This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Stephen Sweeney's TPF - a Transparent PortaFilter

13»

Comments

• Yes, I *think* the O ring widens under pressure and then slips to the outside of the TPF, still making a good seal but allowing the TPF to slip a notch lower in the naked PF
  • thats a nice, & useful, blog post frans. i look forward to part II. r.
  • Tije's new TPF works very well! I tried it on the Rocket today. Hopefully next week I will visit Tije's workshop again to turn a L1 portafilter into a wide 'naked' one so the TPF will fit in that one as well.

The first series of extractions seems to illustrate that on an E61 brew goup at least it pays off to tamp firmly.

[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]101731383
  • This one mainly for fun, also trying out a new lens to film the transparent basket up close, and a new LED light to help get clear video shots.

I used Sugru, a clever colorful putty, to 'repair' the broken TPF and sure enough it popped open with a splash.

Still, I like the swelling of the puck at the end. Will try to get better footage of that with the new transparent device.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]JqVY4t6PW48
  • A new clip.

1) the "puck jump" observed in a much earlier session is gone. A tamper that fiste easier and a gentle tamp.

2) the Fellini move does not disrupt the puck, but with the extra pressure one needs to lock in the portafilter better than I did.

[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]102283269
  • A light tamp, but what also seems interesting is the length of time 'full' pre-infusion takes!
  • EDIT: I had read too quickly and assumed you meant the time it takes from first pull on the lever until the last drop falls from the brew group.
  • frans i think mark was just saying he was surprised (as in, he found it informative) to see how long it took for pre-infusion to saturate the puck. i am fairly sure he was thanking you for your efforts
  • Thanks, my eyes had dashed across the words too fast and I thought it was about the full pull-till-last-drop time.

Yes, I think the pre-infusion is nice to see happening.

The puck changes in behaviour in phases:

1) dry grinds tamped: a semi-hard vulnerable pack

2) pre-infusion: getting soaked, preferably gently

3) wet puck no pressure: a flexible lush body, particles floating around above it

4) pressure changes: puck compacts and expands but keeps a very good seal around and below! Also during Fellini

5) water level falls, pressure falls, puck dries and air bubble escape sometimes suggesting the puck was damaged but it is not damaged during the active flexible-body phase
  • Reiss Gunson post=4596 wrote: frans i think mark was just saying he was surprised (as in, he found it informative) to see how long it took for pre-infusion to saturate the puck. i am fairly sure he was thanking you for your efforts

Sorry if I was not clear - Reiss hit it on the head!

I meant it was about 6-8 seconds before the puck was fully saturated... Very Interesting!
  • Mr Elvis Hsiao from Taiwan is pushing on the cutting edge of this field:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2014/08/elvis-hsao-doing-heroic-work-on.html