This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Is the beep/alarm supposed to sound while heating?

2»

Comments

• Kill-A-Watt has a limited power capability and with both those items plugged into it at the same time it might exceed it's limits.
  • It claims to handle up to 1875va which should be plenty for the heater element with room to spare for the grinder, since, if my rusty electrical theory is coming back correctly, volt/ampere is roughly equivalent to usable wattage (RMS rather than absolute values).
  • So what does your grinder, under load, draw all by itself? With start up surge.

ps: why do you want a Kill-A-Watt on the L-I??

What is your line voltage with no load?
  • That's just brilliant! Finally a serious issue and turns out it's not even a Londinium issue ;-) just the controller alerting you that there is not enough power for the work to be done.

I have a modern meter like that, has been on for 3 months now (no beeping ever!) and turns out the LONDINIUM takes less than one Euro per day, average, and it's on most of the working days. 80 Euro for 90 days.

• Line voltage with no load runs between 119 and 120v. Gaggia MD 85 has a half-horsepower motor, so ~600 watts at running, probably 1000-1200 watts for start up. But it runs for less than 3 seconds to grind and I generally am not grinding while the heater is active on the espresso machine (either with the L1 or with my old Ellimatic, which was also a 1400w element).

I run the Kill-a-Watt to monitor total electrical usage for espresso setup. Helps me to track what I'm spending on my "hobby."
  • George Van Wagner post=2870 wrote: I run the Kill-a-Watt to monitor total electrical usage for espresso setup. Helps me to track what I'm spending on my "hobby."

My conclusion so far is that the electricity cost is negigible. For the price of one fancy coffee outdoors I can have the LONDINIUM running all week.
  • I think I once figured out that my Ellimatic, if I left it on 24/7, would cost me about as much as leaving a 60 watt incandescent bulb on 24/7. Once the L1 is up to pressure, I'm getting the heater cycling for 5-7 seconds roughly ever 75 seconds, Which is roughly $0.85/day a the peak rate oft $0.37/kwh (figuring at worst case scenario).
  • George Van Wagner post=2870 wrote: Line voltage with no load runs between 119 and 120v. Gaggia MD 85 has a half-horsepower motor, so ~600 watts at running, probably 1000-1200 watts for start up. But it runs for less than 3 seconds to grind and I generally am not grinding while the heater is active on the espresso machine (either with the L1 or with my old Ellimatic, which was also a 1400w element).

I run the Kill-a-Watt to monitor total electrical usage for espresso setup. Helps me to track what I'm spending on my "hobby."
    So, adding those numbers you are using 21.8 amps on that circuit. Yes, a brief load for the grinder but a load none the less.

What is your L-I drawing on it's heating cycle all by itself???

Using "Rated" loads on any appliance is not an accurate way to judge power usage.
  • It's a 20 amp circuit, but I still don't turn everything on at the same time.

Hard to measure the L1's draw when the tool to measure it is what seems to be causing the problem. I would say, judging from what the Ellimatic drew, between 1400 and 1450 watts when the heater is on.

Seeing as the previous machine and grinder were running in exactly the same configuration for the past year with no issues (and for a year+ in our previous apartment), I'm not sure what we're trying to establish here. I know full well that if I were to hit the timer switch on the grinder while the espresso machine is in a heater cycle I might trip the breaker, so I don't do it.
  • George Van Wagner post=2874 wrote: Hard to measure the L1's draw when the tool to measure it is what seems to be causing the problem.

Absolutely right. Kill the kill-a-watt, take it and throw it away now, it has caused enough people (bunch of users, producer, two manufacturers) to guess their way out of something they had no way of guessing ;-)
  • hi george

thank you for posting - some people just disappear when they solve the issue and we never hear from them again

i have a similar device that i did run my L1 through for a while in order to provide answers to prospective customer's questions and you will find the post in a previous blog entry, here

i can't remember the rating off the top of my head, but i am sure you will have ready access to similar products in the States too

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=2876 wrote: hi george

thank you for posting - some people just disappear when they solve the issue and we never hear from them again

Oh, you're not getting rid of me that easily. :ohmy: