This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R Questions

Reiss,

Great to see the new addition to the Londinium family! Since I don't have a convenient place to plumb in a machine, this seems like the perfect replacement for my current vibe pump semiautomatic. Some questions:

What is the warmup time?

Where did you find the new smaller rotary pump, or was it built to your spec?

Is the thermosiphon and heat exchanger architecture now exactly same as L IP-II-III except for the difference of pump vs line pressure preinfusion?

Does new boiler design make it possible to switch the water port and steam arm sometime later after taking delivery, or does that change need to be made when the machine is ordered and built?

After ongoing problems with two different semiautomatic machine from two different manufacturers, I'm looking forward to switching to a Londinium!

Happy holidays!

Roger Healy

Comments

• dear roger

thank you for your interest

1. assume one hour warm up time, the same as all our machines (in my experience most owners put their machines on a digital timer)

2. the rotary pump is a newly released product from one of the established pump makers - as far as i am aware the LONDINIUM R will be the first espresso machine to market with this pump

3. it depends how far you take 'exactly the same'. at a conceptual level yes, but at a detailed level the LONDINIUM R uses the same horizontal heat exchanger that we used in the LONDINIUM I (2012-2016) boiler, whereas the new L1, L2, and L3 have an inclined heat exchanger and of course larger boilers

4. the boiler modifications will make it a lot easier to change the steam wand from right to left, yes, and it will also look a lot more attractive than it has in the past

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss,

Thanks for the explanation! A couple more:

Not sure what you meant by, "and it will also look a lot more attractive than it has in the past." Could you clarify?

Do you still recommend a 60 ml flush to restart the thermosiphon after pulling a shot? Or just a short flush to clean the screen?

With shipment to the US, will DHL call to coordinate and schedule delivery?

Looking forward to photos and videos. And exploring lever espresso with a new R!

Thanks,
    Roger
  • hi roger

- to date the plumbing of the left side steam wand option has been a bit cosmetically challenged in my view, running half a mile of copper pipe to the opposite side of the boiler. the boiler modification we have planned will tidy this up

- as ive said previously, a short flush after the shot is pulled to clean the screen would be considered best practice in most people's view i think, whether they are using a pump or lever espresso machine. if you forget to make a post shot flush our proprietary piston seals appear to prevent a thermosiphon stall, so you're covered either way

- DHL will eventually call you, but if you are in a hurry being pro-active will generally expedite the process

best

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,
    1) How will the preinfusion pressure be user adjustable (is it from the front panel or inside the machine).
    2) For US market, do you recommend the 220V version (does it provide a quicker warm-up time?)
    3) Will it be possible to change the infusion temperature of the coffee and how?
    4) Is it still a single coil with 6 bars peak pressure?
    Regards
    Martin
  • hello martin

1. you lift the top panel off and adjust it, just as you would the pressure switch for the boiler
    2. for the US market i recommend the 120V machine - that's why we make it! if you are fortunate enough to have the luxury of 240V at your disposal, then of course you would get that as there is no downside
    3. changing the pre-infusion pressure changes the pre-infusion temperature
    4. our single springs have always been rated at 9 bar (measurements below this indicate that not all the air has been removed when making the pressure measurement, and therefore the compressibility of the air returns an under reading of the true pressure of the spring)

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss,

I had the same question regarding warmup time for a 220 V machine. I'm thinking that the higher-wattage heating element primarily affects the recovery time and only minimally affects the warmup time. Most of the warmup time is simply for the group to reach thermal stability by the circulation of the thermosiphon after the boiler reaches operating pressure and temperature.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Roger
  • hi roger

that's exactly right

in other words, if you want to draw off half a gallon of water from the hot water tap on the boiler then yes, the 240V edition will recover much faster when the pump dumps a pile of cold water into the boiler to replenish it

but it is an espresso machine and isn't really intended to be a hot water urn
    (our commercial range with the much larger boilers can cope with this kind of activity)

as an espresso machine (i.e. pulling shots & steaming milk) the 120V edition works just fine

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=12442 wrote: hello martin

1. you lift the top panel off and adjust it, just as you would the pressure switch for the boiler

Do you have a gauge or indication or do you need a scace or something alike to know how much pre-infusion pressure you are at?
  • Hi Martin

The LR will ship with the PI set to 3 bar

Half a turn on the secondary pressure switch moves the PI pressure by about 1/2 a bar so no need for a gauge

If you wanted to you could screw a pressure gauge onto the bottom of a spare PF

A scace is a chocolate teapot as far as lever espresso machines are concerned - I bought one with my own hard cold cash and promptly gave it away

Reiss
  • Is it possible to use the pump only for pre infusion and plump in the machine for refill the boiler ?

Or is this machine not able to be used plumbed in ?

Is there a video where I can see and HEAR a shot ?

Thanks !
  • L1/2/3 are the plumbed in machines, so I would be surprised if there would be a market for plumbing in the one machine that can be moved around. From what I read by owners posting, even for the former L1 there have been guys who ordered the plumb in kit and actually never used it. Creating a kit for it seems superfluous to me but luckily I am not involved.

As soon as I get one, somewhere in the near future I plan to post photos and videos with audio of course, starting with the very first boiler fill. On previous machines the vibe pump would naturally take a while so this needed to be done in two steps (switching off / on) but I expect the fast rotary pump will have the boiler filled in a very short time.
  • Thank you Frans for this words. But I am a little bit irritated , L1, L2; L3 don't need a pump.
    I love the coffee out of my L1 serious 1, but the body is not really perfect.
    But I don't want a machine with 7 l boiler.
    To have control control over pre infusion would be nice, to get 60 ml at a double shot would be nice,
    warming up for the cups would be nice, to take away the waste water would be nice.

So maybe, my wishes are not the same the market are asking for.

So I might have to wait for a L1 with small boiler.
    That would be my dream machine.

Until this I am very satisfied with my old L1 series 1.
  • ralf lahno post=12649 wrote: Is it possible to use the pump only for pre infusion and plump in the machine for refill the boiler ?

Or is this machine not able to be used plumbed in ?

Is there a video where I can see and HEAR a shot ?

Thanks !

yes, you will be able to use the L1 plumb in kit with the L-R and bypass the pump completely

that said i have specifically released this product to deliver an L1(2017 onwards) experience to people who do not wish to plumb in (I'm one of them)
  • But this means, that I have no opportunity that I don't have control over the pre infusion.
    And what about the waste water ?
    It seems that there are no important new opportunities to my old L1 series 1 if I I use it plumbed in ?
  • hi ralf

if you were to deploy the plumb in kit on the LONDINIUM R you would still have the ability to vary the pre-infusion pressure in the same way as if the rotary pump was still being used

you would of course have to ensure that the pressure of the water line supplying the machine was suppling water at a pressure equal or greater than the pre-infusion pressure that you had set on the machine

it is exactly the same kit as we offered for the L1, so assuming you purchased the entire kit which gives you the ability to plumb the drip tray to a waste pipe there is no issue there either

best

reiss.
  • Thank you Reiss for this explanation.
    Does this mean the L1 R has a closed HX like the the actual L1 wich is feeded by fresh water instead of boiler water
    in my L1 generation 1 ?
  • like = unlike, presumably?

yes, that's correct
  • Sorry, your emails have been in my spam folder.
    Everything ok !!
  • ok, i'll try again

the L1/2/3 all share the same architecture with approximately 7 litres of boiler per group and inclined HX tubes that run transverse across the length of the boiler. they are intended for commercial applications, and in my view a bit over the top for domestic use

the LR seeks to mimic the above design, but in a smaller footprint

so for the LR we took the L1(2012-2016) that you know and love, and removed the trombone pipe that feeds the open thermosiphon from the boiler. we capped off the boiler fitting where we removed the pipe.

then we pushed the water box as far to the right as we could to make room for the rotary pump

then we filled in the left hand side frame partially to create a surface upon which to mount the rotary pump

then we removed the piston pump and put the rotary in its place

then we removed all of the plumbing from the end of the small braided pressure hose where it meets the inlet solenoid on the L1(2012-2016), all the way to the boiler

in its place we connected the pressure hose to a manifold, just as you find on the L1/2/3

the manifold allows the cold water being delivered by the rotary pump to be split into two streams; one fills the boiler and the other fills the heat exchanger that runs longitudinally along the boiler

one of the legs of the manifold has a secondary pressure switch supplied by Ceme which allows you to alter the pre-infusion pressure if your coffee needs demand it. the machine is supplied with this pressure switch set to 3 bar

in all other respects the machine is unchanged
  • Thank you, my mistake. I haven't got your emails. These would have answered all my questions.
  • Great explanation...thanks Reiss!
  • Hi I am about to buy either a (2016) L1 (if I can find someone willing to sell me one !) or a possibly an LR (budget is an issue) I love medium to slightly darker espresso's generally, would I notice any difference if I had shots of both machines?
  • Hi after recently selling my giotto I'm keen to buy an (pre xmas) L1 if I can find someone who is selling theirs to upgrade to a Lr,is it however worth me saving a little longer to buy an lr myself? as someone who likes medium to darker roasts would I notice a difference between the shots on a old issue l1 and a lr ?
  • I have just sold my giotto and I am looking at buy either a used (pre xmas) l1 if anyone is looking to sell theres in the uk or I may save up longer to buy an lr , my question is as someone who likes medium to darker (caramel/chocolate) flavour would I notice a difference between a shot on a used l1 and a lr?
  • I would like to say, but I have no idea how extensive your experience with the Giotto has been, what grinder you use, what beans you used (local specialized roasters or others), what your range of baskets / manufacturers was.

So I can't say what you will accomplish or taste.

I had a fantastic time with my L1, right from the start, a world of difference with the little La Pavoni's that I also am fond of. Very easy to pull beautiful soft round tasteful shots. I still also have a Giotto and with a little modification it also works very well but with less subtle taste.

The L1-P was a huge step up because more body of richer shots was possible with more ease as less 'tact/timing' was required in the entire preparation. Possible downside for average homebaristas would be the need to plumb in and out, the large size of the machine, the large in line water filter required, the line pressure to be regulated with a device, possibly a safety valve to close off the line in case of a leak etc.

And now the L-R delivers that professional size shot in the small size machine of the former L1.

If you can afford the L-R, do not hesitate and know that it will retain much of its value if handled with care. If you can find an old style L1 for a steal price, snatch it up and you may sell it again later at upgrade time. L1's might sell fast though, these days. I've had a friend ask me if I know one for sale and several have asked me if I plan to let one of my machines go.
  • Thanks so much for your reply frans, i watched your new lr video today ( great music! I'm trying to get hold of the cd) I have a mazer major and tend to go for Lower acidity chocolaty beans as a rule I like them dark but not harsh. Do you think the major would work ok or would recommend another grinder?
  • Hi Ian,

I would sell you my pre-Xmas L1 to buy an LR. Where are you located?

Gary
  • I sold my L1 series 1 today to buy a L1R.

Maybe you should think about spending some money more to get best non commercial L1 until now.
  • How do you measure the pressure while pre infusing ?
  • you dont need to; we fitted a secondary pressure switch (Ceme) that you can see in frans' images

you can adjust this pressure switch, which i think he mentions in his video

a half turn of adjustment on the Ceme switch moves the pre-infusion pressure by about 0.7 bar i estimate

if you have a portafilter with a pressure gauge as you see in frans video you can take in instrument based approach

if you dont have one you can adjust by simple observation - 3 bar will ensure that the lever grabs at about 80 degrees below vertical when released after 3-4 seconds pre-infusion with an 18g dose

best

reiss.