This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

IMS "The Single" Baskets

There also exist a new single shot basket by IMS: The Single. Anyone tried this one on the L1

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/the-single-1-cup-9-5gr-cup-filter-by-ims.html

Comments

• Thanks for Posting that Alexander. That sure looks different than any other single basket I have seen and it looks like tamping it might be a lot easier with a Euro Curved tamper.
  • Alexander Seyfried post=4329 wrote: There also exist a new single shot basket by IMS: The Single. Anyone tried this one on the L1

hi alex

thanks for posting as i didn't realise that these are available at BB

this is the basket that frans was referring to in the other thread - http://londiniumespresso.com/forum/londinium-i-owners-forum/291-adjustable-restriktor/page-3#4311

best

reiss
  • Alexander Seyfried post=4328 wrote: J.J. the single shot filter basket on your pictures. Is it the IMS Filter basket or is it a LM Filter basket?

LM basket
  • JJ what do you think about the LM1 basket in combination with the L1?
  • Reiss Gunson post=4334 wrote: [quote=Alexander Seyfried post=4329]There also exist a new single shot basket by IMS: The Single. Anyone tried this one on the L1

hi alex

this is the basket that frans was referring to in the other thread - http://londiniumespresso.com/forum/londinium-i-owners-forum/291-adjustable-restriktor/page-3#4311

best

reiss

I could not find this "Single One Cup" basket listed in the IMS web site. I probably was looking in the wrong section? Espresso Parts NW could not find it either.
  • Alexander Seyfried post=4342 wrote: JJ what do you think about the LM1 basket in combination with the L1?

It works. The shape works much better than the usual single basket. It allows to do an efficient tamping with a tamper for singles. It's weird to tamp a regular single basket with a 58mm tamper... I feel that something is not right... I also have an Strada basket, which have the same shape but with precision holes. Take a look at the VST bakets too, I'm sure it must be do a nice work.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4344 wrote: [quote=Reiss Gunson post=4334][quote=Alexander Seyfried post=4329]There also exist a new single shot basket by IMS: The Single. Anyone tried this one on the L1

hi alex

best

reiss

I could not find this "Single One Cup" basket listed in the IMS web site. I probably was looking in the wrong section? Espresso Parts NW could not find it either.

they don't have it up yet stephen. i have no doubt it will appear after the summer holidays. reiss.
  • Well my persistence paid off and EPNW called me back and has a B70 2T and a B70 1T headed my way.

They could not find that Bella Barista "Single One Cup" IMS basket that has the distinctly unusual shape (shallow dish).

The IMS Sales Rep sent me an email last night so today I will contact him about that basket as well as the B68.
  • I received the B70 1T h26.5 E and the B70 2T h26.5 M baskets.

I do not care for the single but the double (2T) is pretty nice even if it is not visually made very well and does not feel as robust as the VST baskets or the OEM baskets. It is pretty thin walled. It dumps the puck very easily, a real plus in my view.

I have one of these headed my way and one other on order. I tried many ways to attach or insert a .pdf but could not figure it out, so here is the text of it.

exclusivityPremiering for the first time in the market!
    The Single 1 cup filter

The Single is a single filter for professional espresso coffee machines,
    revolutionary in terms of shape and performance, which allows a uniform,
    rich and balanced coffee extraction. Born as an alternative for those who love
    the taste and characteristics of a double extraction, but with only half the

NEW!
    quantity of coffee.
    The Single, one cup filter The Single is available for:
    Nuova Simonelli, Faema, Rancilio, La Spaziale, La Cimbali, Synesso, • The first and only that produces a compact coffee puck
    Marzocco • No need for a separate coffee grinder-doser setting

• Innovative shape
    • Round precision holes

External shape of the filter External shape of the filter
    Internal filter shape

Exclusive shape, absolutely new in the market.
    No gaps, for a homogeneous extraction.
    Maximum use of the coffee puck, which remains intact
    and compact.
    The filter is left cleaner than with regular filters.

Different heights

The heights are directly proportional to the quantity of coffee
    contained by The Single. This allows a perfect combination
    between the settings of double filter (i.e. 18 g) and
    The Single (i.e. 9 g), but using the same settings; it also requires
    no extra coffee (as it normally happens in a classic
    one-cup filter), keeping the same taste profile*.

Half-moon shape, with central holes.
    It balances the extraction speed, making it similar to the
    double filter, without modifying your grinder’s settings or
    adding extra coffee.

Round precision holes

Linear extraction, no risk of over-extraction and
    channeling.

* taste profile: what you need to expect from The Single‘s
    extraction, compared to the double, is a single espresso with
    a more balanced taste, slightly less rich, but with a long-lasting
    and very delicate aftertaste.
    The Single is available for:

Nuova Simonelli - Faema - Rancilio Synesso - Marzocco

LF Nr. gr. h.

7,5 gr

19,5 mm

1460301 9 - 10 gr 21 mm

7,5 - 8,5

21,5 mm

1460309 8,5 - 10 22,5 mm
    LF Nr. gr. h.
    1460302 11,5 - 12,5 gr 22,5 mm 1460310 11 - 13 25,5 mm
    The sizes are different and vary according to the group screens of your machine The sizes are different and vary according to the group screens of your machine
    La Spaziale La Cimbali

LF Nr. gr. h.

7,5 gr

22,5 mm

1460304 10 gr 24,5 mm

7,5 gr

20,5 mm

1460306 8,5 gr 21,5 mm
    LF Nr. gr. h.
    1460307 10 - 11 gr 23 mm

LF SpA • via Voltri, 80 – 47522 Cesena (FC)
    Export Dept.: Tel. +39 0547 34 11 50 • Fax: +39 0547 34 11 55 • www.lfspareparts724.com • [email protected]

LF3DE80

exclusivityPremiering for the first time in the market!
    The Single 1 cup filter

The Single is a single filter for professional espresso coffee machines,
    revolutionary in terms of shape and performance, which allows a uniform,
    rich and balanced coffee extraction. Born as an alternative for those who love
    the taste and characteristics of a double extraction, but with only half the

NEW!
    quantity of coffee.
    The Single, one cup filter The Single is available for:
    Nuova Simonelli, Faema, Rancilio, La Spaziale, La Cimbali, Synesso, • The first and only that produces a compact coffee puck
    Marzocco • No need for a separate coffee grinder-doser setting

• Innovative shape
    • Round precision holes

External shape of the filter External shape of the filter
    Internal filter shape

Exclusive shape, absolutely new in the market.
    No gaps, for a homogeneous extraction.
    Maximum use of the coffee puck, which remains intact
    and compact.
    The filter is left cleaner than with regular filters.

Different heights

The heights are directly proportional to the quantity of coffee
    contained by The Single. This allows a perfect combination
    between the settings of double filter (i.e. 18 g) and
    The Single (i.e. 9 g), but using the same settings; it also requires
    no extra coffee (as it normally happens in a classic
    one-cup filter), keeping the same taste profile*.

Half-moon shape, with central holes.
    It balances the extraction speed, making it similar to the
    double filter, without modifying your grinder’s settings or
    adding extra coffee.

Round precision holes

Linear extraction, no risk of over-extraction and
    channeling.

* taste profile: what you need to expect from The Single‘s
    extraction, compared to the double, is a single espresso with
    a more balanced taste, slightly less rich, but with a long-lasting
    and very delicate aftertaste.
    The Single is available for:

Nuova Simonelli - Faema - Rancilio Synesso - Marzocco

LF Nr. gr. h.

7,5 gr

19,5 mm

1460301 9 - 10 gr 21 mm

7,5 - 8,5

21,5 mm

1460309 8,5 - 10 22,5 mm
    LF Nr. gr. h.
    1460302 11,5 - 12,5 gr 22,5 mm 1460310 11 - 13 25,5 mm
    The sizes are different and vary according to the group screens of your machine The sizes are different and vary according to the group screens of your machine
    La Spaziale La Cimbali

LF Nr. gr. h.

7,5 gr

22,5 mm

1460304 10 gr 24,5 mm

7,5 gr

20,5 mm

1460306 8,5 gr 21,5 mm
    LF Nr. gr. h.
    1460307 10 - 11 gr 23 mm

LF SpA • via Voltri, 80 – 47522 Cesena (FC)
    Export Dept.: Tel. +39 0547 34 11 50 • Fax: +39 0547 34 11 55 • www.lfspareparts724.com • [email protected]

LF3DE80

I wish I could add the pdf. When they show up on my door I will photograph them and include in an editing of this Post.
  • J.J. Cisneros post=4349 wrote: [quote=Alexander Seyfried post=4342]JJ what do you think about the LM1 basket in combination with the L1?

It works. The shape works much better than the usual single basket. It allows to do an efficient tamping with a tamper for singles. It's weird to tamp a regular single basket with a 58mm tamper... I feel that something is not right... I also have an Strada basket, which have the same shape but with precision holes. Take a look at the VST bakets too, I'm sure it must be do a nice work.

I am using a VST 7g basket, dosing ~8,5g, 40.7 mm tamper and I have a special funnel from Tidaka:

This is an old video I took more than a year ago when I tested the L1 temperature stability:

Kfir.
  • i'm liking the look of that Tidaka gear. thanks for posting Kfir.
  • I'm also using a VST LM 1T basket in combination with the small tidika funnel and a 41mm Tamper. With the two machines before I found it was the best solution for a single shot. With the L1 I haven't tried anything else till now. But maybe I also will give one of these IMS baskets a try. So I'm looking very interested on this basket discussions.
  • Thank you Kfir for Posting that, it has given me a new challenge to master the single basket rather than just give up!

The Tidaka gear is also a great looking, well engineered product. I must investigate :-) I apparently need to translate from German? or does Tidaka have a english web site?
  • This is the only way to get a decent single shot out of a small dose, it served me well also on my previous machines...

Use Google translate, you can send an email as well.

They used to carry Armaflex sheets too, if you still need one ask them about it.

Kfir.
  • Well, I tried the IMS LF 1460301 "The Single" which is a B70 with a 21mm height. Not deep enough to keep the grounds off the Shower Screen when inserting the PF into the Group. It is listed as a 9.5g basket, IMS lists it as a 9-10g. I tried 8.5g, 7.5g and 7g. At 7g the grounds just barely touched the Shower Screen.

I have the IMS LF 1460310 on order and it has a 25.5mm depth and should clear the Shower Screen when loaded. It is listed as an 11-13g basket but I am hoping to dose it much lower so it clears the Shower Screen with 8.5g dose. Time will tell :-)

Attached files

• from what i can garner, the 'point' of The Single is that you do not have to alter your grind from what you are using on an 18g IMS double basket. interested to know your thoughts on that Stephen
  • Reiss Gunson post=4436 wrote: from what i can garner, the 'point' of The Single is that you do not have to alter your grind from what you are using on an 18g IMS double basket. interested to know your thoughts on that Stephen

Reiss, that is true, the B702Th26.5M AND "The Single" use the same diameter tamper and the same grinder setting with both the HG-One and the Kony-E. I was a bit surprised by that but disappointed by the grounds touching the Shower Screen, even when under dosed significantly. I am hoping that the version of "The Single" that is listed as an 11-13g and is a 25.5H for the LaMarzocco machine will solve that issue. Stay tuned.

Nice basket though and the pours are good and there sure is less messing around with the cleaning and dumping the puck like the traditional style basket.

• At Barista Nation L.A., Unic was showing a new single basket that was almost a bowl bottom, that they said was a solution for singles without having to adjust grind. I wonder this this is the same basket?
  • See if it is the h25.5 so you don't get the puck hitting the Shower Screen. I got EPNW to take a cell phone photo of it before they sent it to me and the rim of the basket has the information. And you might ask if it is labeled "The Single".
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4437 wrote: [quote=Reiss Gunson post=4436]from what i can garner, the 'point' of The Single is that you do not have to alter your grind from what you are using on an 18g IMS double basket. interested to know your thoughts on that Stephen

Reiss, that is true, the B702Th26.5M AND "The Single" use the same diameter tamper and the same grinder setting with both the HG-One and the Kony-E. I was a bit surprised by that but disappointed by the grounds touching the Shower Screen, even when under dosed significantly. I am hoping that the version of "The Single" that is listed as an 11-13g and is a 25.5H for the LaMarzocco machine will solve that issue. Stay tuned.

Nice basket though and the pours are good and there sure is less messing around with the cleaning and dumping the puck like the traditional style basket.

This group needs deeper baskets than for the E61 groups. The VST baskets don't work exactly as it should be and it works more like a LM group with the strada baskets. I mean, the VST baskets are 15, 18, 22. But the precision baskets for LM are 14, 17, 21. It needs to be a little underdosed. Same for the L1 group.
  • An IMS rep sent me the address of a business here in Amsterdam that sells IMS baskets & filters so I will contact them to see if I can pick up one of the "The Single" baskets to try out. It it works out, I will post the full name & contact info here.

She also sent me PDF:

http://www.kostverlorenvaart.nl/temp/koffie/ims/Precision-filters_showers.pdf
  • George Van Wagner post=4449 wrote:

At Barista Nation L.A., Unic was showing a new single basket that was almost a bowl bottom, that they said was a solution for singles without having to adjust grind. I wonder this this is the same basket?

George! That sure looks like "The Single", how does it work for you?
  • hey stephen, has your 25.5mm (depth) version of this arrived yet? interested to hear your thoughts.
  • Funny you should ask, it showed up in the mail 2 days ago and I have been testing it.

I am not sure where all these numbers that IMS uses are coming from but this basket that was sent doers not seem to be any of them, but it works! It is deep enough to not compress grounds against the screen

The extraction rate of flow is comparable to the larger baskets and it is pretty easy to tamp. I have been using a curved tamper so far with an 8g dose. I have tried 9.5g doses but they are starting to compress the puck against the shower screen.

The Competition and "The Single" baskets are different series of baskets and are not listed together nor is their nomenclature the same.

I really feel that the OEM baskets are a good choice for the ranges of dosing that they offer. The VST and the IMS in those ranges do not provide any advantage from my point of view. So far I have quite the stack of baskets that will make a nice wind chime someday :-)

BTW, how can I attach a PDF file?
  • hi stephen
    pdfs attach beautifully, just the same as any other file, but there is a file size limit, which if you exceed you will not be able to attach the file
    kelsey probably knows what the limit if & if it can be raised so i will ping him on Skype now, but i wouldn't expect an answer until tomorrow
    really interested to hear your thoughts on how the basket performs on the L1, as my expectation is it will fit like hand in glove - i think it is a product the should renew a lot of interest in single shot dosing as it works so beautifully on a lever machine
    best
    reiss.
  • I find it easiest to just refer to a PDF that's somewhere else, like

http://www.kostverlorenvaart.nl/temp/koffie/ims/Precision-filters_showers.pdf

PDF's can easy be huge without most people noticing it and then others will wonder why it loads slow or how come it does not display well in a forum message page.
  • The file I was trying to attach was a 451K stand alone pdf. If I had it in a web page then it would be easy as Reiss has said but I was sent a file from Espresso Parts Northwest or the IMS Distributor in Seattle that were just attached to emails.

The B70 series of baskets are more traditional in their shapes. "The Single" series of baskets are bowl shaped and do indeed make using a standard tamper, especially a curved standard tamper, easy to use. The also seem to have the similar diameters as the B70 series but of the 2 that I have already tried that were not deep enough and they were not exactly the same diameter. I needed to use tamper that fits the OEM Londinium baskets. I made a tamper to fit the B70 2T basket I purchased but it is a bit tight for "The Single"series.

I am trying to get the 25.5h depth "The Single" basket for one last try since the 23.5h only seems to allow for an 8g dose, which is not a bad thing but just does not allow for updosing the small bowl baskets.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=4806 wrote: The file I was trying to attach was a 451K stand alone pdf.

If you mail it to me, I can post it.
  • Thanks Frans. You will note that the basket that I was sent does not match any of the ones listed! Mine is a 23.5h and it was listed in the IMS site as the LF 1460310, which it is not, or possibly the LF site is listing the 25.5 incorrectly and should be listed as a 23.5h.

EPNW is working on it and I will report back ASAP.