This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Why no fully manual espresso machine

I guess the pre-sales questions forum is as good as anywhere for this question.

I do not understand, for the life of me, why no one is making a proper fully manual lever machine that has the necessary gauges for properly and accurately pulling of an espresso shot.

The only two fully manual machines, afaik, are the La Pavoni and Olympia Cremina. Each of them has major design flaws that make them less than ideal and inconsistent espresso machines, not to mention neither has a proper pressure gauge that reads the pressure at the puck.

Instead of "fixing" the minor issue(s) of a fully manual lever machine, and designing one that pulls easily, accurately, safely, with a proper gauge that reads the accurate pressure at the puck, we get the power of shot pulling taken away from us via springs, buttons, and pumps. In other words, the machines are made overly complicated with unnecessary parts that lessen the over-all functionality of the machines themselves, often turning them into one-trick-ponies. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Is it the case that there are NO off-the-shelf fully manual lever groups that can be used, thus companies like Londinium are left with what is available because only La Poviina & Olympia makes true manual groups and keep those groups to themselves? And neither of them wish to include a proper gauge to ensure proper usability of the machine?!?!?! Therefore, a company like Londinium turns to Bosco group heads and makes what they can from what is available instead of what would be optimal for the home "pro-consumer?"

I understand the difference between a home user pulling shots and a commercial environment where a spring becomes more appropriate due to labor and them using, often, only one bean roast anyway.

In all honesty, due to this lack of a sub $100 part in a fully manual espresso machine I'm left turning to extremely expensive machines like the 'Slayer' because they are the only machines that allow for precise control with proper user feedback without hacking the machine endlessly. Are they really the only ones that seem to "get it" but need to over-complicate it for the sake of cranking up the price?

I just don't get it.

A fully manual lever machine only needs a quality pressure gauge reading the pressure at the puck and the user could make it do whatever they need it to do for any type bean & roast. . . . at such a lower cost with less complicated parts.

To me that is the perfect pro-consumer home espresso machine — I don't need a one trick pony, I don't need more automation, I don't need more parts, I don't needs the control taken away from me. I need proper intelligent design. After all we are talking about people, at home, that take their coffee fix very seriously or they would have purchased a POS vibe pump for a $100.

I really don't get why this type of machine is missing from the market.

Comments

• Charles S post=8001 wrote: I do not understand, for the life of me, why no one is making a proper fully manual lever machine[...] This makes no sense to me whatsoever [...] I just don't get it [...] I really don't get why this type of machine is missing from the market.

I think there's a simple technical reason why what you call "fully manual" machines have these little brew groups. On these, it can be difficult for some to pull the lever hard enough without pulling the machine too hard and toppling it over. Now imagine the same with a much bigger group.
    The only two fully manual machines, afaik, are the La Pavoni and Olympia Cremina.

You have not been looking around you at all! There's the ES3, the PV Lusso, the list goes on. You will find a little one you will like when you just look!
    After all we are talking about people, at home, that take their coffee fix very seriously or they would have purchased a POS vibe pump for a $100.

I do not understand who made you so angry that you come storming in here like this! Take it easy.
  • Frans Goddijn post=8002 wrote: I think there's a simple technical reason why what you call "fully manual" machines have these little brew groups. On these, it can be difficult for some to pull the lever hard enough without pulling the machine too hard and toppling it over. Now imagine the same with a much bigger group.

As stated in my OP, ***properly designed." An intelligent proper design solves such use problems.
    Frans Goddijn post=8002 wrote: You have not been looking around you at all! There's the ES3, the PV Lusso, the list goes on. You will find a little one you will like when you just look!

PV Lusso is spring. ES3 isn't even in production and nothing I would call pro-consumer level, not even close. So, no I haven't found one that I like. I've looked ;)

Several spring lever pro-consumer machines, but not manual lever. Would love for you to show me, since you know that I haven't looked.
    Frans Goddijn post=8002 wrote: I do not understand who made you so angry that you come storming in here like this! Take it easy.

Storming in here? How does one storm into a forum? Please! Angry? No! Frustrated that companies claim to want to make a great pro-consumer device but no one bothers with the obvious fully manual bullet proof device. . . yeah, probably.

I'm simply expressing an opinion and pointing out a simple fact that such a machine doesn't exist and those looking at pro-consumer level machines surely are not the same people buying $100 low end going to fall apart in a year vibe machines.

Sorry if that got your panties in a bunch, relax, we are all allowed to express our opinions. I didn't attack you or anyone else, thus no need for you to attack me out of the gate.

BTW, nice way to jump on someone in their first post to a forum when they only expressed an opinion and asked a question. . . . makes the Londinium community seem like something I really want to be a part of. /s

Hint: there's a reason I posted here ;)

I look forward to you showing me the great pro-consumer fully manual lever devices I so cluelessly over-looked.
  • Charles S post=8003 wrote: ES3 isn't even in production

http://strietman.bigcartel.com/products

It is in production, has been for a while now.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu has a lot of the little ones on his site and a list of them available. All of those are small. Most probably for a very practical reason.

You want a much bigger brew group without a spring. Maybe the design of a La Pavoni Europiccola on steroids is what you look for, but the Londinium is not it. I hope you keep looking!
  • You do realize my OP is to the maker of the Londinium, NOT you personally. . .

I'm asking why NO ONE that makes these machines is considering this option. Since you don't make espresso machines you really don't have anything of value to add, do you? Do you know if they can even source a proper group or group top? Probably not.

But hey, I'm sure Reiss thanks you for ensuring that I remove the 'Londinium I' from my number 1 option since what I would like is not available, and going with a Bezzera Strega instead because this is NOT a community I would ever want to deal with again due to one person. I'm sure he's happy the community is doing such a nice job promoting his product.

Maybe, just maybe, with a small conversion the top group of the Londinium could be converted to non-spring. . . . but instead I got some joker playing community police instead of an intelligent conversation.

Well done! Well done indeed!
  • I'm not Reiss (nor do I manufacture espresso machines) so take this for what it's worth, but I think it's due not so much to technical or manufacturing challenges, but because there's just not enough of a perceived market that would make it worthwhile to develop and attempt to sell such a product.
  • John Heckendorn post=8006 wrote: I'm not Reiss (nor do I manufacture espresso machines) so take this for what it's worth, but I think it's due not so much to technical or manufacturing challenges, but because there's just not enough of a perceived market that would make it worthwhile to develop and attempt to sell such a product.

Thank you, John, for the reasoned on-topic response!

I certainly see your point being 100% valid for commercial machines. I doubt any espresso bar would bother with a fully manual lever machine these days.

However, considering Olympia is still pumping out a very high priced home lever machine and La Pavoni are hitting the mid/low market with ~9 models, it does seem there is a home pro-consumer market, not to mention all the spring lever machines in these price categories, though the spring-lever machines are given preference due to consistency — my entire point of the OP as people that have hacked lever machines and added pressure gauges have found them to be very consistent in the cup, more flexible than spring-lever & pump machines, and much more enjoyable to use than standard manual-lever machines, though they still suffer their current design flaws.

Furthermore, while it does seem there is a lot of bashing of levers on forums which adds to this perceived lack of market desire you speak to — generally due to their inconsistency which is what I'm asking to be addressed via pressure gauge & design — there does seem to be significant desire for a good (read: consistent & easy to pull — similar to the Cremina), at an affordable price, non-spring lever thus the skyrocketing price of vintage Creminas which is due in large part because they are considered much more consistent, easier to use, and better build quality than the La Pavoni machines.

So, IMHO, it's hard to say how the home pro-consumer would react because there has NEVER been a well designed manual-lever machine that is both consistent & easy to use, especially at a good price point with pro-consumer features — the Cremina is reasonably easy to pull but with no pressure gauge you are flying blind when it comes to consistency, and it does fall behind the 'Londinium I' as far as pro-consumer features yet costs significantly more. Therefore, for all we know a well priced 'Londinium I' manual-lever with proper gauges that allow for true consistency in the cup, and is as easy to pull as a Cremina would be a hit for the home pro-consumer. . . . as I fail to see why someone who likes the idea of a spring-lever would not love the idea of a consistent manual-lever for home use even more — opens up more possibilities and isn't bound by any "automated" feature. Possibly via a modified group-top & lever, could a 'Londinium I' be such a machine without adding a ton of redesign, I don't know. . . just asking and putting forth the idea.

I, for one, would not be searching for a machine if there was a manual-lever espresso machine with @puck pressure gauge, stable shot pull (Cremina), fit, finish, features, and price of the 'Londinium I' — take my money! That's an easy decision IMO — complete flexibility on shot pull & use of espresso beans & roasts, low maintenance, minimal added gadgetry to fall apart, etc. . . . there wouldn't me anything it couldn't do all while maintaining minimalism in design.

Can it be done? Is anyone even thinking about it? I'm curious to know.

Maybe you are correct and no one cares.
  • My guess is that it's simply physics. The amount of muscle power required to create 9 bars of pressure over the surface area of a commercial sized portafilter is on the close order of 500 lbs. Even with a lever long enough to give an MA (mechanical advantage) of 10:1 (which would be an unworkably long lever), that's still 50 lbs of pressure the barista must apply and modulate to manually profile a shot. I know that even with the dinky 43.5mm basket on my Arrarex Caravel, pulling a shot can be a workout, and that requires 40% less pressure.
  • George Van Wagner post=8008 wrote: My guess is that it's simply physics. The amount of muscle power required to create 9 bars of pressure over the surface area of a commercial sized portafilter is on the close order of 500 lbs. Even with a lever long enough to give an MA (mechanical advantage) of 10:1 (which would be an unworkably long lever), that's still 50 lbs of pressure the barista must apply and modulate to manually profile a shot. I know that even with the dinky 43.5mm basket on my Arrarex Caravel, pulling a shot can be a workout, and that requires 40% less pressure.

Yeah, I've seen numbers from 13lbs to 40lbs for 9bar pressure on a La Povina. . . . . though I have no idea what is truly correct.

However, fulcrums and levers can be designed to do a lot of the work, I would think. The current crop of lever devices on the market are using very minimal leverage & designs. I wouldn't really use them as a "what can be done" reference point.

This reminds me of a demo a guy did on pulleys. He lifted a car 3 feet off the ground by himself via pulleys.

So, yes there would have to be some intelligent design/engineering, if it is even possible at all.
  • Add pulleys, etc. and it's no longer "manual," strictly speaking. Springs were invented to give us mechanical advantage our muscles couldn't provide. What you seem to be looking for is what machines like the Caravel used to provide. Both pressure and temperature control, easily done. I have both an L1 and 3 Caravels. All of them deliver comparable shots. By varying grind I can change extraction times and to a certain extent pressure on the L1, and haven't found the strictly manual process of the Caravel to provide any real advantage on a day to day basis.
  • George Van Wagner post=8010 wrote: Add pulleys, etc. and it's no longer "manual," strictly speaking. Springs were invented to give us mechanical advantage our muscles couldn't provide. What you seem to be looking for is what machines like the Caravel used to provide. Both pressure and temperature control, easily done. I have both an L1 and 3 Caravels. All of them deliver comparable shots. By varying grind I can change extraction times and to a certain extent pressure on the L1, and haven't found the strictly manual process of the Caravel to provide any real advantage on a day to day basis.

Big difference between the spring-lever and using leverage to assist. One takes control away while the other lessens the necessary strength required while still allowing full control.

Your argument is saying a manual transmission isn't a manual transmission cause it has gears. No.

A modern pro-consumer Cremina/Caravel/La Pavone. . . yes, that's what I'm looking for. Not a vintage lever minus all the features, nor an over-priced hipster device.

A spring-lever cannot/will not do well with certain roasts due to its automated spring-assisted pressure that you CANNOT FULLY control — that's just the reality and well known fact/weakness of spring-lever espresso machines. You can't increase pressure significantly on a spring-lever at will if needed, only reduce the pressure. This is why certain machines (pump & manual) do better than spring-lever with certain roasts — it's a trade off for having that spring control the consistency.

That's not saying a spring-lever isn't a great device and perfect for many users. Seems like people would rather argue that point than discuss the possibilities of the idea of a modern pro-consumer manual-lever that gives proper user feedback for more consistency & flexibility.

Why add a part that takes away control from the user (spring) instead of adding a part that gives more control (pressure gauge) to the user? That's my basic fundamental question here.
  • Buy a Cremina.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=8012 wrote: Buy a Cremina.

Yes! I overlooked that one even.

If someone wants that system with a much bigger brew group, the force needed would necessitate a very heavy structure to prevent the huge lever to break off the brew group or to rip off the front of the system, and one must either bolt the machine to the kitchen sink or load more dumb weight in the back of it like the Strega already has to prevent it from toppling over.

If one wants a clever engineering system to make all this simpler: it exists. Is called a spring.

Using the hand to make the lever go up slower or push it up a little, one can decrease or increase the pressure.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=8012 wrote: Buy a Cremina.

I don't see the need for a pressure gauge at the puck. I've been pulling shots on a La Pavoni Europiccola for 15 years and I've never felt the need of one. The felt force needed to pull the lever combined with the visual nature of the stream from the puck provides sufficient feedback to pull consistent shots (assuming other variables – grind, bean freshness etc – are constant). The problem with the La Pavoni is over-heating of the group.
  • Matthew Hoffman post=8014 wrote: The problem with the La Pavoni is over-heating of the group.

That overheating of the little hotheaded brew group can easily be overcome by getting the "Tije" cooling ring. For perfectionists, an exact brew group temperature can be managed with a PXG4:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2015/01/finished-pavoni-fuji-pxg4-pid-probe.html

Still, I only use the Pavoni when I am away from home. At home nothing beats the Londinium.
  • I love how many of the comments here are NOT related to the OP and clearly show the commenter either didn't read the OP or has zero reading comprehension. :woohoo:

"Buy a Cremina. . . " :sick:

Specifically pointed out it does NOT have the pressure gauges I'm looking for on a manual. . . nor is it the pro-comsumer level of device desired — plumbed in. . . :P

"Buy a relic or over-priced hipster device" . . . that, again, clearly does NOT have the desired features. . . so far off! :unsure:

:oops:

"But I can do god shots with a La Pavoni or ______" . . . . :whistle: . . . "I don't need no stinkin' gauges!!!"

Not everyone can, and doubtful anyone can consistently, either. Consistency & ease of use is the argument. And again, I'm not looking for a machine for you, but myself! :pinch:

But hey, you rock on in a Londinium forum telling everyone how great the La Pavoni is :dry:

Nonetheless, a very enlightening little thread for me. :blink:

I realize I'm not paying for an espresso machine. I'm investing in a company that either pulls parts off the shelf and makes the same old same old. . . or one that does R&D and pushes the science of espresso brewing forward and provides a great innovative product, thus I've purchased a 1-group Slayer — will go back to my home town, Seattle, for the summer, hang out at SeaFair, go to my class reunion, see family & friends, and bring back a baby Slayer. . . I feel better giving extra cash to those who desire to push the experience forward and the Slayer will do everything I want or need and brew any roast above and beyond. . .

You all have fun telling people to buy what they've already pointed out doesn't work for them, patting yourselves on the back for being god shot maestros, and ignoring product limitations. :silly:

enjoy. . .

I know I will enjoy the Slayer. :P
  • On the topic:
    From what I see OP is absolutely sure that a pressure gauge at the puck is all that needed for consistency in the cup. I would respectfully disagree. In my opinion (am I entitled for one?) manually controlled temperature (at the puck) and constant equal flow across the surface of the puck is the only way to go to be in full control and ensure that perfect consistency.

So, c’mon Reiss pick up your game. Don't settle with just a pressure gauge at the puck. Make what is absolutely necessary to properly and accurately pull the shot: Huck your group and give us high precision thermocouple (in the center of the puck) and a decent accuracy (at least 1%) flow meter at every point of the puck surface. I don't want any electronics – clever mechanical solution will suffice. Make it and it will make me and two other experts I know happy.

In the meantime, while I don't get why nobody gets it, I will continue happily ‘suffer’ with what Londinium 1 has to offer.
  • I happily share your suffering!
  • Frans Goddijn post=8018 wrote: I happily share your suffering!

Me too :)
  • I'm sure that Charles' drive-by is done, but in case he does deign to return, the question I would ask is what is his authority for claims of lever machines not working with "certain roasts"? Because I haven't yet run into a roast that the Londinium didn't do a marvelous job with. So, source and cite, please. More than one, if possible.Otherwise, you've constructed a straw man to knock down. And if your sources are all people who are in the business of selling machines that are infinitely adjustable, then I would add a few grains of salt the the claims.

Secondly, it was pointed out several times here, why a commercial sized-portafilter and fully manual machine were not a practical combination, but he seemed to ignore that basic physics of the situation.

I think of it like guitar players. There are those who spend all their time fussing over the technical details of their equipment and those who simply pick up an instrument and make music. Both can be valid approaches, but they usually don't coexist in a single individual. Someone who wants to endlessly tweak their gear in search of the perfect sound will not be happy if they can't adjust this or that before playing, and someone who likes to simply play will never be happy with a setup where they have to do all sorts of other stuff before they can make music.
  • hi Charles

sorry, i wasn't around yesterday

an interesting post

how do you think we should measure pressure in the puck simple and reliably? (as I'm not sure how to do this)

and secondly, assuming we were to create such a machine, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

kind regards

reiss
  • Well, he's demonstrated the willingness to pay at least $8,500 USD (base price of the single-group Slayer) for a machine he believes will do what he wants.
  • I hope he realises that not even a new Slayer is without teething problems. This thread on Home-Barrista might interest him:

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/slayer-single-group-temperature-accuracy-and-stability-issues-t33273.html?hilit=slayer
  • George Van Wagner post=8020 wrote: Secondly, it was pointed out several times here, why a commercial sized-portafilter and fully manual machine were not a practical combination, but he seemed to ignore that basic physics of the situation.

I think of it like guitar players.

I think that's a beautiful analogy you gave.

Years ago I was at a lecture of Huib van Krimpen, a renowned typographer. In the audience was a young man, who asked a question at the end. Actually it was not a question but a statement of his own. He said that according to him, right justified text was not better, not more legible than text that is 'ragged right'. Van Krimpen calmly replied "Yes, you have a point there and you very well may be right too. Time will tell, but until now for centuries every leading typographer has disagreed with your point."

I found that a most gallant response of him. I wish I were more like him!

If someone appears claiming that all espresso machine designers so far missed an essential point, he may be right, but so far few have agreed.
  • Victor Sherman post=8017 wrote: On the topic:
    From what I see OP is absolutely sure that a pressure gauge at the puck is all that needed for consistency. . .

And where did I say, ***ONLY**** or ***all that is needed****

Again with the reading comprehension failure!

A pressure gauge at puck on a manual lever espresso machine goes a long ways to helping the user become more consistent. I've proven this myself as have others who've hacked lever machines.

Now that was a straw man fallacy you created right there.

Saying a gauge would go a long way to helping consistency is not the same as saying it must have every bell and whistle.
    George Van Wagner post=8020 wrote: ... the question I would ask is what is his authority for claims of lever machines not working with "certain roasts"? . . .

Secondly, it was pointed out several times here, why a commercial sized-portafilter and fully manual machine were not a practical combination, but he seemed to ignore that basic physics of the situation.

To your first point:
    1. personal experience. Spring-lever machines do not do well with lighter roasts.
    2. Tons of people who are on coffegeek and home-barista that are into lever machines have backed this up countless times.

You implying that you KNOW everything about spring-lever machines and how they work with EVERY roast is another fallacy. You have not tried every possible roast with your spring-lever. Like most spring-lever owners you have most likely stuck to medium to darker roasts.

you want sources, links, etc? Use Google, Bing, Yahoo! or whatever search engine you like and educate yourself.

I've wasted enough time with you all-knowing lot.

As to your second argument:
    1. No one here has PROVEN anything about the leverages needed and if they can or can't be done with a properly desinged device. I haven't seen an engineer speak on the topic and give a detailed answer here. Only speculation by people who DON'T KNOW but claim to know-all.
    2. NO where did I say the group head HAD to be such and such a size. That's all on this community adding to my QUESTION, drifting and attacking instead of intelligently discussing the QUESTION raised.

I only raised a question/idea, why NOT a manual lever espresso machine with a gauge. Everything I stated revolved around that one question/idea.

The Londinium community went down to la la land with the arguments and bashing from the first comment by Frans — ignoring the OP totally and just attacking.

I was asking a question about an idea that has worked well for me on a modded lever machine. I WAS NOT stating facts. The "facts" have all come from, clearly uninformed, Londinium "experts" of this all-knowing community!
    Reiss Gunson post=8021 wrote:
    how do you think we should measure pressure in the puck simple and reliably? (as I'm not sure how to do this)

and secondly, assuming we were to create such a machine, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

reiss

That's why I asked the question. Does NO ONE here understand what a '?' means?

From my OP:
    Charles S post=8001 wrote:
    I do not understand, for the life of me, why no one is making a proper fully manual lever machine that has the necessary gauges for properly and accurately pulling of an espresso shot.. . .

Is it the case that there are NO off-the-shelf fully manual lever groups that can be used, thus companies like Londinium are left with what is available because only La Poviina & Olympia makes true manual groups and keep those groups to themselves?

Can people not see that I'm saying "I do not understand" and am therefore asking?

Considering the Cremina sells for $1,000 USD more than the L1 currently, there does seem to be some room for competition. . . . . but!

I was asking a question/raising an idea. I guess that isn't allowed in the Londinium forums, cause the Londinium is perfection personified and this is a fanboy club or some other form of ridiculousness. . . . were ideas and questions just aren't allowed!

And there was good reason I asked that question here — the 'Londinium I' was number one on my list since a gauged manual lever isn't available. Optimum word in that sentence is, WAS.

And I expected this NEW small company that wants to make the "Best" home pro-consumer espresso machine to be open to ideas and discussion. . . . clearly not the case in the community forums.

But the community apparently doesn't see question marks nor is open to outsiders, and you Reiss would rather ask me how much I'm willing to pay than give an informing educated response? Form someone who is building espresso machines, that's what I get?!?!?!? Is that you being flippant? Or just the reality that you have no clue how it could be done because you only use off-the-self parts?

Since you are the one, supposedly, designing these machines, shouldn't you be able to tell me the how & why as to why or why not? Why would you ask me how????? That was my OP FFS!!! Guess you didn't bother to read it either.

I simply asked a f'n question here!!!! Because I do NOT understand why this type of machine is missing form the market. And for that I've been attacked endlessly as if I entered into an apple fanboy club with an Android device and told them how crappy their devices are. I didn't bag on anything in my OP — I only expressed my confusion as to why a manual-lever machine with a proper pressure gauge is not available on the market.

You want to know how much I would pay for it if you could do it?

Not a f'n cent!

Cause being part of this "community" and seeing something in my home on a daily basis that reminds me of what axx-hats people in this community are is something I'm willing to pay much more to NOT be part of.

You see, a product like this form a small company is about more than just the product. Clearly that's lost on everyone here, including the owner of the company.

I'm done. Best of luck, Reiss, with your company. With this community's support and the current attitude around here you'll need all the luck you can get.
  • Frans Goddijn post=8024 wrote: [quote=George Van Wagner post=8020]Secondly, it was pointed out several times here, why a commercial sized-portafilter and fully manual machine were not a practical combination, but he seemed to ignore that basic physics of the situation.

I think of it like guitar players.

I think that's a beautiful analogy you gave.

Years ago I was at a lecture of Huib van Krimpen, a renowned typographer. In the audience was a young man, who asked a question at the end. Actually it was not a question but a statement of his own. He said that according to him, right justified text was not better, not more legible than text that is 'ragged right'. Van Krimpen calmly replied "Yes, you have a point there and you very well may be right too. Time will tell, but until now for centuries every leading typographer has disagreed with your point."

I found that a most gallant response of him. I wish I were more like him!

If someone appears claiming that all espresso machine designers so far missed an essential point, he may be right, but so far few have agreed.

And for the longest time the world was flat! But ONE person disagreed!

There's a saying in stock & commodity trading that comes from psychology. "The group is always wrong." If everyone is headed in one direction, go in the opposite and you will be correct — one only need to think about all the atrocities done when everyone was moving in the same direction because they were all "correct" and "knew best" because humans are often like lemmings and too lazy to think for themselves.
  • Charles

im not quite sure why you're so hot under the collar as I've come back to you with a fairly open response, certainly by my standards

im interested to know what you would be willing to pay for the machine you describe and you have not even offered an indicative price range - this is key - low volume niche products result in very high unit prices

others have tried to outline to you the physics we are up against - there is no prejudice against a manual lever here - we could build a group if we could come up with a design that worked

Slayer make lovely machines, but I'm not sure they offer the in puck pressure monitoring that you have outlined

i think we are pretty democratic here actually - we don't delete posts unlike most forums so we're happy enough to give you a platform for your views

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=8027 wrote:
    im interested to know what you would be willing to pay for the machine you describe and you have not even offered an indicative price range - this is key - low volume niche products result in very high unit prices

I think this goes to the musings in my original reply, and in a way corroborated by Charles, when he noted that a Cremina is $1K more expensive than an L1 -- even with all the R&D fully paid up long ago (I guess). There's simply not a huge market for a fully manual commercially-sized lever machine such as he describes, and so the margins on the small number of machines likely to be sold would have to be very large so as to justify manufacturing/distribution/etc. I grant that the perception that there is not much of a market could be wrong...but generally speaking, when it comes to market economics, there's a reason things are as they are.

This would make an interesting project on H-B (or Kickstarter, perhaps), but I can understand the reluctance of manufacturers large and small to dedicate money and resources towards the machine Charles describes.
  • it would be nice to see some images of your Slayer when it arrives Charles

please do pop back and post some images of it in action if you have a moment

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=8027 wrote: Charles
    im not quite sure why you're so hot under the collar as I've come back to you with a fairly open response, certainly by my standards

Could it be because I'm sick and tired of being attacked on YOUR forum?

Your response wasn't much of a response. It is utterly irreverent what I would pay. I'm one person. It is relevant IF you could do it, what price you would need to charge to be profitable, and how that matches to the market. Asking me what I would pay is ridiculous and comes off as flippant. Clearly the cost isn't my issue.

Comparing your cost to manufacture it to the current market leader(s), Olympia Cremina & La Pavoni, would seem to be the more intelligent thing to do as a business person, wouldn't you agree?

Basing anything on one person's willingness and/or ability to pay is INSANE and a sure recipe for business disaster.
    Reiss Gunson post=8027 wrote:
    others have tried to outline to you the physics we are up against - there is no prejudice against a manual lever here - we could build a group if we could come up with a design that worked

No, people have speculated. What we do KNOW is that the Cremina works very well with its fully manual lever. I did not say a 58MM group was required or mandatory. So, what we do know is that a manual lever for the home consumer IS feasible. That's why they exist.

As to how a pressure gauge could be added. . . I can only say how I've added it, and others, to a La Pavoni — drilled right into the side of the group. Though, I would hope a manufacturer would be able to machine a more elegant approach.

Now, the real question is:

Can a business produce a better manual-lever device than the current competition, at as good or better price than what is on the market? And what would such a device have for features?
    Pressure gauge?
    Can it be hooked to water main?
    Hot water spigot?
    etc. . . .

Notice NO ONE asked anything about such things. . . No, I got, you haven't looked at all!!!! Buy ____, 'Londinium I' is NOT for you, etc. . .

Seriously, if you're spending a few grand on a product and this is the way the community "greets you," you are going to get a little annoyed at such childish behavior and attacks in such a situation.
    Reiss Gunson post=8027 wrote:
    Slayer make lovely machines, but I'm not sure they offer the in puck pressure monitoring that you have outlined

Apples & oranges. Very different machines that can produce very similar and very different results. The slayer's pressure is controllable to a point, but that's not the ultimate reason I chose their machine. Again, something no one bothered to ask is, what's good or bad about Slayer, and how does that relate to a manual or spring lever device. Well, questions and discussion weren't really taking place here — accusations and telling-off were.

No, it wasn't very democratic around here at all. It was very much, bully the person because s/he asked a question that, apparently by a few, was deemed unworthy of intelligent discussion.

So, here is what "we" (read: I) do KNOW.

1. A home manual lever machine is perfectly possible.
    2. A pro-consumer espresso machine with great milk frothing, hot water, hooked to main water or bucket is possible — cough *L1* cough.
    3. There is NO such machine on the market that combines #1 & #2.
    4. No manufacture, AFAIK, has ever added a pressure gauge to a manual lever machine — maybe it isn't possible, I'm asking.
    5. Old Creminas sell used for ~$2,000 USD
    6. New Creminas sell for ~$3,500 USD
    7. New 'Londinium I' sell for ~$2,500 USD

I don't know. Maybe I'm just stupid or slow in the head. But looking at 1 through 7 above, it would reason that if some intelligent person were to make a manual-lever machine with the features and price of an L1 and solve THE MAJOR complaint of a manual-lever machine it might have a chance at success. . . . especially is such a machine fell right into the design of an already existent machine thus minimizing design & manufacturing costs.

BUT, I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO SOLVE THAT ONE MAJOR COMPLAINT OF A MANUAL LEVER ESPRESSO MACHINE.

I don't know, according to forum members here I'm far too dumb to put 1 through 7 together or to have looked at anything or know anything about anything in order to make any reasoned sense out of it.

Thus I put forth the question, IS THERE A REASON THAT THERE IS NO SUCH MACHINE ON THE MARKET. Is it impossible to manufacture in a proper pressure gauge? Are manual groups impossible to source? etc. . .
  • end of summer