This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM I-P

1111213141517»

Comments

• Thanks Frans that makes a lot of sense!

Also thank you for your superb blogs and youtube's on both the R120 & L1-P - they were definitive in making my mind up to both purchaces! - Thank you! :)
  • I just noticed that my boiler isn't refilling automatically. I am including a pic of the sight glass showing the water level. I opened the manual fill valve and water enters the boiler, so I know the water line is open and working. Any thoughts?

• Sorry to have posted the question before doing some basic testing. Being paranoid about electric surge issues, I had purchased a 240v surge protector. It turns out that the auto fill doesn't work with the 1-P plugged in, even though the surge protector is rated at higher voltage than the machine. I have removed the surge protector and all is well.
  • Sorry again. I meant that the surge suppressor was rated at higher wattage than the machine.
  • Hi John

Thanks for posting anyway as it is beneficial to other owners

I seem to remember it happened once before with an L1 and a kill-a-watt meter

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Probably a very obvious answer to this that I'm overlooking, on the L-1P when the machine is off pulling the lever still - obviously - dispenses water at line pressure, why then when the machine is off does the water tap not also dispense water at line pressure?

Just got me mystified thats all!

The R120 also arrived this week many thanks to - Dave ( CoffeeChap ) - so finally can get round to pulling some shots from the 1P :)

• I assume it's that the water tap comes from the boiler, not water line, and is powered by the pressure of the water in the boiler.
  • Thanks John - that makes sense! I assumed the group was fed from the boiler also with the line pressure into it
  • Simon MacFarlane post=10293 wrote: Thanks John - that makes sense! I assumed the group was fed from the boiler also with the line pressure into it

Group is fed from the big heat exchanger HX which passes right through the boiler but without an opening for water from the boiler going in or out the heat exchanger. Cold line pressure water enters the HX, is heated up snug inside the heavy HX wall within the boiler, to the thermosifon pipes into the group.
  • Thank you Frans!
  • hi simon

thanks for posting. in my opinion you have there the best espresso setup in the world, at any price. i would happily take that setup head to head in a shootout against any other grinder and machine pairing anyone wanted to serve up, including the £20K plus gear. synesso, slayer, kees, la marzocco, mahlkoenig

that R120 delivers an accuracy of taste that the magic box that is the EK43 simply can't do

by that i mean the taste from an R120 is instantly recognisable from what you experience on a lesser grinder, but just at a much higher level of fidelity. this means that the R120 is the grinder that every coffee roaster should have for proofing their roast profiles. if you use an EK43 the taste is wonderfully sweet and almost magical in that it tastes nothing like the coffee would from a conventional grinder, but it will get you into trouble with your customers as unless that all have EK43s it will taste nothing like what you think it tastes like. therefore the EK43 is patently unsuitable as a reference grinder

the Compak R120 is the finest reference grinder i have ever tried and i recommend it without reservation to other roasters. the bag shaker is a nice touch too for a roaster, and even at home it is cool to be able to grind some coffee for a friend who doesnt have a grinder at home and for the coffee to go into the bag, rather than building up at the mouth of the bag as a result of static and then flowing all over the place

what you have there is simply magnificent

p.s. the R120 will also highlight the slightest defect in the roast or the beans too, which is why it is my first choice as a reference grinder

my comments are made in the context of what we roast, which is light roasted single origin beans. for dark roasts a conical grinder might be preferable

reiss.
  • Thank you Reiss - they do seem a beautifully matched pairing :)
  • Beautiful setup Simon, enjoy it!

Regarding your question, if the machine is cold and you are getting cold water from the boiler at line pressure check if you closed the boiler manual fill valve.
    If you forgot to close it you are running the machine with a full boiler, you should dispense some water until the machine starts to fill automatically.

Line pressure should only pass through the Hx to the group, the boiler will only be filled automatically when needed.

Kfir.
  • Not only nice coffee gear, but a lovely painting of La Salute church in Venice

Matt
  • Great picture too!! I'm away from home a few weeks and seeing this L1-P / R120 set, I miss home ;-)

• is there a black silicone heat sleeve on your steam wand, or is it just lost in the gleaming sea of stainless?
  • Reiss Gunson post=10306 wrote: is there a black silicone heat sleeve on your steam wand, or is it just lost in the gleaming sea of stainless?

Never make any milk based drinks (sure you'll be pleased to hear that!!!) so removed it!
  • ok. i just wanted to check it arrived with it on. best reiss.
  • Well I finally got an afternoon free today to put the L1-P & the R120 'together' & start getting some shots out of it, been a manic last 10 days at work and the time I've been getting home no way were I about to start drinking coffee!!!

I've been using the R120 for brewed each morning and am very very impressed with it, but boy has it delivered this afternoon

Having had an R58 which I never managed to pull decent shots from - which I'm the first to admit that was me not the R58 at fault!

Went for a simple 16g in - 28g out in 27+ Pre infusion of around 6 seconds on Reiss's recommendation

I guesstimated a place to start & wow first shot was very nearly 'there' time wise but very drinkable all the same

Backed the grind off slightly and still nutated & tamped very lightly and BOOM! 6 second PI - 27second pour for 28g and mixed 4oz water with 1oz espresso for quite simply one of the best long blacks I've ever had!

Two shots from turning the machine on! I'm actually amazed!

& I'm most definitely a lever 'convert' and very very happy with both the L1-P & the R120 :)
  • hi simon

thank you for taking the time to report back

please keep in mind that my guideline is only that; a rule of thumb to get people started

you can mix it up in all sorts of ways, from ristretto to lungo, and in my view all of them have merit, it simply depends on your mood

if you are making long blacks be sure to put the hot water in first, then the espresso - not the other way around

kind regards

reiss