This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New seals have arrived

Comments

• hi freddie

thank you for taking the time to post

kind regards

reiss.
  • good morning robert

thank you for going to the extra effort of taking and posting a video, it is much appreciated

kind regards

reiss.
  • I should have said that was with a 10s pre-infusion too.
  • all

I've changed the seals in 4 machines in 2 days now and the novelty of the hex key method of fitment that i use in the video in the permanent file is wearing off

i haven't tried it yet, but i think it would be well worth obtaining a short length of PVC (or similar) rigid pipe that was just big enough to fit over the piston

if you wanted a thinner wall solution you could use a length of metal pipe i suppose, e.g. a thin section of copper pipe, but you would need to take care with a file to ensure you removed all the burrs completely or you would run the risk of damaging the seals

heat the seals in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes so they are supple

then you would put some grease on the inner surface of the seals so they popped onto the pipe without grabbing

only push the seals onto the pipe just far enough that all 3 seals fit onto the pipe

also load the seals onto the pipe facing the right way so you can drop them straight onto the seal groove in the brass piston

then slide the pipe over the brass piston and start at the top seal and push them off the pipe straight into the seal groove

top, middle, then bottom seal

easy!

reiss.
  • I have a device like that, custom made a few years back. Works very well indeed. It's actually an idea first used for seal replacement on the Cremina machine, just bigger.

Attached files

• hi frans

yes, that's right. it also had a tapered nose so it was easy to mount the seals. if you were making a custom tool you would use aluminium bar, put a tapered nose on it to slide the seals on and then you would bore out the other end of the bar so you could slide it over the piston as the piston on our machine has 3 seals and a ptfe seal groove so there are a lot more obstacles to navigate, whereas on the cremina you can drop a seal on to each side of the piston

but such things are relatively expensive to make given they are only being used to solve a small, infrequent problem. the pvc pipe idea isn't as sophisticated for sure, but most customers should be able to find themselves a short length of pvc in the right diameter i think. if would have been immensely helpful for the customer i helped this morning via Skype in the States i think, but i didnt think of it until after the call ended.

• ah yes, now that is perfect frans!
  • @Reiss +1 to the hex keys not being much fun!

if you were to make something like what Frans is using, i would def purchase it!

also, i had no idea about the ims 35 shower screen until reading this thread, just ordered one and looking forward to receiving it
  • that's kind of my point - you should be able to obtain some pvc pipe for free or nominal cost wherever you live - i think you will only need 6"/150mm
  • yes, but to a "tool a phobe" like myself, that sounds daunting! although, i admit, the L1 has given me much more confidence playing with equipment these days.

on a separate note, @Reiss, how are you measuring the 45 degrees? from what point to what point? is the yellow curve in the image below or the light blue?

Attached files

• hi dan

at least 45 degrees below vertical

kind regards

reiss.
  • Definitely had a good time figuring out the best way to fit those seals into their respective slots with the hex keys.

It was tough in the beginning as the first seal won't budge but after various attempts, finally went to its slot. 2nd seal was another attempt as it was facing the other way round. easiest was definitely the last seal in.

Yes it would have been nice to have a specific tool for fitting these seals and I would gladly have bought something similar to fran's tool but a little bit of greasework once in a while, i ain't complaining :) makes me proud to be able to service my own machine.

and if in doubt, I have all of you here to help me out!
  • My old seals were shot which just happened to coincide with the release of these improved seals. Im surprised just how much an improvement these have made to the L1. The addition of these seals has noticeably improved the consistency of the shots which as really allowed me to fine tune my pulls to a frequency I was struggling to reach before. What was once representative of a so called '$deity shot' is now just a regular coffee. Personally I applaud Reiss for taking the time to understand the limitations of his machine and bother to go to the effort of sourcing these improved seals. Well worth the few quid and knuckle skin it cost me to fit them!
  • Ian

Heh, yes to knuckle skins! I know that feeling.
  • sourcing ian, really? we had them machined as a custom size!:P

thanks for reporting in anyway, much appreciated

kind regards

reiss.
  • Anyone in the US have to pay customs on the seals...just wondering since I would have to pay the customs prior to delivery.
    Rob
  • I just got mine in US-Florida. No custom payment requirement
  • Hawaii... no customs.

Frankly, it's always a roll of the dice. I order numerous items from overseas (well, I guess technically everything I order is from overseas!), and it's usually dependent on value. Less than a few hundred dollars and you are usually ok, but one can never be sure. As far as I know, it falls upon the carrier to determine and decide if they want to collect.
  • Delivered today, no customs. Unfortunately I'm out of town, so can't install for a few days. Can't wait!
    Rob
  • ok, thanks for the update, reiss.
  • I received a set of the new seals yesterday, thanks Reiss for the quick service and shipping. Two days from UK to Chicago, wow, faster than I get stuff from within the states.

I installed them on the L1 today and these guys are the ticket. The new seals are a little more rigid and getting them on without a tool like Frans' was a chore, but oh it was worth it! Nice smooth lever catch around 45 degrees or even a little lower. The catch with the new seals is very solid, the old seals with PTFE fix had a little squish in the catch, but not these seals they just lock in.

The shots I pulled with the new seals are probably the best yet on my L1. I pulled two shots from the same beans I used yesterday, 17g in IMS B68 26.5 basket, 3sec PI, 29g out in 25sec. Not sure how just seals can do it, but I got improved crema, the body and mouthfeel was more dense, and flavor more balanced. The L1 was good before, but this was some next level stuff. :woohoo:

Thanks Reiss for your incredible support of the machines and developing these seals.

Nate
  • hi nate

super, thank you for taking the time to post

kind regards

reiss.
  • Almost two years ago I purchased an L1 to use in my small coffee shop here in Japan. Throughout that time it has worked perfectly and never given us any trouble at all. I am certainly a very happy camper!

I just replaced the piston seals and while I was at it I replaced the shower screen (had some small damage from an early attempt to remove it) and the group head gasket. Now, it seems, we are back to a like-new condition.

I am ready to order a new set of seals and want to make sure that if I simply go to the web site and order the, "LONDINIUM custom group seal kit" that I will be receiving the new seals. That is the case, right?

Thanks you!
  • Yes, that's correct David

We only offer our high performance piston seals now

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Thank you Reiss.
  • Installed the new seals yesterday....wow, getting great espresso again!
    Rob
  • ah, good rob, thanks for posting. reiss.
  • Reiss,

Ordered a new set as well. I am going to try to use a PVC pipe as the hex key method was a little awkward when I replaced my other set earlier this year.

Do you still suggest using loxeal grease on inside of the bore like before?

-Michael
  • https://londiniumespresso.com/forum?view=topic&catid=27&id=743

hi michael

you will see i have recently updated the above link to account for the arrival of the high performance piston seals

(you will need to be logged in to access the link as it is in the permanent file)

kind regards

reiss.
  • Mine arrived and I fitted them the same day. I was really surprised that the 4 year old ones were still flexy! I'm getting a nice smooth lever action with the new ones and the lever is catching closer to 45 degrees so very happy.