This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM wireless espresso

Comments

• Anita Cross post=16697 wrote: Here are a couple of photos of settings . . .

It looks like it's all at 6.0 bar, the max. I only use that if I need to 'tame' filter roasts.

Pump delay time could be set lower I think.
  • Thank you, Frans. Yes, roast level is subjective without a meter, I know. I am set at 4.4 now and will see what the taste is like with my shot later this afternoon.

Attached files

• Hi
    Thanks for that, had to try it twice, second time held for about 10 seconds, then it worked.
    Your a star.
  • Am I missing something, Frans?! I used my phone for a call, went back to the App and it says it is offline. Where exactly do I go to ask it to make the connection again?
  • Simon Skeggs post=16703 wrote: Hi
    Thanks for that, had to try it twice, second time held for about 10 seconds, then it worked.
    Your a star.

You mean the long button press worked / solved the issue? That's great!
  • Anita Cross post=16704 wrote: Am I missing something, Frans?! I used my phone for a call, went back to the App and it says it is offline. Where exactly do I go to ask it to make the connection again?

Making a call should not break the connection of the app. If, while calling you'd be wandering off where you don't have an internet connection, I could see how the app would temporarily not 'see' the machine.

When the app is on, it will keep trying to connect, no need to manually make it connect again. Tried machine off / on ?
  • Yes, long continuous press of button worked.
  • Simon Skeggs post=16707 wrote: Yes, long continuous press of button worked.

Great -- one by one everyone succeeds to get the connection.
  • Frans, I *think* I have narrowed it down. Side panel on - loses connection. Side panel off - stays connected. Maybe.
  • Thanks Frans
    Worth the trouble

Cheers
  • I am looking at something like this now.
  • Anita Cross post=16709 wrote: Frans, I *think* I have narrowed it down. Side panel on - loses connection. Side panel off - stays connected. Maybe.

Ah good. So it would seem a signal strength issue. As escape plan the short RS232 cable could be a solution.
    https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-25211-Extension-Cable/dp/B000ZKQZDG/ref=sr_1_3
  • Anita Cross post=16711 wrote: I am looking at something like this now.

No picture attached?
  • This may be a dumb question bit what is the effective of raising and lowering the pump interval? I don't think I've ever played around with that setting only the pre infusion pressure.
  • Sorry . . . Trying again! Adding as a file!

• Jacob Shapiro post=16714 wrote: This may be a dumb question bit what is the effective of raising and lowering the pump interval? I don't think I've ever played around with that setting only the pre infusion pressure.

Good question really.

As the water dashes through the shower screen onto the puck, the filling of that space by the pump stops as soon as the set pressure is reached. At the rear end,m so to say, cold water has entered the circuit and at the other extreme end the hot water is soaking into the puck, the coffee grinds.

The cold water in the very back heats up and expands, raising the pressure somewhat while on the front end the water soaking into the puck lowers the pressure.

As soon as the pressure is below the set value, the pump kicks in, at a set delay.

You can set that delay to zero or near zero and the pump will be very responsive, kicking in in short bursts. If you set it to 1-2 seconds, the pump will behave more laid-back.

It depends on your preference. I don't think one would notice a difference in taste in a blind test between the settings.
  • I have had various issue ls over time with connection in the house.
    I eventually fitted a Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi with a base and one satellite.
    Solved all the issues throughout the house.
    Other systems are available but I would recommend.
    Sometimes a local plug based booster works but I didn’t find them very effective.

My app and connection has been very stable now set up.
  • I have had various issue ls over time with connection in the house.
    I eventually fitted a Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi with a base and one satellite.
    Solved all the issues throughout the house.
    Other systems are available but I would recommend.
    Sometimes a local plug based booster works but I didn’t find them very effective.

My app and connection has been very stable now set up.
  • My dongle arrived today. Setup was straightforward, and the dongle works well for me. I did not see any wireless problems yet, but it's already too late to pull a shot, so I have to wait until tomorrow to test out the remote adjustment for real. Finally I was able to put the side panel back on the machine! Thanks Reiss for your work on this!

I'm fairly confident adjusting my wifi setup at home, so eventually I'll move the dongle over to my dedicated, heavily firewalled 2.4GHz IoT network but adjusting firewall rules is not something I enjoy on a Friday afternoon. Right now the Londinium is temporarily connected to my regular AP. I would have preferred a Bluetooth BLE dongle that didn't require internet access, but I realize the world is moving towards IoT, so I have to move on and enjoy my machine instead :)

I have just one minor suggestion for the product. As several others mentioned, the dongle feels slightly loose in the serial port. I'd recommend adding a couple thumb screws to make it more secure, I would hate for the dongle to unexpectedly fall out and short out something inside the machine!
  • Another happy user here. The setup was easy with the video Reiss has posted. Had an issue with the app repeatedly asking for permission to turn on WiFi, which basically blocked my Android phone. I had to reboot, the phone and add this permission manually, which has solved the issue.
  • Hello, I just wanted to share an experience that may be helpful to others. While setting up my device I failed to capitalize the first letter of my WiFi network. Once I tried to add the LR to my network, it stalled at the "Waiting for the device" part of the set up. If this is covered elsewhere, apologies!
  • I guess I should count myself lucky... Got my machine and dongle last Friday and everything installed without a problem.

I do want to go back in and get some screws on the dongle to make sure vibration does not makes it fall off... will pull those from an old monitor's vga cable :)
  • Dongle worked out of the box - I'm glad that I can now put my side panel back on. Pretty amazing that this update is provided to the customer for free.

Thank you!
  • Anita Cross post=16715 wrote: Sorry . . . Trying again! Adding as a file!

hi anita

are you sorted?

the trick is to follow the instructions i have placed in the permanent file, which i have updated again today having spent the afternoon with my father's machine playing with the different ways that we could confuse the app and the dongle connection

one way to turn it into a knot is if you select a 5GHz wireless network instead of a 2.4GHz wireless network because no error messages are produced to alert you to a 5GHz signal not being a valid connection, yet a proper connection is not possible. this can occur quite easily if your mobile phone is connected to the 5GHz wireless signal

the only incorrect instruction i found in the app is the reference to the blue light, which is obscured by the casing so it is unable to be seen

as you know, this wasn't something we rushed to market so i am reasonably confident of its abilities, whilst still being open to the challenges that some end user environments may throw up

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss :-)

No, I’m not! I have uninstalled the App just now and will start at the very start again and ONLY follow the instructions on the App and report back. It’s going to be a Sunday morning job!
  • I'm in the same boat as Anita still. I even moved the router this morning so that it is in direct view of the LR which made no difference. It definitely connects but for maybe 5-10% of the time that the LR is on. It will mostly appear as offline and can only get it to re-establish connection by turning machine off for a minimum of 5 min. Any less and no luck. Then it might stay connected for 2 minutes or maybe even 15.. what and why it disconnects is a mystery to me.

The app has now developed more issues where it shows a blanck interface when I launch and needs to be restarted. And in the past few days when I move the PI bar (when machine online) it will move the bar but not change the number unless app is restarted.

I don't see how a reinstallation will resolve these issues seeing the connection has already been successful but I'm willing to try if you think it might help.

Thank you
    Christos
  • Anita Cross post=16735 wrote: Hi Reiss :-)

No, I’m not! I have uninstalled the App just now and will start at the very start again and ONLY follow the instructions on the App and report back. It’s going to be a Sunday morning job!

trying to install the app on another phone might be incredibly insightful in my experience

my father was having a lot of trouble with his (getting it connected and then turning the LR off and not being able to reconnect, etc, etc) and then we tried installing the app on my phone, and then my mothers phone, and they both worked seamlessly, first time

that prompted us to return to my father's phone and examine what we had entered in the app

it revealed that he had his 5GHz wifi name in the field in the app where it asks you to enter the name of a 2.4GHz wireless network

this will completely screw things up

once we entered the name of the 2.4GHz network into the app on his phone it worked on his phone too

i would describe his wireless signal as shaky - he has it set to 2.4GHz on his phone because the signal is too intermittent on 5GHz and he has rooms in the house with no signal at all

the wireless router is upstairs from the kitchen where the LR is and he now has the case on the machine and it has remained connected no problems at all

if we can get it to stay connected on his fairly basic internet connection im confident we can solve it for most users

i did notice that the older phones are more hesitant - my newish iPhone is very fast, my mothers old SE (i think) is was slower, and my fathers phone is an even older iPhone and it was slower again

the point of the story being that they are in no way tech savvy and certainly dont have anything beyond the free router that is provided with the ISP and they have the entry level fibre connection which might sound impressive but it is fairly slow
  • whilst i think of it, some routers allow you to combine the 2.4GHz signal and the 5GHz signal into a signal wireless network name and the router is meant to have the ability to decide/detect which signal to connect a device to

that may cause an issue if you have that option turned on; i would recommend turning that option off in your router settings so you can see both the 2.4GHz network name and the 5GHz network name so you can be sure that you are connecting the dongle to the 2.4GHz network

reiss.
  • For fun, I placed my wifi source right next to the machine. I had no connection problems before and still no issue ;-) My girl friend has the wifi router in the other end of the apartment with the hallway in between and the LR is in the back corner of her kitchen, also no connectivity issues.

I think it's like radio receivers -- they need a signal to receive, preferably a strong signal.
  • Same issue as Anita and Christos here. I get it to connect for a minute and then it drops. Router is one room over, no issues with signal strength. Connected to 2.4 network. Now the app can’t even find the Londinium at all. I’m not sure what else to do.