This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM wireless espresso

Comments

• I am unfortunately in the same situation as the others. Got the app to connect a couple times but almost immediately drops. Connected to 2.4 network. Router is only one room over, signal is pretty strong. Not sure what else to do.
  • Today's attempt involved separating router 2.4 and 5GHz signals, followed by full uninstall of app. Reconnected on the 2.4GHz network confirmed on the router page. Once again I was able to connect and control the PI however app does not refresh the PI bar value, only slider, unless I quit and restart it.
    Then once again machine appears offline on both app and router and refuses to reconnect no matter how many app, phone or LR restarts I do. The WiFi plug I use for the LR is also on 2.4GHz and never drops the connection.
    Could it be something to do with permissions which restricts connection or maybe a faulty dongle?

Attached files

• Today's attempt involved separating router 2.4 and 5GHz signals, followed by full uninstall of app. Reconnected on the 2.4GHz network confirmed on the router page. Once again I was able to connect and control the PI however app does not refresh the PI bar value, only slider, unless I quit and restart it.
    Then once again machine appears offline on both app and router and refuses to reconnect no matter how many app, phone or LR restarts I do. The WiFi plug I use for the LR is also on 2.4GHz and never drops the connection.
    Could it be something to do with permissions which restricts connection or maybe a faulty dongle?
  • Christos Georgiadis post=16743 wrote: The WiFi plug I use for the LR is also on 2.4GHz

It is not clear to me what you mean by "WiFi plug" -- is it a device you push into the 230V / 110V wall socket that is then connecting / repeating a signal?

So far it seems it's really important for the LR device in its metal box to have a real strong signal nearby. One idea that has been suggested recently is getting a short RS232 extension cable enabling the dongle to be just a little outside the machine. But if the signal is strong enough, no problems should be there. If the signal is not strong enough, no amount of retries / restarts will make it stronger, I'm afraid. The phone in your hand might show a strong enough signal, but maybe not when it's inside the LR body ;-)
  • Hi Frans, thanks so much for your reply. By WiFi plug I meant a 230V Broadlink SP plug that I have as a WiFi timer for turning LR On/Off. That connects to 2.4GHz and connection is stable. I can't see how signal is an issue as I brought the router is plain view of the LR (distance approx 8m) and it made no difference. What is odd is that it will connect for a few minutes when the LR first comes on for the day and then only after is switch machine off for minimum 5min and turn on again. However not always.
  • Hi Christos,

Does it make a difference if you take out the smart switch that switches the machine on/off?

If that device is not near the machine and the connection is improved then the two devices being so close together might be a problem / interference.

Does it make a difference if you leave the metal side panel off of the LR?
  • I didn’t manage to find time to set mine up again this morning. I am going to try tomorrow morning now :)
  • Unfortunately the answer to both is no. I removed the smart plug and again it connects for a bit from cold but after what seems like a random number of minutes each time (this time it was 9 minutes) it loses connectivity and shows up as offline.
    Same goes for side panel, no improvement.
  • Hi
    Mine was working fine, until I moved machine to a new position in my kitchen, I estimate only about 1.5 meters further away from router.
    However this was enough to stop it connecting!
    Tonight I moved router to kitchen, not a five minute job! Bit at the minute all is well :-)
    It would appear that dongle signal is not as strong as it could be?

Cheers
    Simon
  • My impression is that the dongle needs a very good signal and it's like a canary in a mineshaft, the first thing to indicate a problem, in this case that the signal could be better. There are a lot of wifi devices available and not all are as excellent as some.
  • What's weird about it though is that it connects, works for a bit and then goes offline. Nothing is moved or added to the network in the interim. Had it just refused to connect full stop I would blame it on the signal but the intermittence of its functionality makes no sense. Either something is kicking it off the network because it doesn't grant it the correct permission or there is some hardware malfunction. I think Anita has pretty much the same issue .
  • Christos Georgiadis post=16751 wrote: What's weird about it though is that it connects, works for a bit and then goes offline. Nothing is moved or added to the network in the interim. Had it just refused to connect full stop I would blame it on the signal but the intermittence of its functionality makes no sense. Either something is kicking it off the network because it doesn't grant it the correct permission or there is some hardware malfunction. I think Anita has pretty much the same issue .

hi Christos

as an idea, try unplugging the LR and temporally setting it up close to your router and let us know what difference that makes, if any

kind regards

reiss.
  • yes ryan, an excellent idea.
  • For those of you having WiFi problems, this article may be useful:

https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/

Especially in an apartment environment, your neighbors' WiFi networks could be interfering with yours, causing the types of problems mentioned above (the LR connects, then drops the connection.)

If you can figure out which channels are in use around you and change your channel to one with fewer conflicts or interference, you might have more luck with the LR WiFi module.

Mike
  • Is anyone having app issues using the android version? If I change the pressure on the app, it changes the pressure on the machine, but I cant see what pressure I changed it to unless I hit the info button and leave the screen then come back to it. Obviously I'd like to slide the lever and see right away what i moved it to.
  • hi chris

any chance of a screen shot?

kind regards

reiss.
  • Sure. Let me kick on the machine and I'll grab a screen shot once up to temp.
  • Christopher Ursini post=16763 wrote: Is anyone having app issues using the android version? If I change the pressure on the app, it changes the pressure on the machine, but I cant see what pressure I changed it to unless I hit the info button and leave the screen then come back to it. Obviously I'd like to slide the lever and see right away what i moved it to.

Hi, I have the same issue as Chris has reported. The installation was problem free . When using the app on the phone, adjusting the bar with the slider, the value changes on the dongle display in real time in the LR but is static on the phone. In order to see the change in value I have to refresh the app.

Anyone else have this issue?
  • Unfortunately a narrow spiral staircase and a single phone plug make moving either LR or router an impossibility. Luckily I decided to switch internet providers yesterday, partly to deal with LR connectivity, so hopefully I can report back when I have a nice powerful router in June. I don't see it fixing itself before that, I just have to live with the 5 min LR off time each time I want dongle to reconnect and make a change for a wee bit longer.
  • Reiss Gunson post=16766 wrote: hi chris

any chance of a screen shot?

kind regards

reiss.

Here you go. The machine has been on for a couple of hours.

• hi chris

it moves in 0.1 bar increments with each push of the (+) or (-) button doesnt it?
  • Christos Georgiadis post=16771 wrote: Unfortunately a narrow spiral staircase and a single phone plug make moving either LR or router an impossibility. Luckily I decided to switch internet providers yesterday, partly to deal with LR connectivity, so hopefully I can report back when I have a nice powerful router in June. I don't see it fixing itself before that, I just have to live with the 5 min LR off time each time I want dongle to reconnect and make a change for a wee bit longer.

The narrow spiral staircase suggests the wifi signal needs to bounce around a lot to reach the machine and the dongle inside.

Hopefully the new provider will give you a powerful router to communicate with the dongle inside the box.

Overall it looks like one really needs a very good signal.

A good router can also be bought separately and connected to the provider's router, like

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Ultra-Performance-Whole-System/dp/B01K4CZOBS

Or a little router next to the LR, with a good CAT5 or CAT6 cable from it to the provider's entry point.
  • Haha I made it sound as though I live in a medieval turret. It's all open in fact, not many places for signal to be blocked. Took photo with LR just behind me with router positioned just at top of staircase.
    image It's just I wouldn't want to walk up then with 30kg of expensive metal in my hands. Let's hope the new router sorts it out otherwise I'll look into the Netgear you linked to, or a repeater.
  • Looks good. Even if the signal seems good when you're standing in the room looking at your phone receiving the wifi signal, it's good to imagine trying to have a conversation from one end of the room upstairs with someone inside a small metal box with a few openings in the bottom in the other end of the space one floor down.

It needs to come across as "loud and clear" as possible ;-0
  • John Falk post=16769 wrote: [quote=Christopher Ursini post=16763]Is anyone having app issues using the android version? If I change the pressure on the app, it changes the pressure on the machine, but I cant see what pressure I changed it to unless I hit the info button and leave the screen then come back to it. Obviously I'd like to slide the lever and see right away what i moved it to.

Hi, I have the same issue as Chris has reported. The installation was problem free . When using the app on the phone, adjusting the bar with the slider, the value changes on the dongle display in real time in the LR but is static on the phone. In order to see the change in value I have to refresh the app.

Anyone else have this issue?

i have asked about the above issue and the reply is;

it’s being sorted, only found out overnight.
    somethings changed when they moved the reading to the centre. be sorted in a few days
  • Reiss Gunson post=16773 wrote: hi chris

it moves in 0.1 bar increments with each push of the (+) or (-) button doesnt it?

Yes. I essentially need to press the buttons the number of 0.1 increments I want then hit the info button and then come back to the main screen to see the change. Not a huge deal.
  • Thank you as always Reiss for your persistent diligence in getting this and all the issues sorted out in a timely manner. You do good work and it is appreciated.