This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New seals have arrived

Below are comparisons of the old and new seals, and the old seals on the piston and the new seals on it.

From the pix it's clear which is which of course.

Attached files

image image image

Comments

• Attached files

image image image

Attached files

• hello frans

its good to know you received the seals in amsterdam the day after i sent them

thank you for taking the time to take pictures & post about it

the differences are small, but large B)

kind regards

reiss.
  • Just got mine today as well! This is the first time that I can remember seeing individual droplets when flushing the group.

click here to see the video of it in action:

• super dan, thank you for making the effort to post, much appreciated

is that the standard shower screen you are using or the IMS 35µM? (or something else?)

what angle is the lever grabbing at now, as i know you have had lever skip/high grab issues from day one with your machine and have patiently waited for these seals to materialise

kind regards

reiss
  • dan has sent me a video of his new seals in action. he has given me permission to publish it here. i am pumping it to vimeo now. it will be here in a moment. it provides a graphic illustration of our custom piston seals completely eliminating high lever grab on a machine that has suffered with this issue from day one.
  • [video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]186634016
  • note that dan has run a long 15 second pre-infusion on this shot

i am confident that a shorter pre infusion would yield similar results, but other customers can probably attest to this in the near future anyway
  • Even if you don't have an issue with high lever grab, are these seals still the best way to go?

I'd been meaning to replace mine as the machine comes up to 4 years old.

I assume the correct ones are the 3 group seals + 1 PF group seal in the store?
  • hi aaron

well, put it this way, these are the only ones i am offering now; the 'originals' have been the absolute bane of my life for the last 4 years

for example, machines that have never had the issue have suddenly developed it when the seals have been replaced after 2+ years!

you can order the 3+1 kit you refer to, or you can purchase them individually

kind regards

reiss.
  • Excellent, many thanks Reiss!
  • Reiss,

You previously mentioned if we bought a certain value the seals were free?
  • yes. that offer still stands (till 31/12/16)
  • Three photos of resulting shots:

1) at 3 bar, nearly 60g shot volume/weight out
    2) at 1.2 bar (L1-like), a 26g shot
    3) at 1.3 bar (L1-like), long pre-infusion

• Awesome. What was the value required? (I can't find the post!)
  • GBP50 excluding delivery
  • Reiss,
    Just wanted to ask if the new seals are included in the full service kit?
  • Reiss, Does that mean if I order a double-spout portafilter (£55), you'll throw in a free set of the new seals?
    Matt
  • hi jonathan

i will make it my business to ensure that happens, yes

i dont want to send out one more original seal - they're a byword for misery

best

reiss.
  • hello matthew

yes, until 31 dec 16, that's correct.

reiss.
  • Great, I'll place my order next week when I'm back in England. I don't want it to arrive while I'm abroad -- in Italy, where btw the espresso is very variable.
    Matt
  • Hi Reiss,
    Can you clarify if the offer (>50GBP) to get the seals for free, includes any items on the web store (e.g. combination of parts, and londinium roasted coffee)
  • yes, absolutely anything. remember it is GBP50 excl shipping charges

remember that i roast coffee in new zealand

kind regards

reiss.
  • Received the new seals yesterday via dhl along with some other spare parts, just a day after shipping.
    (Thank you for the extra set). Good timing as I was overdue a good cleaning, seal change and maintenance job inside the group. These new ones are stiffer and a tighter/better fit than the old ones as far as I can tell, been a while since last change.
    Guessing not only dimensions but also the material is different?
    I put them in hot water before slipping them on and was less worried about damage while doing so than with the old ones, they're just more 'solid' and seem much less likely to tear. Great improvement.
  • My order is in. Can't wait to try my new seals and londinium tamper.
  • When I received my new Londinium L1 a little over a month ago, I was having trouble with the lever not catching near 45 degrees. That issue had resulted in very short timed shots (roughly 15 seconds) as well as soupy pucks. I tried a second set of seals with no change in results. Then I emailed Reiss who suggested his ptfe temporary fix. I had been using the old seals and wrapping the ptfe tape with 5 turns around the bottom seal as Reiss had suggested. The shots were so much better, with the lever catching much sooner, but the shots still were not near as good as what I was getting from Cremina and the pucks still were wet (not quite soupy).

Last week the new improved seals arrived. I installed them with a very small amount of Loxeal. I also changed out my shower screen to the IMS 35µM shower screen. They were somewhat more difficult to install, but not really a problem. After reinstalling the group and heating up the boiler, I pulled my first shot with the new seals. Suddenly, I understood what everyone else was saying about the Londinium shots. Night and day difference. Lever caught at 45 degrees, full shot in 27 seconds with beautiful pour. Sweet and delicious.

I recommend the new seals to anyone using the old ones. They are simply great.

Thank you to Reiss for hanging in there with me and getting me over the hump.

Budd Glassberg
  • hi budd

thank you for taking the time to report, it is appreciated

kind regards

reiss.
  • thank you for writing Remi

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hey everyone

Just to give a quick update: I had somewhat similar results to Budd whereby the 1st month some of my pucks were slightly wet also and lever catching higher then 45 degrees in almost all circumstances. First few pulls were slightly after 45 degrees tho.

I did the same swapover as Budd: swapover new seals and changed screen to IMS35µM. Pulled up the first shots with some older beans (over a month and a half) just as a test run but forgot to redial in the grinder so obviously it came out fast and puck was wet.

Redialed grinder and pulled another shot. My my .. prior to the swapover, the L1 could still salvage the old beans I had but after the custom seals went in, it rescued it even further! As a bonus, dry puck. Not bad not bad indeed! Flavor of beans are still there.

I'm gonna have to go get me some fresh beans in the next few days and have another go!

Thank you Reiss, thank you!
  • I fitted my new seals yesterday. I didn't have a problem before, as my existing seals were in good condition and regularly greased but there is a slight improvement nevertheless. The lever engages at 45 degrees as it should and the mechanism is lovely and smooth.