This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New seals have arrived

1235»

Comments

• Curtis Smith post=12322 wrote: Over 15 second pre-infusion? I will try.

> if less than 15s

in other words, i dont know what pre-infusion time you are running, but if it is less than 15 seconds, then you can increase it

so, if you are using 5 seconds PI you might try 10 seconds

if you are using 10 seconds PI you might try 15 seconds

i.e. dont exceed 15 seconds PI

if you are already using 15 seconds PI (which i think is the max as the coffee starts to stew beyond that in my view) then try my second suggestion
  • 15 seconds max seems long, so I will definitely not exceed.
  • Reiss Gunson post=12321 wrote: [quote=Dan Tochterman post=12319]so i've lowered my dose to a tad over 17g in a 18g VST basket and i've noticed much more consistent shots - much less channeling, better lever grabs. what is everybody else dosing, out of curiousity?

those symptoms suggest the puck has not been saturated during pre-infusion

Hey Reiss,

12s pre-infusion on most shots, even when loading 18g in. to clarify, shots were great with 18g, i've just noticed more consistent with 17.2ish grams as a baseline.

Marc - i never thought to try an IMS filter basket. I'm also getting some messy pucks with the VST....ordering an IMS basket now and will let you know!
  • VST baskets are notoriously finicky. They are prone to spritzing and channeling if preparation is not perfect. Despite this, I continue to use one (15g) because I can taste a distinct difference in the cup. The VST brings out the high notes in the dark roasts I prefer, and even some of the most basic blends sing with cherries and stone fruit over chocolate undertones. As for light roasts, I've never done a side-by-side comparison of the VST/IMS/OEM basket.
  • Salvatore Taibi post=12326 wrote: VST baskets are notoriously finicky. They are prone to spritzing and channeling if preparation is not perfect. Despite this, I continue to use one (15g) because I can taste a distinct difference in the cup. The VST brings out the high notes in the dark roasts I prefer, and even some of the most basic blends sing with cherries and stone fruit over chocolate undertones. As for light roasts, I've never done a side-by-side comparison of the VST/IMS/OEM basket.

I agree with the VST being finicky. I do have a ridgeless vst 15, I'm curious of how many grams are you dosing your vst?

All I use these days are medium to medium-dark roast, and I get my most consistent shots with the IMS basket dosed around 18g to 18.5g. Even if the shot doesn't look great and there is some channeling, the taste is still good.

I get picture perfect pours with the stock basket, but the taste is not as consistent as the IMS.
  • Salvatore Taibi post=12326 wrote: VST baskets are notoriously finicky. They are prone to spritzing and channeling if preparation is not perfect. Despite this, I continue to use one (15g) because I can taste a distinct difference in the cup. The VST brings out the high notes in the dark roasts I prefer, and even some of the most basic blends sing with cherries and stone fruit over chocolate undertones. As for light roasts, I've never done a side-by-side comparison of the VST/IMS/OEM basket.

I agree with the VST being finicky. I do have a ridgeless vst 15, I'm curious of how many grams are you dosing your vst?

All I use these days are medium to medium-dark roast, and I get my most consistent shots with the IMS basket dosed around 18g to 18.5g. Even if the shot doesn't look great and there is some channeling, the taste is still good.

I get picture perfect pours with the stock basket, but the taste is not as consistent as the IMS.
  • well, i just ordered one of these, will let you know how it goes!

http://www.imsfiltri.com/filtri/b70-2tc-h26-e/?lang=en
  • Link seems not to work, see if this works:

http://tinyurl.com/imsfilteri

Attached files

• I have almost exactly that basket and a bunch of others but once I got my routine okay for the VST baskets I very rarely used others.

• yup, thats the one!

thanks for fixing the link!
  • I’m using an 18g VST ridged basket with an IMS 35 screen and don’t have any problems.

Generally 17 gm with about 10 sec PI on a light roast. No spritzing or channelling.

I’m using the original HG-1 grinder, grinding into the blind tumbler, giving a good stir with a blunt bamboo skewer, pulling the plug, and again giving a good stir to distribute the grinds under the lip. A bit of a shake to level everything followed by a thump on the bench to clear the tumbler.

With a nutating light tamp it works every time.

The new seals (Actually seal as I had a pile of the old ones which are fine in the upper positions) give a very smooth positive action not that I had any real issues with the old seals. The new ones are just better.

I tried the 18g ridgless VST basket but never mastered the correct technique. I much prefer the ridged baskets and don’t notice any other differences.
  • Are these newer type group seals available anywhere else as if I place an order for the seals on the Londinium site I get charged $32 shipping to Australia which is outrageous when the seals would fit in a standard size envelope.
  • These new seals are great! $32 for shipping is expensive....maybe order 2 sets. There are seals available from Cafelat that are silicone. Supposedly they work well. I bought a couple sets but have not used them yet. Don't remember what the shipping was. They did take a long time to arrive.
    Rob
  • hi rob

i know, they are expensive because we had to machine this first run

in the future we will get them moulded and i will be able to reduce the price

before everyone asks getting them moulded is not an imminent event so you can order the high performance piston seals without fear that i am about to drop the price next month

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks Rob appreciated
  • the cafelat seals are the same height as the seal originally supplied by the manufacturer of the group, 7mm

our high performance seals are the same height as the seal groove, which is greater than 7mm

if you believe that a seal that is narrower than the seal groove will provide optimal performance, please order those instead of ours
  • Hi Reiss

I have been reading this post and I think an upgrade to the new group seals would help to solve problems I have with high lever grab, a damp / wet puck and lowish volume. I bought my L1 in Nov 2015 and at the time of ordering I ordered the full service kit. Can you tell me if the 3 piston seals contained in the kit are the new custom ones or were they released after Nov 2015? The full service kit refers to the piston seals as 'V-seals' but the custom seals are 'L-seals'. Looking at my seals I can't tell which ones are which; to me the seals I have look the same as the custom seals Frans posted pictures of. I have attached a picture of one of the seals I have if it helps.

One more question Reiss if i may, will the custom seals solve a problem I have with dripping during the pre-infusion phase? I have had this problem for quite a while and no amount of varying the grind, distributing the grounds in the basket seems or tamping differently makes any difference. I have a HG-one grinder and distribute the grounds in the blind tumbler using a cocktail whisk.

Kind regards,
    Bruce
  • hi bruce

they should be the custom seals by that date

if you examine the seal from the side you will be able to see that our custom seals are approximately 1mm thicker at the hub than they are at the outer edge of the seal:

Attached files

• as to your second question bruce, we now offer this;

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/product/212-londinium-espresso-distribution-funnel

and this;

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/product/211-londinium-espresso-distribution-tool

which i think will resolve the issue for you - the seals are in no way responsible for that behaviour
  • Bruce,
    If you have the custom seals they should work fine. I went through this with Reiss and his advise worked. Tamp very lightly, and grind fine enough so that you get adequate pre-infusion. BTW, I tried Cafelat seals I mentioned earlier in this thread and they did not work.
    Rob