock basket - anything above 16g is really pushing it - i like 14.0g-15.8g
  • Today I got my new IMS Competizione filter baskets :)

Inside 14-20g

Inside 18-22g

Side view 18-22g

Side view 14-20g

14-20g

18-22g

• Stefan,
    Thanks for posting the pics...awaiting UPS delivery for mine. But what I really want to know: What's your opinion about difference(s) in the cup? :)
  • Hi Dan! Ran out of coffee before I hade the chance to test the new filter baskets, so I will have to come back with my verdict during the weekend. I don't expect a major difference in taste but hopefully I can make tasty extractions with more coffee in the filter and of course more espresso in the cup. Maybe the volume will affect the taste in some way, we'll see. New beans and more coffee in the filter will probably demand a new grind setting and maybe a change in pre-infusion time. What I like about the L1 is the feeling that I have more control over the extraction parameters and also fewer sink shots wile experimenting/calibrating. :)
  • Dan, I have been using a 22g VST ridgeless and a 23g(triple basket) from EPNW . They both give better shots with some beans when I dose them with 20.5g-21.5g. Both those doses are below the ridge line, or where a ridgeline would be and they produce some darn good shots with certain beans.

I have been using the Rwandan Kinunu this way and I like it, but when I drop the shot dose lower, like 15-16g, then not so good until I get to a 7g basket dosed to 10.5g Weird but that is whats happening in my kitchen :-)
  • Stephen Sweeney post=3517 wrote: Dan, I have been using a 22g VST ridgeless and a 23g(triple basket) from EPNW . They both give better shots with some beans when I dose them with 20.5g-21.5g. Both those doses are below the ridge line, or where a ridgeline would be and they produce some darn good shots with certain beans.

I have been using the Rwandan Kinunu this way and I like it, but when I drop the shot dose lower then not so good until I get to a 7g basket dosed to 10.5g Weird but that is whats happening in my kitchen :-)

Good and interesting feedback. I probably should just leave well enough alone...but I can't :D I found the VST baskets to be too persnickety for my ability...or lack thereof :D

I generally like bean doses in the 15-16g range (for 25-35g espresso...depending who's drinking it and with/without milk with an occasional ristretto). Having said that I've not played with the 7g/single baskets...but this might just suit my need for espresso flavor and less caffeine in the afternoon!

Will be interesting to taste/feel the difference with the IMS basket(s). Nothing broken...just experimentation really.
  • ps - the 28.5 straight sided one is really too large for the bottomless portafilter we sell at least and you will end up with espresso flowing down the underside of the wenge handle, rather than into your cup

the 26.5 on the other hand is an absolute gem that leaves other 'precision' baskets for dead
  • Reiss, does that "26.5" number refer to the maximum number of grams it is capable of holding?
  • hi stephen
    no, it is the height of the basket in mm
  • OK, thanks for the info. I will take the naked pf to a metal work shop and have the edge/flange ground a little more open so the pf can take the bigger/deeper filter basket.
  • Thank you Reiss!

Is that a measurement of the basket sitting on a table to the top of the rim? Inside depth?

It, the 26.5, sure is close to the VST 22g or the EPNW "triple", but a very different hole pattern.
  • off the top of my head IMS make that same filter, i.e. straight sided, ridge less, convex base in a shorter height that i think will work, e.g. 24.5mm

IMS make a lot of filters!

i think you would find it more satisfactory than opening out the bottomless as it will the need to be re-chromed
  • Thanks Reiss for the IMS info. I tried to put the filter baskets in the portafilters and they fit perfectly, but as you wrote the ridgeless straight sided 18-22g sits close to the edge/flange of the naked pf. I haven't made any extractions with it in place so I don't know how it will turn out. I switched filters in the portafilters so the 14-20g is in the naked pf and the 18-22g is in the double-pf. I'll be back with my "extraction report" soon :)
  • i also have an IMS Competizione B70/1T h=26.5 that i am enjoying using with 10g of coffee (1T = 1 tasse = single cup/single shot)
  • I am using the IMS competizione B68 2T H26,5 straight wall with 18g of coffee and it works really great.
    Regards
  • ah, that is helpful to know that the B68 (68mm diameter - measured at the widest point (the bottom) of the rolled lip) also fit the PF - i thought it may have been for a slightly different PF holder design

im not sure why IMS offer both B68 & B70

does anyone know the answer?
  • I've jumped on the IMS band wagon mainly as a desperate attempt to reclaim some lost espresso magic. I was tiring of the consistently overly acidic/unbalanced/under extracted (wasn't sure which one) results I was getting with the vst, kidding myself that this was "good". It wasn't. Not for me anyway. And no matter how exact I thought my routine was, the difference between getting a reasonable looking extraction and a donut extraction seemed to be almost random. No coffee I was having was truly satisfactory. Shockingly I was almost preferring my old ponte vecchio. It was doing my nut in.

Enter the IMS (B70/26.5 version 2T) based on Reiss' almost evangelical recommendation. Transformation was instant on the same 16.5 dose. On the Bolivian the acidity was reduced with the chocolate notes finally coming through. It was balanced. It had body. It was sweeter and finish was pleasant. It tasted as I thought it should and all is now well with the world. Halle-ruddy-lujah!!

I am beginning to think that the vst just isn't as suited to the LI. I can't begin to explain why. Quite a revelation too how much a basket can impact on taste.

So pleased I am with the IMS that also I have a single shot version of the B70/26.5. Intrigued to see how I go with that.
  • Is anyone using the B70/24.5 basket, and if so, what is the typical dose?
  • i think frans has that basket, but he can speak for himself
  • Checked and yes indeed, one of my many baskets is the B70 2T h24.5 M Lotto:30 IMS Competitione.

I have to go now, will be back home tomorrow so I can't test if, but my guess is 18g although I have also loaded 20g in it.

Much depends on the choice of beans, for instance very fresh beans outgas more during extraction and the CO2 then helps block the flow so you need to grind a little coarser then but then there's more volume and less weight in grinds fits in.

My impression is that with wonderful beans excellently roasted and well rested, in the optimal dose and grind for the basket and brew group, many types of baskets will do great.

Plus, a little change every now and then wakes up the senses and makes one happy.
  • Salvatore Taibi post=3559 wrote: Is anyone using the B70/24.5 basket, and if so, what is the typical dose?
    That is my second IMS basket and I am using 16 to 16,5 g in it. I do prefer the B68/26.5 ridgeless.
    Regards
  • Gentlemen, thank you for the replies.

The reason I ask is in my OEM basket I'm typically dosing in the 14.0-15.5g range. It seems the recommendations for the 26.5 IMS basket are calling for a much higher dose. This leads me to wonder if a more "direct" swap between the OEM and IMS wouldn't be with the slightly smaller 24.5 basket. I guess the best solution is to get them both and experiment!

FWIW, I still think the best shots I produce on my machine are using a LM single basket, dosing approximately 8g. Those singles are literally mind-blowing.

Thanks again!
  • Salvatore Taibi post=3563 wrote:
    FWIW, I still think the best shots I produce on my machine are using a LM single basket, dosing approximately 8g. Those singles are literally mind-blowing.

Salvatore,
    You are not the first person to state even better espresso from a single basket. It would be interesting to hear hypotheses from the espresso veterans that might explain this experience/difference.
  • For me, it probably has a lot to do with size. I always get the impression too many people are looking for more volume, when in my humble opinion, a single is the true size of espresso. In Italy, when you order espresso you get a single. Either it is a true single, or if you order alongside someone else, two cups are placed under double spouts. Either way, the volume is much smaller than what I normally see here in the US.

From my many trips to Italy, I always find I enjoy the small shot. For one, because I'm drinking them ALL day and ALL night. My wife, son and I walk... and walk... and walk... and break up our walks with food and cafè. The smaller shots make it feasible to drink espresso around the clock without any ill effects.

Also, I feel the smaller size condenses a lot of flavor into a small space. I haven't done side-by-side testing of true singles next to half-doubles, but it might be interesting.

To each his own, I guess.
  • Could you say how much weight of espresso you take out of a single basket? With 8-10g in the basket, do you extract 8-10g of espresso or 15g, for instance?

I just used 20g of Finca Tamana beans that I roasted light (Tonino #111, currently #94) a week ago, in the IMS basket, 5s pre-infusion at 1.4 bar, then 20.5g extraction in 30 seconds, 10.7% TDS so 'officially' rather underextracted but delicious to me.
  • Frans et al, I'm still experimenting with boiler pressure and its relation to final taste in the cup. Having said that the one somewhat common denominator: We generally prefer the taste of a majority of the espresso when pulled a bit under-extracted as you mention above. The fruitiness and profile seem to be, overall, more rounded and balanced.

Whereas normal to over-extracted typically yields more compressed flavor profile with some bitterness/light ash residual taste. Again this is bean and/or roast level independent.

And I'm using the double ridged basket that came with the LI...typically 15.5 to 16.0 grams and 25-35g espresso weight (wife prefers 50% or less ratio...while I prefer about 75% typically).
  • Dan Streight post=3568 wrote: Whereas normal to over-extracted typically yields more compressed flavor profile with some bitterness/light ash residual taste. Again this is bean and/or roast level independent.

I find that very freshly roasted beans are harder to get higher extraction rates from, understandably because they are so fresh and more CO2 is released, slowing down extraction. And some beans roasted darker than I usually prefer can extract way higher percentages even though I do not prefer their taste automatically.

If I draw 20g espresso from 20g of grinds, I love that on some beans, and others taste more "open" and rich when i extract 30g from the same weight of beans (and when I extract more, the total extraction percentage is higher also, of course).
  • Now this is an interesting conversation! (Not to imply the others are not, but this is the part of the "art" of espresso which I find so fascinating)

Frans, I'd say when I pull a single which makes me stop dead in my tracks, it is usually 10-12g from 8g of beans. When pulling doubles, I often find my favorites fall in the range of 63% extraction ratio (14g:22g or thereabouts, of course dependent on bean origin, roast, etc.). Typical time for a double would be in the 30-35s range, although the singles are a touch quicker, 20-25s. I think these numbers put me square in the ristretto category.

My machine is currently set at 1.2bar, and temp measured at the grouphead using one of EricS thermometers varies between 84-88 deg.

Because it is so easy to obtain beans so soon after roasting, it is possible to see how they change from literally 1-2 days post-roast all the way out as long as you want. I find the darker the roast, the more forgiving the beans, i.e., the better they handle the aging process.

Thanks for the great input!