This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

IMS "The Single" Baskets

2»

Comments

• Stephen Sweeney post=4809 wrote: Mine is a 23.5h and it was listed in the IMS site as the LF 1460310, which it is not

I found an official dealer here in Amsterdam, talked to him on the 'phone but he was so new to this dealershp that he had not had any IMS baskets yet so I could tell him more about my IMS baskets than he knew. He will be ordering an LF 1460310 for me so I will see what I will get and when I will get it.
  • Excellent! I hope you get the 25.5h version.
  • Apologies if I have missed this, but how much coffee does 'the single' produce?

Does the user pull the lever in the normal way, wait for the coffee and then pull the cup away.... the normal method...

Or does the user look for the 'sweet spot', by letting the first part pour down the drain, then taking the midstream (as it were) and then pulling the cup away...

Or something else?

BTW: The only reference I can find to an 11-13gm 'The Single' is in that LF Parts PDF, I have been through thirty pages of IMS filters, and the nearest seemed to be a two cup basket of the same shape, that recommended 14gm?
  • A fair question, with two answers methinks

Traditionally all commercial spring lever groups were one pull of the lever per shot

ie a double basket meant 2 pulls of the lever, yielding two full espresso cups of coffee
    a single basket meant 1 pull of the lever

The second, alternative, answer would be that speciality coffee has brought us the concept of brew ratios, and in particular optimum brew ratios, and these are somewhat higher than those obtained under the traditional Italian approach described above

As a result we find ourselves using a double basket, often with an 18g dose of coffee, and just one pull of the lever. This is the the modern, intense style of single origin espresso that we like

So from that baseline it is reasonable to ask, do I need to pull the cup early?

My answer would be; start by taking the full 27g brew weight from one pull of the lever and see what you think of the lighter, more delicate taste

If you don't like it, then cut a ristretto by pulling the cup early when there is just 15g of espresso in your cup

Single baskets do work very well on the L1, but their shape has meant they are a bit of a pain to prep

The IMS 'the single' basket eliminates the hassle, hence my enthusiasm

Best

Reiss
  • Stephen, The Single operates like a standard basket with a considerable ease in tamping an 8g dose. I have not tried smaller doses yet with the 23.5h or the 21h heights, but I have been experimenting with the maximum doses for those 2 baskets where the puck does not contact the shower screen. It is a work in progress and since I am to cheap to throw away shots and can only drink just so much coffee :-)

I have been updating my mini4fun.info web page as this project progresses.

I have not been weighing the product in the cup but since we are talking about a "Single" and small doses I saw no point in it.

I personally pull the cup when the stream starts going blond.
  • Hello,
    Where do you get the IMS 1460310 in USA?
    Regards
    Martin
  • Martin, the basket you reference is the one that was sent to me and is a 23.5h. Apparently IMS is having difficulty in getting their labeling and cataloging to match what comes out of the factory.

The baskets I have received so far are from Espresso Parts Northwest and are not listed in their web site yet.

There is a crass military term that describes the hassle that I have had in getting the listed basket but I will refrain from using it :-)

So far I have a B70 1T h26.5 E, a B70 2T h26.5 M, an LF# 1460301 h21 "The Single", and a LF# 1460310 h23.5 "The Single" (at least that is what I was told the LF# was for that basket that is not listed in the IMS web page.) 4 baskets and not the one they list that I wanted in the first place!

I still have 2 Shower Screens to test that are just sitting here waiting for me to get motivated.
  • I just received my IMS "The Single":

[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]104915496
  • Nice video once again Frans! That is the deepest "The Single" that I have received to date.

With that 11g dose was the puck contacting the Shower Screen? Which Shower Screen are/were you using and what Group Seal Gasket are you using?

A thicker Group Seal Gasket means you might be able to get a wee bit more grounds into a basket without Shower Screen contact. And then there are the Shower Screens themselves that might not be the same height which would have affect on whether the puck touches it or not.

I have 4 different Shower Screens here and they are all slightly different, not much but with the naked eye it is noticeable.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4897 wrote: Nice video once again Frans!

Thanks Stepen!
    Stephen Sweeney post=4897 wrote: With that 11g dose was the puck contacting the Shower Screen?

Have not checked. In the end when I took off the portafilter there was an impression of the screen on the swollen puck but I did not 'try' test it.

[quote=Stephen Sweeney post=4897Which Shower Screen are/were you using and what Group Seal Gasket are you using?/quote]

Shower screen: IMS E61 200 IM

I don't know which rubber ring around it, just a generic replacement for this screen, either from Reiss or from Peter at www.kafko.nl
  • The dry testing is what I have been doing. I figured that if the grounds are touching the puck before the lever is pulled then the puck is being compacted upon lock in and the grounds are really being sucked into the chamber through the screen and disrupting thing even more. What do you think?
  • I do not worry about that. Unless one has tamped the puck absolutely shut, a little air is sucked in through the puck when the lever is lowered and then very soon the water is flowing in. And if the puck it tamped to rock solidity, it will lift off for a brief moment before the water flows in and spushes it back into place.

In the unlikely event that particles could be 'breathed in' towards the piston, the fine mesh of this IMS filter would prevent these from doing more than just clinging to the screen.
  • Frans, are you using the 200um screen?
  • Yes that's the one currently in. I also have the 35 but I will try that one when the other seems worn out.
  • i finally got around to getting some IMS 'The Single' baskets today

the fact that you don't have to change the grind setting and you can tamp with the same tamper wins the day for me

Stephen in terms of the nomenclature perplexities you refer to above i have been pondering this and think i have an explanation

It is my hypothesis that the person at IMS who keyed '25.5mm' for the basket height of basket model 1460310 on the IMS website actually misread a '3' as a '5', probably from a handwritten scribble on a piece of paper

the plastic bag i show in the top image is an IMS bag with an IMS factory label i believe

as you can see they are clearly labelled as model 1460310, being rated at 12g (right in the middle of the 11-13g range given on the IMS website table) - only the basket height is at odds - 23.5mm per the product labelling versus 25.5mm on the web table

i could be wrong, but i think that is the most likely explanation

i like a 10g dose to get a ristretto with a brew weight of 10g

the ristretto renaissance is here

i would really recommend this product

no we won't be offering them

yes i paid the full commercial rate for these baskets - i have not received any inducements from IMS or anyone else - i simply think this is a product that revolutionises ristretto by removing the traditional barriers; having to change the grind & needing a smaller tamper

reiss.
  • Reiss, I believe you are correct about the nomenclature and someone misreading the pencil scratchings of another person.

So you are putting 10g into it, any shower screen disruption before the Lever is pulled?

You are also correct about the tamper and grinder settings not needing changing. What a good idea this was and I can see IMS expanding the line a bit if they wanted to do so to actually make a 25.5h basket. Maybe if enough of us hounded the Distributors for such a basket we might actually get one?!? :-)
  • in the image you can see i put 12g into it, but i think 10g would just give a little more headspace, not that i think it has any significantly detrimental effect on the taste in the cup

i believe it was a barista in the States, perhaps even Seattle, that approached them about it, but yes it is an excellent development

the key is to train your eye as to when your cup has just 10g of espresso in it - sit your cup on pocket scales if you want to be precise about it, but after you have used scales a couple of times on your favourite cup you should be able to eyeball it fairly accurately

the temptation is to let it run too long, which kills all the magic - cut it short and taste the sophistication
  • Thanks for the tip :-) I had not read the scale to notice the 12g dose.

How hard did you tamp it to get the headspace shown?
  • update. having run a few more shots on this basket, the following works for me;

12g dose - i prefer the intensity, its quite incredible

a conventional (firm) tamp as you would for a pump machine

the trick is to bring the lever down very slowly to the point where you can hear the water rush past the piston seals into the brew chamber - you want to raise the piston just enough so the water can be allowed into the brew chamber very slowly so the surge does not dislodge the small 12g dose in the flat, dish like portafilter basket

if you pull the lever straight down as you might for a double basket you will most likely see the force of the water dislodge the coffee and blast straight through

a 2 second (1000, 2000) pre-infusion once you have the lever right down, then release the lever

7g brew weight, achieved by pulling the cup from the stream at around 12 seconds after it starts to flow

a brew weight of 10g is too long with a 10g dose, to my taste

the above ristretto gives you something very intense, and the pleasure actually grows 5, 10, 15, even 20 minutes later because the small volume does not over power your taste buds

please do try it as i think you will be pleasantly surprised - pump machines can't really do a proper ristretto like this

with your LONDINIUM lever machine you have in your kitchen the proper, traditional italian technology to experience the quintessentially italian experience that is the ristretto. please do take the time to try it. i think your efforts will be rewarded. i look forward to hearing of your experiences

kind regards

reiss
  • I tried the 10 and 10 and found it very pleasant!

Reiss, maybe the discussion of "The Single" baskets should be collected from this Thread and put into a Thread for "The Single" basket alone?!?
  • I thought starting a Thread with a focus on this particular style basket was warranted because of it's unique nature.

As Reiss has pointed out these baskets use the same tamper as you might use on a standard 58mm basket. I have used standard flat tampers that fit properly and a Euro Curved tamper and they both work well

10g dose with 10g shot.

YUM!

The blend of beans is "Malabar Gold", roasted to FC to FC+
  • sorry stephen, as you point out the new thread is needed so let me have a crack at it now. done.
  • Well done Reiss! Now there is a group of Posts related to "The Single". making it much easier to investigate.
  • Has anyone compared the ease of use and taste in the cup between a euro curved and a flat tamper yet? I am trying to figure out if I need a curved tamper only for the single basket and normally would tend to use a flat one to mimic the shower screen's profile. On the other hand tamping against the inner metal rim is no fun, especially early in the morning.

Cheers,
    Nico