This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L-R has arrived

Comments

• Congratulations Frans!

I'm expecting mine next week, really excited.

Enjoy.

Kfir.
  • http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2017/01/londinium-r-first-impressions-tips.html

First impressions:

At the 2 bar pre-infusion that the machine arrived with, the behaviour and taste were like the very best shots I recall from my time with the 'old' L1 Luxe and at 3 bar pre-infusion it was just as full bodied as the shots I am used to getting from my L1-P (which is named the L1 nowadays).

Also, the pump works fast indeed and it's more quiet in sound than I expected. It moves a lot of water in a short time so I expected a sharp but brief whine and in real life it's much less intrusive and over before you know it.

Tips:

If you get the machine, reserve at least 2-3 hours to get everything neatly unpacked and sorted without interruptions by others.

Warm up the panels that you want to peel the white protective plastic off. Observe that to get the side panels off, you first need to get the top panel off.

When putting the top panel back on, first keep the water tank out and before applying force, make sure you understand where every part of the top panel goes (over the front of the machine, the little 'hands' over the rim of the black tank holder, nicely balanced in the middle of it).

If you plan on changing the pre-infusion pressure using the Ceme pressostat, carefully take off the little center cap (see pictures way below). It is sealed so you take care to break that seal with delicate force, do not use heavy tools.

Changing the pre-infusion pressure, you can responsibly use a portafilter-gauge if you have one, but you do not need one. Keep in mind that counter clockwise turning you raise the pressure, clockwise you lower it. One full 360º turn is a little more than 1 bar difference. Try a half turn, see how the extraction goes, understand what you have done and take it from there.

I pulled some first shots and Jan van der Weel who came by to see the newcomer also pulled some espressos.

Videos will be in the next blog but below are some of the very first pictures

• Thankyou Frans - Great pictures. Looking forward to the videos
  • Looks like Christmas all over again! Great photos and I'm jealous!
  • Frans, thank you very much for taking the time to post the pictures and the video. Very much looking forward to receving my machine next week. Looks like it's well worth the wait!
  • You're welcome Alex!
  • Great video Frans, it feels like being there with you installing the machine...

Kfir.
  • It's time to update your inventory list Frans:
    "L1-P, Compak R120 & E8, La Pavoni, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales"

:)

Thanks for the pictures & video; looks really good in POV!

--
    Ernst
  • Yes, great video!
  • Kfir post=12700 wrote: Great video Frans, it feels like being there with you installing the machine...

Thank you Kfir! Good to hear from you.
  • Beautiful machine. Though, I can't begin to say how depressed this makes me. I saved for years to purchase the L1, and just purchased this last July. IF I would have knows this was in the works... I would NOT have purchased.
  • A few things:
    There were hints that the L-R (L1-S, enhancement kit) has been in development for a long time if you follow Reiss' blog and the forums. Lots of failed iterations, but obviously always still on his mind.

You still own an excellent machine (with a great resale value). You could always sell it and buy an L-R and you wouldn't take that huge of a hit.

If you live you're life waiting for the next great thing you'll always be waiting. You've had a lot of excellent coffees off of that machine I'm sure!
  • Alex Chanin post=12698 wrote: (...)Looks like it's well worth the wait!

Yes it was! By the way, a lovely ferret in your picture. I had two ferrets years ago and they're the best.
  • Thanks! His name was Fausto, he was the best :)

Once my son is older, I hope to get another one or two!
  • I 100% agree... but just makes me itch wanting to upgrade. But knowing my wife would KILL me.
  • Well they're basically identical, play you're cards right and she might not even notice....

note: I'm not liable if she divorces you!
  • Between bicycles and the espresso machine... I better not press my luck on any "mysterious" packages showing up.

;-)
  • I'd say an obsession with bicycles and espresso only seems disproportionally expensive but in the long run it's way way cheaper than an awakening interest in an alternative partner ;-) Keep the guys' attention focused on their bike & barista-things is my advice to the spouses.
  • Although there was some resistance at first, my wife finally understands that espresso is my hobby and a far less expensive one than golf or motorcycles! Plus it is one that many others have enjoyed along with me over the past five years. In fact, my wife started drinking coffee about a year after I got my first espresso machine and now has an americano every morning. The only negative for our guests is that after they know what coffee can taste like, they simply can't find coffee as good anywhere else.

Having said that, the LR plus a Monolith (both on order) should be my last upgrade!
  • Roger Healy post=12736 wrote: Having said that, the LR plus a Monolith (both on order) should be my last upgrade!

How many times I've heard that before... Well, I guess, the only important thing is that your wife believes it :).
  • Hi Alex, I recognize that picture from HB. It's great to see that you ordered the new L-R. You were helpful when I was trying to figure out what my first machine purchase would be and I want to thank you. I was strongly considering the Profitec Pro 300 and the Breville Dual Boiler but ended up going with the L1. You'll find the participating members here to be very helpful. Cheers, pal.
  • You're very welcome, still very fond of the Pro 300 (wish someone would buy it off me though, it's been for sale for a month). I've been enamored with the L1 for a while - done plenty of lurking on these forums. The community here definitely contributed toward my decision to pull the trigger. Cheers.