This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

What about a Londinium grinder?

1235»

Comments

• Stephen, this Tikada CB-1 looks like a cross between a Versalab and an HG-One. Kit Form would be OK if the burrs were already aligned. If the burrs were NOT aligned then aligning would not be more difficult than how Versalab does it.

The first Gen HG-One's relied on close manufacturing tolerances for burr alignment, Second Gen has alignment provisions for the folks who doubted the validity of the First Gen concept.

My First Gen works just fine, but I have grown very tired of cranking... Sooooo, I am putting a motor on it.

I have come up with a logical plan of attack and once all the materials get here I am going to start the project. Adequate motor, turning at about 60rpm, completely enclosed and lower than a stock HG-One and there are only 4 holes to be drilled and tapped (or through bolted) in the HG-One Tower. Maybe a plate under the grinder base to lift it a little bit (1/4") but I might go larger just for added base weight and looks (polish it).

Stay tuned :-)
  • Yes, I would want the alignment handled by an expert. The rest is just assembly. Having said that, it's the mechanism that would be the most critical in my mind as that needs to be precise to minimize run out. Being they are German, I would tend to think they would have solved those issues.

The other issue is the appearance which kind of looks frankengrinderish with the ugly motor at the back.
  • Here is the ugly motor I am putting on the HG-One. I suppose a shroud could be made to hide it but since the grinder is not a real thing of beauty to begin with, but an industrial piece of gear then why not?

http://www.bisongear.com/products/right-angle-gearmotors/powerstar/inch/115-single-phase/026-725a0030.html
  • Paul Marshall post=5779 wrote: Yes, I would want the alignment handled by an expert. The rest is just assembly. Having said that, it's the mechanism that would be the most critical in my mind as that needs to be precise to minimize run out. Being they are German, I would tend to think they would have solved those issues.

The other issue is the appearance which kind of looks frankengrinderish with the ugly motor at the back.

Being German and getting things into and out of that country maybe the Customs folks do not look at Kits as closely as a finished product?
  • Stephen Sweeney post=5780 wrote: Here is the ugly motor I am putting on the HG-One. I suppose a shroud could be made to hide it but since the grinder is not a real thing of beauty to begin with, but an industrial piece of gear then why not?

http://www.bisongear.com/products/right-angle-gearmotors/powerstar/inch/115-single-phase/026-725a0030.html

That's not too bad. I can't wait to see what it looks like and how it works.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=5781 wrote: [quote=Paul Marshall post=5779]Yes, I would want the alignment handled by an expert. The rest is just assembly. Having said that, it's the mechanism that would be the most critical in my mind as that needs to be precise to minimize run out. Being they are German, I would tend to think they would have solved those issues.

Being German and getting things into and out of that country maybe the Customs folks do not look at Kits as closely as a finished product?

Yes, I'm sure that will make it a lot easier to ship because it's just grinder parts.
  • A spacer is required to set the bolt face off the grinder tower, maybe an inch? I won't know exactly until I get it in my hot little hands. The then accessory shaft needs machining to turn it to slide over the HG-One grinder shaft so the entire assembly can bolt to the grinder.

I plan on making a lever to loosen/tighten the grind adjustment set screw/thumb screw that will fit between the motor and the grinder tower. Maybe the OEM screw might work but it is just another small detail to be worked out; the lever idea will work fine but if not necessary then stick with OEM.
  • I was just translating some of the comments on the kaffee-netz forum regarding the CB1 and it sounds like the increased price is the main reason for the lack of sales. Two years ago, it was thought to be a €800 grinder so the actual price has gone up a lot and most seem to feel it's too high for a kit. Incidentally, the kit doesn't include the electrical connection which they recommend an electrician complete.

Having said that, I've looked at more pictures and it's not as ugly as I originally thought; in fact, I think it might look better beside an LI than a motorized HG-One but that is entirely subjective. From a pricing perspective, I think the $1,865 USD price (+ shipping) is competitive with the cost of a motorized HG-One. I'd love to know how the runout compares to the HG-One. Is the mechanism more precise?