This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

What about a Londinium grinder?

Comments

• You must have sold your EK43? The EK has the burrs aligned vertically doesn't it, and the Compak are horizontally aligned? The grounds more or less fall out of the EK where they have to be thrown out horizontally from the Compak if I understand it correctly.

So how does Bunn do it?
  • One hopes they are aligned ;)

But yes, the EK43 burrs are mounted vertically and the R120 horizontally

But the R120 has significantly lower retention than the EK43

If you have a look at the burr change video on the Compak site that I directed you to, you will be able to see how this is achieved

I know nothing about Bunn, so I can't help on that score, but others here undoubtedly will

Best

Reiss
  • Reiss, I looked at that Compak video when you Posted it originally and still wonder how they get so little retention. Yes, changing the burrs is easy.

Is that a flat disc with ridges in it to throw the grounds free of the grinding chamber?
  • The key thing is the they have brought the near vertical exit chute into the bottom of the burr chamber, so the coffee drops straight down the chute
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4381 wrote: Would any of the Forum members have a photo of the burrs in the EK43 so it could be compared to the same diameter burrs of the Compak?

Dave will be able to take some pics of the burrs for comparison for you ( EK>r120)
    Ive sent you some ek pics via email ..
  • Right lets try again as first two post of this went somewhere else
    Pics and clips from a grinder event in the Uk
    Dave Hyde gave up his time , knowledge , expertise and equipment to make this happen
    Full line up EK43, R120, Versalab, Major , HG1 , Robur
    A good day had by all. Two l1s there also .....
    This wasn't out as a battle to crown a winner but to give people the chance to use all this great gear in one place at one time ....
    Without people like Dave thees things wouldn't happen......
    101574357[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]101574357

Im stuggling to get photos up on here either thro photbucket etc if anyone wanna helps
  • may i suggest you reduce the size martin of the images martin to about 1000 x 1000 pixels and a 'medium' quality if using jpeg?

thank you for taking the time to post

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks Martin for posting this video! Great images. I like the music too but if possible I'd like to hear what the guys in the video are saying about the coffee ;-)
  • I will try to Post the photos you sent to me Martin.

• I am not sure why I started a new grinder thread, I have just spent an hour or so looking at the preceding threads on this subject.

Anyway, forgive me, if this is already published, but how are owners using their EK43/R120 et al (retail grinders)?

Is it single dosing, or is the bean weight in the hopper important?

We know that retention is low, but are owners grinding straight into the PF, the basket, or some other intermediate container like a jug?

I know that I said that I was not looking at the retail models, but the more I look at last years models (the big conicals), the more I sense that I would get extremely pi**ed off with the retention.

So I am thinking R100 at the moment...

This will probably change tomorrow... :blush:
  • plenty of others own EK43s & L1s Stephen and can speak ably for it I'm sure

i think the EK43 is an exceptionally good grinder (with the coffee burr set (cf the turkish burr set)), its pretty much beyond dispute i think
    having said that the EK43 has a unique taste - very sweet and very thin (i.e. you lose quite a lot of body) - but that shouldn't be read as dismissive, it simply just 'is' - you will either like that, or you won't. personally i love the sweetness, but always slightly disappointed by the lack of body

in addition the EK43 makes a high pitched screech like a wood chipper when the beans go through and has no active cooling system. The first issue may matter for domestic use, but the second issue does not. Conversely the first issue is irrelevant in a retail environment (background noise anyway), but the second issue is relevant

the R120 i am hesitant to comment on in prosaic terms as i obviously have a vested interest in that we offer them for sale, and so it opens me up for ridicule fairly quickly

all i can say is i have only put an estimated 1 or 2 kilos through, but i am very happy with it
    why? i think it offers exceptional clarity, giving first class inspection of the tastes locked in the roast, it isn't sweet to the extent that the EK43 is, but the body is not compromised, so you have to choose what you want

in my opinion the design of the R120 is far superior with its active cooling system (twin fans & air ways through the chassis to carry the air through the body), and a mechanised sweeper wire inside the exit chute which keeps retention at around 0.2 gram, which seems scarcely believable as i write it, but that is my experience

the R100 does not have the sweeper wire and not having tried it i am unable to comment on how much its absence would increase the retention, but i can't see why you could not bend up a piece of stainless wire yourself (taking care to file the end very smooth so you do not scratch the inside of the exit chute) and do it manually (only when the grinder was off obviously, and having waited for the burrs to stop turning, which takes some time)

i am single dosing with the R120 - it is forced upon you as there is no timer and even if there was it would not work as one revolution probably grinds such a large amount of coffee that it would be impossibly hard on the motor to turn it on and off for such a short period of time

you can grind directly to PF, but clipping a metal tumbler onto the bag clip as you do for the EK43 works infinitely better, albeit slightly slower

oh, and did i mention? ... the motor on the R120 has the silky smoothness of a turbine :)

oh, and i almost forgot about the bag shaker on the R120 - i certainly have a use for it, but i can appreciate that almost all home users would want to disconnect it, and then it becomes whisper quiet!
  • Curious: What the heck is going on in Martin's "Titan Grinder Jam CFUK" video at 3:43...mad pumping about on the LI? "CFUK"...provocative abbreviation :D
  • Which video?
  • Frans Goddijn post=4567 wrote: Which video?

Sorry...I edited my post...thank you!
  • Dan Streight post=4566 wrote: Curious: What the heck is going on in Martin's "Titan Grinder Jam CFUK" video at 3:43...mad pumping about on the LI? "CFUK"...provocative abbreviation :D

The "Fellini move". Done to achieve the longest shot possible with a lever. (50g with the L1)
  • It seems to me that all that pumping, even if it does add liquid, will get more grounds into the seals and shower screen. Not good for the machine.

Might be good exercise for arm wrestling :-)
  • Yup. I fear some coffee grounds can bypass the seals and get into the boiler... Then you'd have a problem. Unless Reiss says is not possible...
  • I've seen coffee grind residue in the boiler of my (former) little old Ponte Vecchio lever machine when I bought it, but if the shower screen is okay and the seals are not rotten, it does not happen.

So with the much more advanced shower screen on the L1 and the three large seals, I expect it will never happen unless someone severely neglects and maltreats the machine, and then any result will be awful anyway so no extra harm done.

I will try to make a video of the Fellini with transparent portafilter basket.

When I clean the shower screen and the piston, there can be black stuff on top of the screen, or on the brass bottom of the piston, but the sticky goo in between the seals is obviously more of a mix of grease and condensed water.
  • My understanding is Dave was demonstrating that you can pull a shot of greater volume, say 60mL, on the L1 if you want to
  • I am rendering & uploading a video of the transparent portafilter basket on the L1 and during the session I also did a few "Fellini moves". Nothing spectacular happens with the puck which just expands and rises some and then compacts again. It did show me that two times I had not fastened the portafilter handle well enough. The first time a droplet spat out from between the portafilter and the group shower screen gasket, the second time a very brief but heavy rain fell over the outside of the basket.

So with the Fellini move, some extra water and some extra pressure is stacked on.

Will post the link / video later, either within a few hours or on my waking up.
  • Will post this also in the thread about it, but here because we mentioned the Fellini move.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]r0JLdSJVT7I
  • We were alerted to this grinder today on CFUK: http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?18197-German-grinder-project

It looks like this...

...When it is assembled!

It uses Mazzer Kony burrs.

• Nice! Sort of an enclosed Versalab! Any other info in English? Is it going to be a production machine or just a great one off hobby machine?
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4611 wrote: Nice! Sort of an enclosed Versalab! Any other info in English? Is it going to be a production machine or just a great one off hobby machine?
    It comes as a kit Stephen... The matt finish is €1200 and the high polish version is €1400, so similar to Versalab in price too!

If it works, it seems to address most of the problems of most grinders in the home use context...

If it works!!!???
  • great! there's that name again (that kfir posted) - Tidaka! their other stuff all looks very well made so it imbues prospective customers with confidence for a more complex product like this grinder.
  • Yeah the shiny cube that the PF is sitting in, is Tidaka's "Tampercube"? I think it's called.

Kony burrs are good and what's more cheap(ish) aren't they?
  • Stephen Jenner post=4612 wrote: [quote=Stephen Sweeney post=4611]Nice! Sort of an enclosed Versalab! Any other info in English? Is it going to be a production machine or just a great one off hobby machine?
    It comes as a kit Stephen... The matt finish is €1200 and the high polish version is €1400, so similar to Versalab in price too!

If it works, it seems to address most of the problems of most grinders in the home use context...

If it works!!!???

Thank you Stephen! Time will tell if it is a winner or not, but I certainly like the conical burrs. I have that Kony and am happy with the grind, just not so happy with the retention.

Cheers!
    Stephen
  • Judging from his facebook image, mr Hsiao in Taiwan is working on a similar machine:

• Has anyone seen any more info on Elvis Hsiao's grinder? I haven't been able to find any.

The Tikada CB-1 is an interesting project but it's not exactly flying off the shelf being sold as a kit. It looks like only 9 of the 30 have been sold so far. Does anyone know how they address the need for precise alignment when it is shipped as a kit?
  • Oh yes... I very nearly ordered one but the fear factor was caused by bearing alignment being a spirit level operation...

Earlier, we were looking at some vids of the ZR-71... From my memory with that project, the first two years were all about getting the bearing to run true so that the burrs maintain the set gap.

Coupling those two pieces of information with my general mechanical incompetence, I realised that the CB-1 was a recipe for an expensive disaster in my hands.