This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

What grinders are we all using? How good are they?

To those of you that know me then you already know my fascination and love of great grinders, for those of you that don't, I refurb grinders as a hobby/love and then move them on to new appreciating homes, however I would love to know which grinder/s you use with your L1, why and what results you are getting?

To start things off, I have elected to use a Compak K10 fresh with my L1, I have used most of the grinders out there, including the hg1, kony,robur, k30 etc but have found that the grind consistency and ease of use of the k10 are superb, once dialled in both to grind and dose, it is so easy, portafilter in and approx 4 seconds later, a perfect mound of coffee ready for nutation and loading. The draw back is retention, but I use a semi full small hopper and consume and make a lot of espressos throughout the day. It is not suited to single dosing like the versalab or hg1 but is really convenient and super accurate.

The shot clarity with the k10 fresh is fantastic, much more mouthfeel and clarity than a comparable flat burr grinder like the k30. I truly believe that to get the very best from the L1 you should invest in a great grinder.

So over to you what and why folk?

Comments

• I use the HG One (with Stephens wonderful super-magnetic acrylic mod) and the Mazzer Mini (with super jolly burrs). I took out the 'finger protection' and antistatic mesh from the Mazzer and replaced the hopper with an aluminum part.

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2013/04/modifying-mazzer-mini.html

At my girl friend's place I use the Mahlkönig which I've also used for the L1:
    http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2013/06/mahlkonig-vario-home-modhopper.html

Single dosing, and with the retention down to practically zero on all three, I prefer the HG One. When I did a lot of temperature measurements, I was grinding away all day and my elbow started to hurt. Then for a while I used the Mazzer and now I'm mostly back to the HG One.
  • Great topic Dave.

I use a 71mm HG-one. Previous to that I was using a mazzer mini E, which I disliked allot. The dosing was inaccurate, retention was huge and the adjustment was a pain. Not to mention all the coffee I wasted purging before every session and the coffee I purged when the grind needed adjustment.

This is why I opted for the HG-one. I wanted a titan conical, which would be condusive to single dosing. The grinder has very little waste, the adjustment is very tactile and satisfying and I enjoy the portability of the grinder. I also like turning the handle, which isn't for everyone but I love it.

I have added a paper scale for adjustment and Stephen Sweeny's acrylic basket and portafilter magnet mods.
  • I use a K30 and HG-one with my L1. The K30 is extremely comfortable, quite fast and not noisy. I use it for 90 %
    of my shots. The best grind I get is from my HG-one.
    I also had a pimped versalab and a big conical, Ceado E 92. The grind of the M3 was as good as from the HG, but i
    prefer handling of HG.
    The grind of the big conical was maybe a bit smoother than the K30, but overall I prefer the mahlkoenig.
  • I use a Mignon almost exclusively as I find it a great match. When I get tired of that, I switch on my K 10 Fresh!
  • Hello All,

I was using the LaCimbali jr max hybrid and it eventually made great grinds. It took awhile to break in, but I switched up for an HG one.

I was just frustrated that the Cimbali had a doser and the beans would popcorn up and down, thus never giving me the single dose I put in every time.

The Hg One is what I should've got initially- What goes in comes out. Built nicely and USA made. It's not been smooth with the HG One either though. I'm getting a lot of the micro spurts with the shots. Seems like the spurts were going away, but they are more aggressive now that I'm using the L1.

Anyone else experience the micro spurts and if there is anything besides breaking the grinder to reduce it?
  • joe jeczen post=439 wrote: Anyone else experience the micro spurts and if there is anything besides breaking the grinder to reduce it?

When I see any, I know I must grind (sometimes just a little) finer.

I assume you already add two-three drops of water to the beans, from the tip of your finger?

Have you tried a longer pre-infusion? I usually count to seven, sometimes I play with longer pre-infusions, if for instance I feel that my roast is a little on the light side.
  • distribution joe, distribution. its all about distributing those grinds nicely right around the perimeter of the basket
  • & the HG1 needs a good stir of the grinds with a mini whisk or similar before you empty them into the basket
  • Frans, Reiss,

Yes, I use the cocktail whisk religiously. However, I could start using the drops of water, but I just thought that was a way to reduce static and grounds sticking to the HG funnel.

It would be for the best to start the water drop method in the routine I suppose. I just try to resist adding more to the routine, but as always there is another detail that would inevitably help the result that I need to start doing.

Thanks!
  • I dont use a whiskey stir at all. Just two drops of water.
    Maybe there is a difference if you use the new wiper ?

Ralf,

Not sure it I really need a new wiper- My HG is only about 3 months old!

I'm also thinking my grind is fine enough as well- I'm getting a single shot from 17 grams, perhaps coarser?

I'm also adjusting to the new tamper- I've been spoiled with using a calibrated tamper before L1 came along.

I don't think I'm tamping too hard, but I'll just have to experiment and come as close to the post Reiss had on the blog awhile back.
  • Currently using a voodoo'd Pharos; I like it just fine and don't mind cranking for 2-3 doubles each day + a few more on occasion. I have a Mazzer Mini B, that I bought before Doug and Barb intro'd the Pharos. The MMB will be searching for a new home sometime soon as I have no need for it.

Maybe an HG-One down the trail...but for now I'm really fine with the Pharos.
  • I was going to buy the k10f but at 1/3 the price and zero retention i had to try the HG1, which i now use with my L1
    I have pimped with wood handles and stephens acrylic mod
    I use a couple of drops of water to grind, then a small whisk, then a bamboo skewer to distribute and prevent micro spurts
    Gorgeous pours everytime

Stale beans can give squirts too

• James,

I def don't do stale beans! I'll try the water drop method - :cheer:
  • I had one of the first batch of HG Ones, but it only lasted a week! Perhaps I did not give it a chance, but, my habit is up to 15 doubles a day, and to be quite blunt, no matter what the end result might have been, I could not be bothered! Thats not all my consumption of course but total for the house.
  • Nice topic Dave.

I am now firmly in the K10 camp having had the Fresh for about 18 months. It is a superb grinder, but I can only compare it to the previous grinders I've had - the Rocky, the M4 and the Pharos. The first two pale in comparison - small flats don't stand a chance so it is a bit unfair to compare. And the M4 remains a perfectly reasonable grinder.

The Pharos certainly gets there in terms of clarity versus the K10 but there is only so many times you can put up with the not insignificant faff of getting those bloody grinds out. And also dialling in is a chore too. I know however mods can be added to make the grinder more user friendly. But ultimately it is a hand grinder and it would be harsh to criticise its usability on this basis. I should have known what I was getting myself into.

My experience with Orphan kind of told me that a HG one wouldn't be for me (or any manual grinder for that matter). Grind quality is not in question and I admire the form and dedication of bringing it out to the marketplace directly. It's the manual hassle of grinding and distribution which I'd struggle with as I descend into middle-aged laziness and impatience.

The K10 makes it easy for me with a 3.5 sec whirrr into the PF. And it's over. Dosing is consistent and build quality and electronics are rock solid. Undoubtedly it is a big heavy bastard and there is a shots worth of retention. But I can live with that and over time you learn to dial in pretty quickly as you 'tune' into it.

A little thing I do now is to lay on top of the beans a little beanbag sack. This helps to keep weight on the beans thereby allowing a bit more of a consistent weight and dosage as the hopper empties. It also helps to the keep the air out a little.

And that is my grinder story.
  • ralf lahno post=436 wrote: I use a K30 and HG-one with my L1. The K30 is extremely comfortable, quite fast and not noisy. I use it for 90 %
    of my shots. The best grind I get is from my HG-one.
    I also had a pimped versalab and a big conical, Ceado E 92. The grind of the M3 was as good as from the HG, but i
    prefer handling of HG.
    The grind of the big conical was maybe a bit smoother than the K30, but overall I prefer the mahlkoenig.

Do u prefer grind by hand than doin it with the m3?? Why?
  • joe jeczen post=450 wrote: James,

:P sorry
  • James Springfield post=463 wrote: [quote=joe jeczen post=450]James,

:P sorry

No worries friend, some of us really could be !
  • I bought one of the first batch of the HG One grinders @83mm, I am very pleased with it... I contend that even if it takes 20 (or so) turns of the handle for about 20 seconds... The clean up time of anywhere between 1 second (dropping the lower funnel onto the blind tumbler) and 10 seconds (quick brush and spin of the empty machine) more than offsets those 20 seconds.

As for RDT (water droplets), I keep a little sprayer by the scales and a couple of pumps onto the beans (BYU*)...

For WDT (distribution), I use a really cheap mini whisk in the blind tumbler as it sits on top of the PF, and agitate around the central spindle a few times.

I don't know whether either of these steps are necessary with more conventional grinders, but I don't regard them as anything more than automatic and very brief steps in preparation.

I note from the HG One website that there are other versions of the burr set that I am using, and that they have dropped the 71mm option... As I understand things, there are other burr sets from manufacturers other than the Mazzer 83mm, that are considered by many to be superior (k10 set being one), it would be interesting to have some options like that in the future.

I am also interested to know whether Stephen Sweeney's "Acrylic Mods" have any effect on static and the need for RDT and or WDT?

NB: *BYU = "Robert is your mother's brother"... :)
  • I Have 2 K10 grinders (Pro Barista and Fresh) and they both great for different tasks.

The fresh once dialed in gives out precise dose shot after shot if you are loading at least a 100g of beans in the hopper and it's a great grinder for someone who doesn't need to replace coffees frequently.

The Pro Barista is by far my all time favorite grinder, it's a precised tool and terrific for single dosing.
    It's easy to replace coffees and change grind level even between drip coffee and espresso.

In the past I've owned many other grinders including a Mazzer mini E, Compak K3&K6, Rocky, Lelit etc. and nothing compares to the big conicals in terms of taste and consistency.

Kfir.
  • Stephen:

The acrylic funnel is slightly more prone to static than the OE Funnel but the RDT nullifies the static cling.

I use RDT from a very small salad oil spray bottle

I use WDT with a long needle (blunted to not damage Baskets).

Grinders all used primarily in a single dose mode in the order of preference:

HG-One, still cannot decide which burrs I like best since I own both sizes. Did not like the TiN burrs because so many turns to get the same amount of grounds, but the grinding was easier.

Versalab M3. Presently being Modded by Terranova.

Mazzer Kony-E with static grid removed and cone interior baffle removed. Single dosing with this beast works if you can blow a puff of air into the loading funnel to clear the grind chamber.

The Pharos, Voodoodaddy Modded. This would be the #1 grinder except the ergonomics. I use it for de-cafe in the evenings so it gets about the same amount of work as the HG-One. Great grinder and the clear choice for a portable grinder.

I have had several other grinders but these seem to be the ones that work best for my pattern of coffee usage.

Cheers!
    Stephen
  • So Stephen...

Just the four grinders then! :)
  • I didn't think that was excessive!!
  • Another HG-One user here. Pretty standard setup, I haven't had the grinder long enough to decide what/if any mods I want to add. It would be great if I could get handles that match the wenge hardwood handles on the Londinium.

I also have a Mazzer Mini E Type A that is virtually unused, it will be looking for a new home very soon.

Attached files

• Stephen Jenner post=491 wrote: So Stephen...

I actually own 3 more but they don't count. One antique wheel type and a Chinese modern replica of one that sort of works. I also have a small Turkish handmill and it works if you want to crank forever :pinch: My original Spong was better... Sadly sold the Spong years ago.

• I'm using a Brasilia RR55OD, which is a perfectly good grinder for the money I paid for it second hand. It's outclassed by the L1 but will do fine for now.
  • I use my Pharos grinder 99% of the time; once in a while I'll use the Mazzer.

Generally I don't have spritzing issues from the LI unless I'm over-zealous with nutating the puck.

Or, when using either too little grind volume in the portafilter basket, the edge of the tamper bottoms out on the top of the basket slope and prevents a solid edge to edge tamp, then I can get spritzing.

Or when I'm in a hurry and get sloppy with puck preparation and leave too many grounds on the vertical wall of the basket.

Another condition that can lead to some spritzing is over-filling the portafilter basket...grind finer and dose less.

HTH.

Dan
  • Stephen Sweeney post=499 wrote: [quote=Stephen Jenner post=491]So Stephen...

I actually own 3 more but they don't count. One antique wheel type and a Chinese modern replica of one that sort of works. I also have a small Turkish handmill and it works if you want to crank forever :pinch: My original Spong was better... Sadly sold the Spong years ago.

Is that a Huky 500 roaster in the background?
  • No, it is a Quest M3 without the protective screen around the drum. I figured there were so many hot spots to hurt yourself on the roaster why have a screen that prevents cleaning the exterior under it?

S.