This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 with HG one

2»

Comments

• Frans,

Maybe just the video but it appears you've got a fair amount of run out in your chuck/bit. I battled the same with what I thought was a fairly decent Delta floor drill press ($1000USD; as much as I still think $1000 is a fair sum...in reality it doesn't seem to buy much in the real power tool department anymore). You probably already know this trick and it does seem to minimize the run out: Lube the Morse tapers to allow the chuck side to fully seat in to the drill head.

Carry on.

:lol:
  • Hi Dan!

Thanks for your comments. I am not very technical and I did not do any bit of the actual work here. What I did was measure and mark where exactly the drill should go. The technician in the metal factory (they have a nice size hall with tons of equipment and thousands and thousands of different metal tubes, bolts and other parts) did the rest.

He did let me unscrew the bolts that hold the vertical column/plate of the grinder as he didn't want to be the one to break those if they were too tight. And I fastened these again (less tight, just hand tight) after he was done.

So I have no real clue what you mean but the guy who did the drilling had access to all that stuff and he used a quite heavy machine to do the drilling after he found a way to hold the plate reasonably in place. I offered to hold it but he laughed that away and as he worked, and I saw the power involved, I understood.

Frans
  • Just to close this topic out, my problem was indeed too many drops of water on the beans before I'd grind. Now I use a small perfume sprayer with water and one spritz is all I need for No static and grind time of around 60 revolutions.

Chad
  • its nice to see people report back when advice given does resolve their issue

too often you never hear back once the issue has been resolved

also good to hear if the advice given didn't resolve the problem, but something else did

thank you chad

reiss.
  • what setting is everyone grinding at?

I have the original 83mm burrs, since february, and have gone from 1 1/4 or so turns at the start of ownership, down to 290 degrees currently.

I have a label that has 36 major ticks and 5 minor ticks between them, where zero is set at burrs touching, i find this makes it really easy to move between beans and get an idea of drift with temperature and age etc.

How does everyone determine the zero point, is it just a kiss of the burrs or is it when they start to feel a little bit or a lot of resistance, as this seems to be about a 1/4 turn in variation

cheers
    james
  • It all depends on what type of beans, how old the beans are from roast date and your own personal style of tamping.

I took off all reference points on my grinder since it was either a bit finer or a bit more coarse from a good pour/pull.