This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM wireless espresso

Comments

• Thank you Reiss. And thanks for the router info. I Have looked at our settings now and can see it is easy to change.

I will see how I get on with the extension cable, siting the dongle out of the case, today. As it is, I have no problem installing the App and set-up.
  • please try it again after you break out the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals before you add the cable as i honestly believe it is not necessary; we have not gone for a second rate solution or cut corners on this project.
  • Will do - in fact, the office router is only 2.4GHz so I can tap into that one, thinking about it.
  • We are connected to the NETGEAR 2.4GHz now. That part went ok. Machine of, on, phone off and on, and everything connected without any trouble.

Excellent. So far. As soon as the panels went on, it wouldn’t connect again. Panels off, extension cable attached, dongle sitting on the counter top and it connects ok every time. This seems better. I am happy with this arrangement!

Except . . . I am not sure how to get the panels back on with the cable in the way now though!
  • If there isn’t an alternative we could possible cut the back panel to allow the dongle and cable to pass through. Just by cutting a couple of the horizontal sections of the grid.
    How much would a replacement rear panel be, Reiss. I would naturally like to have one to hand if I were to sell my L-R in the future.
  • Anita Cross post=16828 wrote: We are connected to the NETGEAR 2.4GHz now. That part went ok. Machine of, on, phone off and on, and everything connected without any trouble.

Excellent. So far. As soon as the panels went on, it wouldn’t connect again. Panels off, extension cable attached, dongle sitting on the counter top and it connects ok every time. This seems better. I am happy with this arrangement!

Except . . . I am not sure how to get the panels back on with the cable in the way now though!

what distance is this 'office' router from the machine? how many walls lie between the machine and the 'office' router if a straight line is drawn between the two? what is the construction of these walls? timber framed cavity walls with plaster board? brick plastered walls? plastered stone walls 12" thick? something else?
  • Anita Cross post=16829 wrote: If there isn’t an alternative we could possible cut the back panel to allow the dongle and cable to pass through. Just by cutting a couple of the horizontal sections of the grid.
    How much would a replacement rear panel be, Reiss. I would naturally like to have one to hand if I were to sell my L-R in the future.

drill straight down through the chassis.
  • It is 8m away, the wall is stone with lime mortar and thatch roof. There are 3 bars signal strength showing on the phone. But this must be the problem because it has lost the connection again and is unable to 'see' the machine when I restart the App.
  • Something like this would be easy to route out the side of the machine with plenty of clearance because it has a flat ribbon cable. Then you could just Velcro the dongle to the chassis somewhere easily.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292459859320

Mine has been working like a champ since I forced it to use the 2.4 GHz frequency.
  • Feature Request:: add online/offline indicator to main screen
  • please note: if your machine disconnects from the app, you should be able to reconnect it simply by turning the machine off for 30 seconds and turning the machine back on; you should not need to remove the side panel and depress the button on the dongle.
  • duplicate

Attached files

• bill castellano post=16833 wrote: Something like this would be easy to route out the side of the machine with plenty of clearance because it has a flat ribbon cable. Then you could just Velcro the dongle to the chassis somewhere easily.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292459859320

Mine has been working like a champ since I forced it to use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Thank you! This was the answer for me. Just received the cable. It attaches securely to the digital module and the panels are able to snap back into place with out being obstructed by the thin flat cable. I have the dongle mounted on the wall behind the machine with velcro and now I’m connected and without issues.

Also, I use a netgear orbi which combines the 2.4/5 signal, and that does not seem to be affecting my connection.
  • I never imagined a Faraday cage masked as a world-class espresso machine.
  • Can't be the machine.... if that was the case, everyone would run into the same problem...

Mine worked from the first time... new machine, new dongle... I can control it from anywhere in the house and even if standing outside in front of the house... It sits next to another machine (see photo). No issues.

• bill castellano post=16856 wrote: I never imagined a Faraday cage masked as a world-class espresso machine.

Hah, it is curious why it’s an issue for some people and not others. Either way, several hours later and still no problem connecting with the app now that the dongle is mounted outside of the casing. Night and day difference.
  • hi ryan

thank you for taking the time to report back; im really pleased its up and running for you as this project started in september 2017. i will be approaching anita and christos with a view to getting it resolved for them too

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thank you for all the effort you put into this project, Reiss. Being able to control PI from the app is the icing on the cake for this machine. Not having it working at first certainly didn't take away from the joy of using it each day, but I'm glad to have it sorted out now.
  • My latest update!

We bought a WiFi extender/plug, a single channel 2.4GHz as recommended. Set up for that took 20 seconds. Ian went to set up his Android phone. That was the only device we could get the dongle working on, albeit intermittently, before. He tried everything but it wouldn’t connect. Deleted the App, logged out, set up new machine, etc making sure the phone was connected to the extender of course (he deleted the other routers) but no, it wouldn’t get past the stage where it tells you ‘can’t find network' (I think that was the wording but sorry if it isn’t exactly correct).

He opened his iPad to go read up on the extender and noticed his iPad had connected to it automatically so he opened the Londo App with a view to trying to set it up, just in case his Android had a problem with the extender. Lo and behold!!, the L-R WAS CONNECTED! I said, "it won’t be because you haven’t actually set it up yet." But it was! We pulled a shot and adjusted it and it was obviously working perfectly. We then did a few things, closed his phone and app, turned the L-R off, went outside, came back and turned everything back on and yes!!!, it was still working!!!

"Great," says I, "I will connect MY iPad now." Whatever we did and however we tried it would not work! Ian’s iPad was switched off, I deleted the two routers on my iPad and just kept the extender, and we tried everything but it wouldn’t get past the stage where it says 'final checks' (I think) and it was flickering too (I hadn’t ever encountered that before) so, it means it could see the extender, and kind of joined, but wouldn’t get past the final checks. Tried my iPhone too and it was exactly the same.

Oh well, Ian’s iPad works (most of the time, it has dropped the connection a few times but then automatically reconnects without having to do anything) and having tried a few different settings I am back at around 4.6 which seems to be the sweet spot for our taste and beans!

Funnily enough I was in the kitchen making coffee on my own yesterday and noticed the lever grab position had changed slightly. Hmmmmm . . . Anyway, I took our coffees out to Ian in the garden. He was chucking to himself . . . he’d adjusted the pi, from the garden, connected to the NETGEAR router in the office. He was another 12 metres further away from that, making it about 22 metres to the L-R kitchen!

I am baffled by it all but happier now we have a working dongle and module.

(Please allow some lenience on my terminology, I am not an IT expert. I have tried to relay the experience as best I can in lay(wo)mans terms!)
  • Just to be clear, this is without the extension cable, the dongle is mounted inside the case on to the module as it should be (in case it wasn’t clear).
  • Anita Cross post=16862 wrote: We bought a WiFi extender/plug, a single channel 2.4GHz as recommended. Set up for that took 20 seconds. )

So that was the one thing you changed that made it all work? What brand/type/model did you get?

I control my LR machine, my girl friend controls her LR machine. We have not tried to control each other's machine. I'm not sure if it's designed for multiple phone / app users of one machine.
  • Yes, that is correct. It was this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WiFi-Expander-Booster-Extender-Compatible/dp/B07WP3HJ4S/ref=sr_1_15?crid=14IXAK7YXQYHG&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+extender&qid=1590959686&refinements=p_72:419153031&rnid=419152031&sprefix=WiFi+exte,aps,171&sr=8-15

I hadn’t thought about it not being able to connect 2 separate phones (I kind of thought it would be like a wireless printer, say, and I use that with 5 different devices).
  • I connect from both my phone and my iPad, without any trouble. But that’s only a single machine. Seems to work fine that way.
  • I connect from both my phone and my iPad, without any trouble. But that’s only a single machine. Seems to work fine that way.