This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R Questions

2»

Comments

• thank you !
  • Hi Gary I'm in lancashire , have I got any more details of your l1 ? I.e. When bought? How much usage? General condition? I may be looking more at the lr to avoid upgradeitis later but if it's a reasonable price then maybe I'll buy used
  • I'm in the USA (near Seattle), so I guess any other details would be pointless. Good luck with your decision; you can't go wrong with these machines.
  • Ian Skelly post=12712 wrote: Thanks so much for your reply frans, i watched your new lr video today ( great music! I'm trying to get hold of the cd) I have a mazer major and tend to go for Lower acidity chocolaty beans as a rule I like them dark but not harsh. Do you think the major would work ok or would recommend another grinder?

Mazzer Major is excellent. Retention could be an issue but to be sure you get the best result you could discard a half shot to get the freshest grinds out.
  • I placed and paid my order some minutes ago. What do think how long delivery time will be.
  • ralf lahno post=12725 wrote: I placed and paid my order some minutes ago. What do think how long delivery time will be.

Probably this week, but Reiss is the one who has more overview on this. It depends on the amount of machines he has sold in the mean time.
  • Hi Reiss,

I think I've asked this before, but you mentioned L-R users can remove the pump and plumb in direct, essentially turning it into a L-1P (or L-1 in new money), but with a smaller boiler etc.

Can this mod be done for plumbed in L-1 (2012-2016) models?? I'd assume you would need to remove the trombone pipe, cap the boiler, add the manifold (with OPV/check valve) and off we go?

Would these parts (whenever they are listed for the L-R) work on the L-1 (2012-2016)?

I figure it could be an option for those willing to plumb in to have this additional benefit and some extra revenue for Londinium :)

Thanks!
  • hi tim

that is not something we plan to offer

in time there will be nothing to stop you purchasing the L-R parts individually and assembling, but it isn't something we would support

by this i mean if you buy the parts and convert the machine in some way and some kind of issue arises that isn't something i am able to invest time in supporting

we can only support and provide warranties on machines that remain in the condition that they left the factory

this isn't me being especially difficult, i only have so many hours each day to dedicate to support so it cannot extend to mods and customisations, but if you're confident making such changes i very much doubt you would need any help from us anyway

kind regards

reiss.
  • Cheers Reiss. I'd never expect support for an aftermarket mod. More was interested if the parts would be available for individual sale for DIY mods.

I have already purchased the plumb in kit and once the parts are available will be interested to attempt this :)
  • Timothy, I would be very interested in your results. My L1 is already plumbed in and free of its vibe pump. It would be great if the conversion turns out to be possible!
  • Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be doing this mod anytime soon, more just thinking for the future. However I notice someone ("Victor Sherman") has tried this previously on Londinium forum (I can't remember which thread), and also on some UK and Aus forums.

Probably not very fair to post links here, but I'll leave you to do some Google :)
  • hello,

I m not yet owner of Londinium but Im giving a serious thougt to get one.
    What I want to know is what is included in the LR pack? do i have to get the plumb in kit separetly?
    is there a tamper included?
    Thanks,
  • Some question concerning L1 R.

I only have experiences with L1 first series .

Wich what pistol seals the L1 R will be delivered. Standard or new custom version ?

Same question about the shower screen.

The L1 R has a closed HX instead of the open one of the old L1. I know about the advantages but what about
    disadvantages ?

The old L1 is very temperature stabil, is the L1 as stabil as the old one, or do I have to do cooling flashes
    or something else ?

It takes longer to get it on temperature, thats ok.

Thank you for your help ! :)
  • good morning ralf

we no longer sell the standard seals and all LONDINIUM machines are now supplied with our custom made high performance piston seal

it is easy to check that you have the high performance seal as we have increased the height from the standard 7mm at the hub to stop the seal moving up & down in the seal groove which is taller than 7mm (this issue affects all machines that use this group and the seal supplied by the group manufacturer when you want to uses doses higher than the tradition 7/14 italian dose) - the force of the piston coming down causes the seal to be forced up to the top of the seal groove and in doing so it causes the seal to 'burp' and air (never ever water - if water is going past your piston seals they are either worn out or you have damaged them when fitting, there is no other explanation) escapes upward past the seal (the opposite occurs when the piston is raised, especially if the lever is pulled down rapidly)

in my opinion the piston seal issue was one of the factors that went into the decision to take an expensive machine that used this same lever group out of production not so long ago; they never got to the bottom of this issue (this isn't a bold assertion on my part; as evidence i point to the optional 60cc volumetric pump that they developed to raise the group temperature when the machine had been sitting idle; in contrast we worked out that a short flush after the shot solved the problem). accordingly i feel slightly less embarrassed about the length of time it took us to get to the root cause; at least we survived to tell the story

the shower screen supplied with the machine is the same as it always has been from day one. we also offer the IMS µ35M, as a third party performance part if you like

ah yes the disadvantages, the glass half full, its very important isn't it? i would say the disadvantage of the LR to the L1 is that you can't flush it hot so it is ready to use in 12 minutes. we made this design decision a long time ago based on how customers reported that they used their machines and most take our advice and run them on timers, so warm up time is largely a non issue, but i accept that there are occasions that you could get caught out, e.g. when you come home from holiday and really want i decent espresso asap

i think you will find that raising the pressure in the thermosiphon in the LR to 3 bar from boiler pressure has the effect, when combined with our high performance piston seals, of increasing the temperature stability even further than the L1

best

reiss.
  • Good morning Reiss,

thanks, that was the answer I hoped to hear. For me, for all these questions the glass is full.

Maybe you don't remember that I was one of the customers years ago who said the fast heating
    up time by flushing is not really important. The advantages of a closed HX with control over pre infusion
    would be more important.

So, for me the glass is 90 % full.

Thanks and have a good day :-)
  • Filip post=12748 wrote: hello,

I m not yet owner of Londinium but Im giving a serious thougt to get one.
    What I want to know is what is included in the LR pack? do i have to get the plumb in kit separetly?
    is there a tamper included?
    Thanks,

good morning Filip

thank you for your enquiry

not much. a bottomless wenge portafilter with a ridged tapered basket designed to hold about 15.8g, a 100g tube of loxeal grease. a BWT M water filter and softening cartridge, which if your water is sufficiently soft enough already you will not need to use.

kind regards

reiss.