This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Conical v Flat Burr

2»

Comments

• Stephen,
    That is one beautiful machine! Looking forward to a video.
  • OK, video added but the grind needs to be a bit tighter. Decaf and relearning the grinder again in that video :-)
  • Yes, the reduced noise is a blessing for sure. Not as quiet as the HG-1, but much closer :-)

I find the Kony's fan makes more noise than the grinding of the beans in the Kony. The Kony grinding is pretty darn quiet so I am considering putting a switch on the fan because I never will get the machine hot like in a commercial environment.
  • Hi Stephen

I've been eyeing at the terranova mod on my M3 for a couple months. Now it has been a few days you've had it with you, would you say the new M3 is the one grinder to rule them all? How does it compare with your legendary array of grinders?

Do you mind I ask how many $ you had to part with in order to get this mod?
  • The grinder was badly beat up in shipping (at least the box was) and the sides were crushed and the box had sat out in the rain and was soggy, but the grinder worked.

I had some difficulty getting the grind fine enough before burr contact so when I dropped the lower cone to look at the burrs and how evenly they mated one of the wipers (there are 2) fell out into my hand! I noticed that the grinder's lower cone bolts were finger tight, actually I should say finger loose since I could unscrew then with my finger tips using zero pressure. I personally suspect Customs got in there to look to see what might be inside and messed up the wipers and that was the ticking sound I heard.

The main shaft runs true and zero wobble from it. Impressive compared to the OEM VL.

I hope I do not need to send it back to Germany to get it fixed.
  • Joanes, I forgot to mention the grind quality and fluff of the grind! Absolutely zero clumping. Wiggle the basket to level the grounds and tamp! I love that aspect.
  • do you consider the mod to be worth the $$$
  • Not sure. If you want top and bottom funnels that do not stain and leave/accumulate finger prints then yes. If you do not want that wrinkle finish that collects dust, coffee grounds and dirt, then it was worth it.

Since this VL got whacked by something in the transit between Seattle and Germany and was left out in the rain then it makes me wonder. If I lived in Europe then I would not hesitate to get it done again.
  • and how does the taste compare? or you may not say due to the potential damage on your m3?
  • Damage might have effected the grind quality but as I Posted in this Thread earlier it seems to have more caramel flavor and less bright floral flavors. My Kony has the floral flavors as does my HG-1 and Pharos.