This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM to offer IMS products

i am going to try offering IMS baskets and screens as a lot of you have asked for them and some of you find them difficult to obtain in your area it seems

if i could get some idea of what those of you who are already using IMS screens and baskets like and dislike this will influence what i decide to offer

as a starting point i intend to offer only products from their competizione range

i was intending to offer the 35WM screen and the range of their baskets, including in particular 'The Single' which i think is the best single shot basket i have used, if for no other reason than you can use a full sized tamper on it

i guess i am interested to learn whether there is a preference for the 200WM screen over the 35WM screen, and which baskets are the most popular

one of the advantages of the L1-P, L2, and L3 is they handle doses over 18g with ease, so i can see that owners of these machines would be looking to acquire higher capacity baskets than the baskets that we ship the machine with

i am also hoping that in offering a slightly larger range of products that are relevant to our machines that it will be more economical for people in the sense that our shipping tends to be a fixed cost if you are ordering small light items like seals and grease, so if you can add in additional items like the screens and baskets and the shipping charge does not rise, then in effect it becomes more economical for you. it also means you don't have to order some of your parts from one supplier and some other bits from another, which is time consuming, both in terms of order placement and in having to be around to receive both packages

let me know - i will try to accommodate as many requests as possible

reiss.

Comments

• so, the sorts of things i am interested to hear - does the 35WM shower screen stretch and sag over time?

i have fitted one just this week primarily because an L1 owner has said that it seems to reduce the rate at which the bottom of the piston gets dirty with coffee fines drawn through the shower screen (because the 35WM is so much finer than the stock screen that we use on the machine)

it also seems to have more of a diffusing effect when the lever is pulled when there is no coffee in the portafilter, which is helpful as it results in less splashing
  • I noticed when I push in the IMS screen I must push the rim, not the middle or I will make it "pop in" and then later when it feels like it, it "pops out" again with a metallic "click" sounding like someone plunking the opening clip of a tin soda can.
  • That tighter screen is something I bought for my e61 machine (if I understand correctly) because I wanted to keep chunkier espresso grounds out of the group when the 3 way valve kicked in. I guess it could help the L a little cleaner even without the 3 way valve.

Larger baskets are a welcome addition, the trend from what I've seen here is big baskets and ristretto shots. I prefer the 1:2 ratio myself.

Today I pulled a 40g shot with a 20.5g dose (10 second PI) easily. A short PI might leave you hanging.

I'd say if the 35 diffuses better then why not? Is there a potential downside?
  • I couldn't say which specific items I am interested in, but I can say that I'm interested in a finer screen and larger doses for sure!
  • I had both the 35um and the 200um at the same time, when I had the L-I. Swapped them to see what the difference was and all I can say is the 35 has finer holes, obviously, but the 35 made a howling noise on long flushes. The 200um did not make that noise and visually, the way the water comes out of both of them looked so similar I could tell no difference.

Both kept the piston and seal much more clean than the OEM screen.
  • Reiss,

I use the B70 2T 26.5H M Basket and the 200um integrated shower on the L1.

Not convinced the screen improves shots much, but it looks smart, and it's far easier to clean than the stock screen.

Went for the 200um over the 35um because of howling experiences on this forum (non-werewolf)

Very happy with both

Cheers
  • I have both types, none howl
  • Frans Goddijn post=9139 wrote: I have both types, none howl
    Yes, the same. Currently using 35
  • My 35um only howled with an unusually long flush.

• Frans Goddijn post=9132 wrote: I noticed when I push in the IMS screen I must push the rim, not the middle or I will make it "pop in" and then later when it feels like it, it "pops out" again with a metallic "click" sounding like someone plunking the opening clip of a tin soda can.

Is this "Pop" coming from the 35um or the 200um screen Frans?

Which screen are you using now?
  • Right now the 200 is in.

I can't remember which one popped. It was me causing it, pushing it up with my fingers applying force in the center instead of the sides.
  • Did you notice a difference between the 2 screen sizes in how the extraction works or how it tastes in the cup?
  • I never tested it. I would need to have a set up fixed and make absolutely sure that there is no other variable between shots, not a second or gram more/less in the cup, and identical extraction rates on the VST refractometer and I never bothered to set all that up.
  • Not even a visual or taste bud impression?
  • I would need to at least change the screens repeatedly to go back and forth and I never did that...
  • I have both screens and I prefer the 200 over the 35.
    While ago me and a friend tried to compare the original screen with the IMS 200 on his Bezzera machine and there was no notable difference in taste between them.

The IMS 200 screen however kept everything cleaner, a short flush would clear the screen and less coffee residuals went back into the 3 way valve.
    Besides that the IMS screen looks much nicer than the original one.

Regarding the IMS baskets, I have the 26.5,28.5 and the 'single'.
    The 28.5 is the one I'd definitely recommend as a must have especially with the L1 for those who would like 18-19g dose and leave enough headroom inside for the coffee to extract properly.

So Reiss in my opinion you should offer the 28.5, the 'single' baskets and the 200 group screen (at least for start).

Kfir.
  • hi kfir

why do you prefer the 200 over the 35?

(i read your comments above as saying the 200 kept things cleaner than the stock screen, rather than the 35)

all things being equal the 35 should keep things cleaner than the 200 as the holes in the mesh are smaller

were there other reasons for the preference

reiss.
  • Water distribution was a bit nicer, the flow looked a bit better to me.

Off curse it's more of a personal preference than science...

Kfir.
  • I don't think anyone's specified, but are the baskets the IMS B70 2T series? (26.5 and 28.5)?

Also, Expresso Parts offers a couple of IMS shower screens on their website. The one that fits is the E60 200 IM non welded one (and 35 micron), right?

Thanks. Michael
  • Have you seen this Thread as well as the Thread on "Using straight sided baskets"???

http://londiniumespresso.com/forum/londinium-i-owners-forum/494-basket-fit-in-naked-pf#7392
  • This is what I am/was using on the L-I. I must assume that they will work fine with the L1-P. I have the EPNW and the VST baskets as well; see straight sided Thread.

• Maybe someone else who has used the IMS Screens, both the 200um and the 35um could comment please.

I was using the 200um in my L-I and really liked it because of its finer mesh keeping the piston and seal cleaner. It also had a good dispersion of the water from the Group.

On the L1-P I have noticed something I did NOT notice on the L-I. The center portion of the 200um screen does not flush clean with a post shot flush. Has anyone else noticed this?

Does the 35um screen leave a small portion of the screen dirty with grounds after a flush?
  • Have you soaked the screen in cafiza or some other cleaner, or replaced it with another screen of the identical type to check if it is something about this individual copy of the type of screen?
  • I expect you'll find it's because you can't run 5 gallons of water through the group with the L1-P/2/3 in the way that you can with the L1

Suggest you try the 35 mesh screen as its 6 times finer and should therefore keep more coffee below the screen, and no dead spot either from memory

I seem to recall that you reported it howled or whistled but no one else has reported such behaviour with the 35 - i suspect that it won't happen on the P anyway, as you can't flush a high volume of water through it like you can on the L1
  • Reiss Gunson post=9899 wrote: I expect you'll find it's because you can't run 5 gallons of water through the group with the L1-P/2/3 in the way that you can with the L1

Suggest you try the 35 mesh screen as its 6 times finer and should therefore keep more coffee below the screen, and no dead spot either from memory

I seem to recall that you reported it howled or whistled but no one else has reported such behaviour with the 35 - i suspect that it won't happen on the P anyway, as you can't flush a high volume of water through it like you can on the L1

The 35im did howl in the L-I but I do not remember about a dead spot in the center and that was why I asked.

As far as "running 5 gallons of water through the group", I never did that and in fact the most I ran through it at one time was the long flush of 180ml that caused the howl. I usually flush 60ml or close to it.

I was just hoping that someone might have tried both in the L1-P or L-II or L-III so I could hear their feedback.

most screens are going to have a solid centre to try and prevent them dishing out over time

apparently frans has the 200 IMS screen on his L1P and isn't experiencing the issue you report

try the 35 if you still have it - it is a different construction to the 200 and in theory it should hold more coffee below the screen and i don't think its going to whistle on the L1-P, even for you, as it doesnt have the low pressure high flow architecture of the L1

i had the 35 on my L1 here at home, but a friend has that machine now and the screen went with it unfortunately, but i really liked it - if it keeps coffee fines below the screen its worth having

• Thanks for Posting that Reiss. Looks like I am going to have to purchase the 35wm to try it.

I certainly like the idea of keeping the Group seals/piston seals cleaner.

I will try to Post a video link of what is happening.
  • I have both screens and I prefer the 200 over the 35.
    The 35 is way too fine, it sometimes even move during a flush.

If you pull that short flush after each shot by holding the PF in the group without locking it then every screen (including the original) will be clean - try it.

Kfir.
  • Kfir, I used the 200 screen for over a year in the L-I and it never came out during a flushing, but with the L1-P it does dump itself onto the drip tray or into the pitcher I use as a flushing/cleaning pitcher.

The OEM screen stays put and I am not sure the differences since I have not used a micrometer on the IMS or the OEM screen diameters.
  • I think it has nothing to do with the type of machine or the type of screen but with tiny wear after repeatedly taking off this one screen for cleaning, or the rubber seal on it not working properly, needing replacement. This can be checked by using another copy of the same type of screen and/or using a new rubber seal ring on the screen.