This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM wireless espresso

Comments

• hi jacob

we have run out of the IMS 35 micron screen and have written to IMS a few weeks ago asking to place another order, but no reply

i suspect it could be months before we get anything out of italy

hopefully i am wrong

kind regards

reiss.
  • Oh well such is life.

Hopefully you hear back soon and can get a restock in soon. I guess I'll "make due" with the standard for the time being.
  • This has made my day. Maybe even my week.

As it happens I was also looking to pick up a couple more IMS screens to combine postage. Alas, another time.
  • Bit of initial feedback, as I'm prepping for receiving the delivery today - Is it expected behaviour in the app to require an account?

I thought I had read either here or somewhere else, that there was initially an account required for beta testers, but the production version should remove that requirement. However, upon skimming this entire thread again I can't seem to find any reference to that - I could have dreamed it up.

These days I kind of expect to need to sign up for virtually everything, and it just is what it is. On the other hand it's nice to have an option to opt-out if local-only access is required, as some smart devices offer (though not as many as should). Is this something enforced from the Blynk side of things, and is it for anything other than Blynk capturing info?

Also note the links to T&Cs and Privacy policy forward to empty pages, in this day and age of data privacy hyper-awareness potentially problematic.
    The links directed are https://londiniumespresso.com/store/terms and https://londiniumespresso.com/store/privacy
    Could be a case of links for the old site not getting updated to the new links? Since there are terms/privacy pages there.
  • Up and running, couple more points of feedback - probably already known and considered but I'll make them anyway.

1) The pressure gauge loops at 10 in my app - i.e. you switch on, it climbs to the end of the gauge, and then loops and settles at ~1.5 bar
    2) Making large changes to the interval time takes some doing, one by one - increments of 50-100ms could be more user friendly, and I don't think it would sacrifice control, unless someone tells me they can tell the difference in the cup between 1500ms and 1501ms
    3) Is there any concern of the module working its way loose over time? Between gravity and vibration doing their work, could manifest in some general weirdness with partial/intermittent contact of the pins.

Don't take any of this as having a moan of course, I'm absolutely over the moon with it, and the process of shucking the machine to install it really drives home what a game changer it is.

Awesome work overall, and kudos on getting it all together, especially in such a tidy package that just works, and is properly plug and play.
  • hi joshua

thank you for taking the time to write

i agree with you about the pressure display only going to 10 bar

fine adjustment of the pump delay parameter being a bit of a pain i also agree with, but the foil to that is i have mine set to 10mS since some time in 2018 and realised a few months back that i never change it anymore

as a result this parameter will not be user editable in future releases and will disappear from future versions of the app so that will solve that

kind regards

reiss.
  • Help! I got the dongle quickly thanks to DHL. I have no QR code anywhere and I searched the entire package twice to make sure.

How do I register it?

The dongle was in a small clear zip lock bag by itself, in a white envelope with no additional papers. The dongle has no code markings.

Thanks!
  • hi bill

if you are logged in you should be able to access the instructions in the permanent file, here; https://londiniumespresso.com/forum/permanent-file/1532-installation-instructions-for-the-wireless-dongle-for-the-londinium-r

let me know

reiss.
  • Thanks! Excited to give it a whirl.

A note to future users. Download the LONDINIUM app (not the Blynk app) and create a new Londinium App account (it’s separate from your Londinium web account).
  • After initially setting mine up yesterday and it working as expected I then nipped out for my walk. Upon return it wouldn’t connect and couldn’t 'see' the dongle. I rebooted the home router this morning, as suggested by Reiss (thank you), deleted the App, re downloaded it and logged in again and this time it 'found' the dongle (I didn’t have to remove the side panel to press the little button).
  • Here, switching the machine off and on again usually helps, if the app does not seem to find the machine.
  • Having come to make my second morning coffee I find the App is offline and won’t simply reconnect. I have tried turning the L-R on and off a several times, waiting several seconds each time, to no avail. I have once again uninstalled the App. This hasn’t worked either this time! My patience is wearing thin . . . if I am doing something wrong then please let me know!
  • Is the router / wifi station far away from your kitchen so the signal could be weak where the machine is?

By the way, if the pre-infusion pressure is okay, you don't need the app to make your espressos at all of course.

And if you urgently need to change the pre-infusion pressure you can still press the buttons on the module to accomplish that.

Then, with the delicious espresso in your cup it's a more relaxed thing to find out why the connection seems off.
  • Hi
    I received my wireless dongle, fitted as per instructions, & I can’t get it to work.
    The WiFi is strong in my kitchen, as it’s not far from router.
    I’ve downloaded app, filled in router name & password
    Gone to settings/WiFi pressed button on dongle, but can’t see it!
    I see started router as well as deleted & re installed app.
    Switched machine off & on many times, all with no joy. Any ideas please?
  • Anita Cross post=16682 wrote: Having come to make my second morning coffee I find the App is offline and won’t simply reconnect. I have tried turning the L-R on and off a several times, waiting several seconds each time, to no avail. I have once again uninstalled the App. This hasn’t worked either this time! My patience is wearing thin . . . if I am doing something wrong then please let me know!

hi anita

if you have a dual band wireless router that many people probably now have, i.e. 2.4GHz and 5GHz, please connect to the stronger 2.4GHz signal

if you have the side of the machine on which the dongle is located pushed hard into a corner i suspect that will cause a problem, especially if it is a cast iron aga or similar

let me know

reiss.
  • Thank you, Reiss, yes I’m on 2.4GHz in the house, and no it isn’t in a corner, it’s part way along the worktop, wall behind and space to the sides. It’s a very strong signal in the kitchen.

I popped the side off again to set it back to where it has always been, made my shot, and I am now listening to the birds tweeting in the garden!
  • I couldn’t connect initiallly despite strong signal but machine in corner of kitchen cabinet was clearly affecting it initially for connection.
    Removing panel and redoing process worked.
    I then had a single issue of the app freezing but an off/on of machine sorted. Was then fine for the rest of the day.

About to make my first of today so will report after.
  • Have returned to the machine today. Fired up the app. All good. Worked as expected. Still connected and data readout live.
  • Have returned to the machine today. Fired up the app. All good. Worked as expected. Still connected and data readout live.
  • Simon Skeggs post=16684 wrote:
    I’ve downloaded app, filled in router name & password
    Gone to settings/WiFi pressed button on dongle,

From what I remember, it's good to press the button on the dingle and *then* find that dongle /Londinium in your list of available active open wifi 'routers' in the phone, and on from there.
  • No luck here. Had maybe 30 minutes of total success since yesterday when it worked beautifully. Took a few goes for it to pair on both yesterday and today. Out of the blue the device will then appear as offline on the app. Restarted app, machine, wifi in every possible order to no avail. I't's now been 4 hours, I give up, for today at least. WiFi in kitchen is very strong and despite machine being in a corner it is pretty much in the router's direct trajectory. Hopefully it's something an app update can sort out rather than a hardware issue.
  • General observations, unrelated specifically to this...

- Consumer networking and wifi hardware is a burning dumpster fire, no exceptions. Devices with weak signal (or frankly, decent signal too) popping onto and off of the network can quickly lead to dropped devices and routers with their knickers in a twist requiring a restart. My experience of moving from "good" all-in-one consumer gear to SMB networking gear has been one of moving regular restarts, issues, dropped devices, inconsistent speeds and so on, to one of setting and forgetting in perpetuity.

- General wifi signal is a fickle beast, signal can vary dramatically throughout a room, and would have a tendency to drop out closer to "things", rather than in free air. Being inside a steel frame and case won't help either. A short extension cable to remove the dongle from inside the casing could help?
  • Hi Frans
    Thanks for that, I’ve tried it that way, & every other way I can think of, it doesn’t show in the WiFi list on my iPhone.
    The wireless strength is very good in my house, it still works on my phone at the top of my drive, which is at least 6 X the distance that the machine is from router.
    I can also confirm 2.4ghz.
    Thanks
  • Joshua Moore post=16692 wrote: General observations, unrelated specifically to this...
    A short extension cable to remove the dongle from inside the casing could help?

Great idea!

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-25211-Extension-Cable/dp/B000ZKQZDG/ref=sr_1_3
  • Simon Skeggs post=16693 wrote: Hi Frans
    Thanks for that, I’ve tried it that way, & every other way I can think of, it doesn’t show in the WiFi list on my iPhone.

Hi Simon,

As far as I can tell there's only one way it works, so it's important to be exact and specific. Dongle in machine (maybe leave metal side panel off for now), machine switched on after inserting dongle, pressing the button on the dongle, seeing the Londinium appear in wifi list on phone (which phone?), selecting that device to connect the phone with, and onwards.

Correct?

Frans
  • I followed this procedure again, setting it up as a new device again, and I am connected.

Please can you tell me where to set it so I can get the panels on and leave it for now, I use predominately medium to medium/light roasts, sometimes filter roasts, single origin.
  • Here are a couple of photos of settings . . .

Attached files

image image image image
  • Anita Cross post=16696 wrote: I followed this procedure again, setting it up as a new device again, and I am connected.

Superb!
    Anita Cross post=16696 wrote:
    Please can you tell me where to set it so I can get the panels on and leave it for now, I use predominately medium to medium/light roasts, sometimes filter roasts, single origin.

light and medium are fairly wide-margin terms. As a roaster I measure the roast color and that, combined with the time the beans were in the roaster, specifically the last stage of the roast, can tell a lot more about how well developed the beans are.

Having said that, it sounds like I would set it at 4.5bar and see how that goes. Further tweaking can be done by grind setting and dosing also.

Enjoy!
  • Hi
    Yes, I’ve done it that way. It never appears in the WiFi list on my phone.
    I’ve connected many other things this way before, with no issues.
    It’s an iPhone 10 S.
    Cheers
  • In order to have the dongle show up as an available WiFi to connect, I found that I had to depress the button on the dongle for 3-5 seconds. When I tried a simple press-and-release, it did not work for me.

Also, some WiFi routers have a "feature" where they will deliberately kick devices off the network if they are not in use. Most routers have a way via their settings to identify specific devices that must remain on the network. Something worth looking into for those of you who find the dongle disconnects from your WiFi repeatedly.