This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Conical v Flat Burr

I know it will have been debated before, but is anyone able to convince me, as a conical owner, that I really am benefiting from something the flat burr grinders cannot produce?
People say glib comments, like you need to spend as much on your grinder as you do your machine to get the best out of it, but, in a domestic environment is that really true, or are we just really stroking our ego's?

Comments

• Some people seem to have an amazing ability to detect subtle hints of one thing or another whereas others are happy as long as the espresso smells nice and isn't bitter. Your personality also plays a part here too. Are you the type that weighs every shot and obsesses over the flow out of your bottomless portafilter? If so, I think you'll always be trying out different grinders and, likely, spending more money each time.

The quality of the grinder is very important but there's certainly less expensive grinders that produce excellent results. Like most things we can buy, grinders fall prey to the law of diminishing returns but, if we spend $2-3K on a grinder we're going to convince ourselves that we can taste the difference.

My personal opinion is that we're going to see a lot of developments in grinders over the next few years as the technology hasn't advanced much over the years. For example, Nuova Simonelli has just announced a grinder that can both heat and cool the grinded beans so they stay within a certain temperature range. Obviously, this is overkill for domestic use but sounds promising in a busy commercial environment where the grinders are constantly running and generating a lot of heat.

The bottom-line is that if you're happy with what's in your cup then it doesn't matter how much you spent on your grinder.
  • On a lot of the on demand grinders you are paying for the delivery mechanism, take the grinder mentioned above, the mythos, the delivery of the mythos is outstanding, almost no retention and beautiful fluffy mound of grinds, that makes preparation very easy, I don't personally think it is overkill in the home either, if you have the room then exploit it. It amazes me that quite a few on here have really skimped on their grinders, we own a £2000 ,machine, should it not be treated to fabulous grinds?

Great grind quality can be had from dosered grinders, especially the big conicals like the robur, k10 barista and they cost a lot less than the OD grinders. Anyway bottom line the L1 is only as good as what you put in it!!
  • Actually, I was referring to the Clima-Pro. The Mythos is an outstanding grinder and I'm sure it's less expensive than the Clima-Pro will be although I haven't seen pricing announced anywhere.
    http://sprudge.com/nuova-simonelli-clima-pro-grinder.html

I bought one of the first run of HG one grinders which is very good but my wandering eye is now wishing the EK 43 wasn't so ugly. John Gordon has an espresso modded EK 43 that looks like it might pass the WAF test.
  • I suspect that the NS Mythos Clima Pro is quite the grinder, ESPECIALLY in a commercial environment where a lot of grinding is going on in an hour. In the home I would not spend the $$$$.

The HG-One is a nice grinder, but so is the Pharos if you want hand crank grinder and both are conical and can do as good job as single dosing as my Kony-E. Now if I put a hopper on the Kony, ie pressure above the bean chute, I think it works a bit better. Big dollars in the Kony.....

A flat burr grinder has good flavors and I cannot really tell a big difference. Subtle, a bit brighter possibly, but the beans have a bigger influence in flavor IMHO. I had a Ceado E-37 for a brief time and really liked the flavors of the machine along with everything except the electronics. If they straightened out the electronics I think the newer E-37s would be a super grinder. Big slow burrs and compact enough to fit under a upper cabinet. I returned the E37 and got a Versalab.

The VL fits anywhere, is basically a flat burr grinder that uses a conical top burr to break the beans and a lower flat burr to really do the grinding. The one I got from the factory was not all that accurate in burr matching(wobble), so it is now being precision fitted by Terranova. He is also adding so strength features(bigger bearings) and then some Bling:-) I suspect the Kony-E will get relegated to decaf grinding...

So, megabucks is not as necessary as precision mated grinding surfaces because in the home do we really grind pounds of coffee per hour?
  • Paul Marshall post=1881 wrote: Actually, I was referring to the Clima-Pro. The Mythos is an outstanding grinder and I'm sure it's less expensive than the Clima-Pro will be although I haven't seen pricing announced anywhere.
    http://sprudge.com/nuova-simonelli-clima-pro-grinder.html

I bought one of the first run of HG one grinders which is very good but my wandering eye is now wishing the EK 43 wasn't so ugly. John Gordon has an espresso modded EK 43 that looks like it might pass the WAF test.

Actually the climapro is a mythos! It is a derivative of the mythos, essentially the same grind path, motors and burrs and in my eyes is probably going to be over priced. I agree that finally grinder technology is moving forward and this year should be interesting. What draws you to the ugly beast? Apart from the hype
  • Right, I missed that Mythos 1 Clima Pro on the front of the machine.
    I'm drawn to the ugly beast by all the positive reviews. I was particularly impressed that Colin Harmon was able to run his busy cafe with only the EK 43 and raved about the espresso quality. It seems like a powerful and durable machine. Having said that, Colin did make a comment about the burrs being very expensive to replace and potentially getting duller faster. Not sure if anyone else has substantiated this when used for espresso. Obviously, the looks are a big drawback.

Terranova's modded VL is a thing of beauty although the price tag is a bit hard to swallow.
  • I'm sure it is an excellent grinder, but my reading of the link you posted of Colin's comments strongly implied to me that he was 'onboard' with the vendor, part of the marketing strategy, if you will

those of you who have been around for a while will know that 'celebrity endorsement' is an increasingly used marketing device in the coffee industry, in particular i am thinking of all the hiss & fizz around the vario when it first arrived

belt driven grinders and ceramic burrs were the future we were told. you don't hear too much about that any more

nothing wrong with that, I would just be concerned if people assumed that the commentator was independent of the product
  • Paul: Terranova's VL Mods are not cheap, but the more Bling the more $$$. Zero Bling means much less cost. Keep it in stainless steel and wrinkle paint and you would have exponentially less $$$ involved.
  • Yes, I noticed that but I figure that if he's willing to risk using it as the sole grinder at his business than it must be very good. I don't think I could put that ugly thing beside my lovely looking L1 though. The modded VL would look really nice sitting beside the L1.
  • I will Post photos when it arrives from Germany, and I can get someone to lift it up to the counter next to the L-I. Being one armed for a month is proving a hassle and my heart goes out to all those folks who have lost an upper limb...
  • Hmm...I should schedule a work trip to Vancouver so I can drive down and lift that up for you ;)
    It would be worth it to see that work of art.
  • I will let you know when it gets here. Any L-I owners are welcome to visit and see how it works with the L-I.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=1900 wrote: I will Post photos when it arrives from Germany, and I can get someone to lift it up to the counter next to the L-I. Being one armed for a month is proving a hassle and my heart goes out to all those folks who have lost an upper limb...

When you said it cost an arm and a leg, I didn't realise you were speaking literally Stephen
  • Reiss Gunson post=1903 wrote: [quote=Stephen Sweeney post=1900]I will Post photos when it arrives from Germany, and I can get someone to lift it up to the counter next to the L-I. Being one armed for a month is proving a hassle and my heart goes out to all those folks who have lost an upper limb...

When you said it cost an arm and a leg, I didn't realise you were speaking literally Stephen

:lol: , yes, an arm and a leg...

A left shoulder rebuild(rotator cuff, bone spurs and arthritis) and a reattachment of the bicep tendon. I have had far worse surgeries so this is just an inconvenience. Almost lost a leg once, along with a fractured pelvis, and that took much more rehab time plus I was much younger.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=1904 wrote: A left shoulder rebuild(rotator cuff, bone spurs and arthritis) and a reattachment of the bicep tendon. I have had far worse surgeries so this is just an inconvenience. Almost lost a leg once, along with a fractured pelvis, and that took much more rehab time plus I was much younger.

Strewth Stephen, you've certainly earned a good espresso or 3. Next time I get manflu I think I'll moan less. Here's to a speedy recovery.
  • The EK43 is also an absolute monster. I can't imagine any mod could ever grant it the elusive WAF.

My local cafe has one (along with five Kony Es, a Macap M4 and a couple of deli grinders) that they're single-dosing with.

I've come away from various utterly unscientific taste comparisons with a personal preference for conicals, but the EK43 has a different taste profile than any flat burr I've come across in the past.
  • Always interesting to read people's view on this. Another key difference for me is the ease of dialling in on the conicals versus the flats. It is pretty easy to get within ballpark with a conical - you are rarely far off with most coffees at a given grind setting. For flats there seems to be a bit more tweaking required to hit the shot.
  • Gino Magnotta post=1911 wrote: [quote=Stephen Sweeney post=1904]A left shoulder rebuild(rotator cuff, bone spurs and arthritis) and a reattachment of the bicep tendon. I have had far worse surgeries so this is just an inconvenience. Almost lost a leg once, along with a fractured pelvis, and that took much more rehab time plus I was much younger.

Strewth Stephen, you've certainly earned a good espresso or 3. Next time I get manflu I think I'll moan less. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Thanks Gino! The doc said today that I have 3 more weeks in a sling and then the rehab. In the meantime it will be playing with powered grinders only :)
  • Well, as much as I promised I would not, I have bought another Mythos and intend to try and break it in as quickly as possible (brand new so the burrs need seasoned) and they shoot it off against the K10. I suspect the K10 will sneak it but the Mythos will win the suitability for a domestic environment.

Here is a short vid of the distribution into the pf of each

• strange, they both seem really really clumpy
  • The K10 is set too tight but it is such a pain making adjustments when I only had 250 grams of that particular bean, I just accepted it. The aim of the video clip was to show the delivery into the pf rather than the grind quality. The Mythos burrs need run in yet but i would not have called it clumpy
  • OK, so here is an attempt to show how the Mazzer Kony-E grinds. No anti-static grid installed. Using RDT prior to grinding of 20g into a 22g Espresso Parts NW Basket.

Doing this all with one had makes for poor video and poor technique but you get the idea of zero clumps while single dosing the Kony-E.
  • All grinders will clump if you grind very fine, the k10 and mythos are usually clump free, guess David likes to grind super fin as I has never had this problem with either grinder.
  • Conical Vs. Flat, you can have both in the same grinder if you cannot make up your mind on one or the other. The Versalab is close to that goal.

I finally got mine back from Frank Durra (Terranova on HB) and boy is it nice! Considerably more quiet, almost zero "Egg Dropping", less prone to finger prints on the brass since there is no brass now. The tower is now a Satin Black finish, NOT a wrinkle finish that collects dirt like it is a goal or something. And the final touch is zero bean popping!

Pretty happy camper here!!

• Oh that is a VERY beautiful thing!!
  • Stephan,
    Could you tell us about the taste in the cup compared to the HGone or your Kony?
    Very beautiful piece of art.
    Regards
    Martin
  • Gorgeous

Video please
  • Stephen, I'm assuming that's a modded versalab - if so can you give us some info about the mods, I don't know much about the M3.
  • Congrats! A gorgeous looking machine!
  • Thanks guys, I will try to elaborate.

TiN coated burrs.

DLC coated upper and lower cones which seem to produce zero static cling, although I did RDT the beans.

TiN bean popper ring and Cone just for a color contrast/Bling.

Polished Stainless Steel main shaft.

Polished surfaces so they are easier to clean than that stupid brushed surface that comes on the VL.

Stain Finished Tower to NOT collect dirt yet not be to shiny and and super expense.

Twin wipers in the lower Funnel.

It is more quiet and that is because the TiN burrs make the grinding easier.

The taste in the cup is more muted than the conicals, like my Kony or my HG-One. It seems to produce more caramel notes than bright fruity ones. I suspect a large flat burr might do the same thing.

I will generate a video soon and add it to this Post, although there is not much to see except beans in and grounds out.

The grounds are fluffy, like the HG-One, and not clumpy like a Kony with the static screen in place does produce. Single dose the Kony with the screen removed and they are all close to each other in fluff.

It took from 9 January to today to get the package from Germany to my door. The USPS system is NOT swift!! The box was even wet like it had sat out in the rain!

More later.

LATER: I need to tighten the grind a bit but this is the drill with my VL.