This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Stephen Sweeney's TPF - a Transparent PortaFilter

Comments

• Possibly so!

I'd prefer to do a lot of tests to confirm this. If I could then make the puck jump or stay at will, by tamping in the "right" or "wrong" way, we would know more but alas, this TPF has officially retired from service now ;-)
  • I will be working on a different way of doing the transparent PF using a naked PF as the base.
  • Others are working on these too:

http://bwissue.com/xe/45053

[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]97115371
  • They made a metal PF with ears! Very ambitious person B)
  • Do you think the ears were applied or part of the machine process from a solid block of acrylic, or is it glass?
  • I have no idea really. I could get in touch with the maker about it but it would seem to him I am a potential customer or someone fishing for free information and I am neither.

But I do get the impression that the 15.000+ views of the clips about your TPF has triggered a number of people to give it a shot too!
  • Do NOT rock the boat. I was just curious for obvious reasons :-)
  • Hi Frans and Stephen...

Did you notice that Stephen gets a name check on the first URL that you post Frans?

http://bwissue.com/xe/45053

Translated...

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ko&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://bwissue.com/xe/45053&edit-text=

Actually, this can't be real....

No....
  • Ah yes!

해외 유저(Stephen Sweeney)의 투명 포터필

Domestic manufacturer of home espresso machines Ilo -Ilo Bang Bang conducted in the past day user meeting ( location : NY Coffee outlets Viewer) is currently under development and testing have revealed clear basket mount system .

Recently been published on the Internet received the attention of many coffee lovers overseas users (Stephen Sweeney) Porter transparent Viewer filtration systems -built version of the domestic espresso extraction from existing research on the use that has been developed for the purpose of mass production of transparent portafilter system have expectations for that product.
  • Someone was not reading everything that I said about it. I WILL NEVER BUILD ANOTHER ONE as I do not own the tools to do what I would like to do. Other people can do a much better job, as demonstrated by the examples shown.

I never planned to mass produce them, and in reality I do not mass produce anything! Everything I make is a one off and the only thing that is produced in mass is the mess and the bills. What I do barely pays for the materials and it certainly does not pay for my time.

Whatever language that was in really needs to do their homework. I was never contacted about it by them. If they, or anyone else, wants to mass produce those things then have fun and make a ton of money but leave me out of it :-)
  • Frans: I edited my earlier Post about contacting the manufacturer of that thing as I meant to say "Do NOT rock the boat". My mistake; I certainly do not want you to get in the middle of something that is not what it appears.
  • Yes I understood it that way too, not to rock any boats. I would not be of any help to those manufacturers but as I said before, your TPF has impressed many viewers and inspired some of them to try their best on it.

The first TPF clip: 12.400 views by now
    The second: 4.300 views
    That's almost 17.000 ;-)

The 3rd: 413
    Another one I made alone: 62 ;-)
  • Thanks Frans :-)

As to number of views, wait until version 2 arrives on your desk. A much more simple device, if it works properly for you.

A fun project but in no way would I ever want to manufacture them in mass.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=3876 wrote: Thanks Frans :-)

As to number of views, wait until version 2 arrives on your desk. A much more simple device, if it works properly for you.

Swivels on large leather chair, and strokes white cat....

:)
  • Stephen Jenner post=3877 wrote: [quote=Stephen Sweeney post=3876]Thanks Frans :-)

Swivels on large leather chair, and strokes white cat....

:)

S:

That is pretty funny! My large leather chair does not swivel, nor do I own a cat, but the image of Hans Bloufeld with the pinky ring is not close, just funny. I am more like Yosemite Sam trying in vein to catch the rabbit!

Thanks for that image, I will have to go out into the workshop and try to take my mind off of it :-)

S.
  • Others tmake them too now:

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]F3G1tEXU_S4
  • I'll bet it is with a standard pump machine and not a Lever; justa guess...
  • Tije also cut a TPF out of a solid block of acrylic (with a metal ring at the top)

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]8DB_9wXv0XI
  • Frans Goddijn post=4099 wrote: Tije also cut a TPF out of a solid block of acrylic (with a metal ring at the top)

Hi Frans...

Do you think that effect at the end is something like the suction that occurs at the end of using the steam arm?

Or is something else going on there?

[BTW Frans, I am still reading everything that I can find on roasting, I enjoyed our little session very much, The ooffee was great. Many thanks.]
  • I enjoyed our little coffee summit as well!
    Stephen Jenner post=4101 wrote: Do you think that effect at the end is something like the suction that occurs at the end of using the steam arm?

I don't think steam is involved here.

It might be that the normal gas, any air already there and CO2 created during extraction is finding a way out when the pressure drops. There's no suction, just less pressure.

In the beginning, there is a change in pressure as the lever is raised a few times and air could be sucked into the puck then, but the puck remains beautifully intact.

Apparently the puck is not something that easily 'breaks' as some think, it's more like a substance of elasticity during the extraction, able to expand and compact while keeping its perfect 'fit' in the basket.

And looking at a dry puck after the extraction and seeing little holes, could indicate there was some eruption way after the coffee was made, not necessarily any sign of "channeling" at all.
  • Frans Goddijn post=4099 wrote: Tije also cut a TPF out of a solid block of acrylic (with a metal ring at the top)

hi frans,

this is a most interesting video and is your best one ever at illustrating that there is no 'puck' when the shot is in progress, but simply grounds of coffee going with the flow you might say.

so if the water is being forced downward by the piston then the coffee grounds are held down, but if the piston rises a second time the water ceases to travel in a downward direction, but instead just 'sits' there and so you see the grounds 'flutter' slightly as they are no longer pushed downward by the downward flow of the water

second, i would be most interested to see another 20 seconds at the end of this clip if it exists, as i am guessing that the water above the grounds is absorbed by the grounds, which results in a puck being formed and as this occurs the air is sucked in through the bottom of the PF basket as the temperature inside the puck drops dramatically, creating a corresponding drop in pressure, which is what sucks the air in

thank you again for this super clip frans

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss!

We will have to make another clip or two. Tije has disassembled the TPF and is assembling it again, hoping the glue holds better then.
    Reiss Gunson post=4104 wrote:
    second, i would be most interested to see another 20 seconds at the end of this clip if it exists, as i am guessing that the water above the grounds is absorbed by the grounds, which results in a puck being formed and as this occurs the air is sucked in through the bottom of the PF basket as the temperature inside the puck drops dramatically, creating a corresponding drop in pressure, which is what sucks the air in

I guess that in the end, the last remaning air compressed inside the group slowly expands and pushes the last drops out, delivering a 'dry' puck, but hopefully more video will show more too.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=3943 wrote: I'll bet it is with a standard pump machine and not a Lever; justa guess...

yes, you can see the effect of the pump being switched off at the end - the suck back of air up through the coffee grounds
  • In the earlier clip of Tije making the nylon 'puck' I forgot to include the footage of him drilling holes, so I made a second version includign these:

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]MHzNXLEaf20
  • have not nailed the right use & dose & grind for the TPF2 yet:

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]x5lhQvmHqgU
  • Is TPF2 the one I sent you with th "O"ring? I did not have the trouble of it clicking into place when I used it on my naked PF.

S.