This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Toasted espresso, toasted blend

im quickly scribbling in an entry here

toasted are an auckland, nz roaster and they sell a blend called 'toasted' which i purchased from their web store

two weeks post roast and i think it is a wonderful roast

i run it with the 18-20G IMS basket that we sell, 18g dose, pre-infusion of 2.5 bar, using the Compak E5

it has consistently improved as it has aged, confirming my long held believe that 2 weeks post roast is the optimum for many roasts

i have long been a fan of high quality papua new guinean coffee, it is a lot more refined than a sumatran coffee in my experience - you don't get the decaying jungle floor taste

i grind it so that the flow is relatively quick - i didn't measure it but it would be slightly faster than 1g/s delivery rate

this is not a modern extreme taste single origin coffee, but it is not a poor excuse for a blend either

i am very impressed with this coffee and i will buy another kilo when i get through my current reserves

i recommend that you try this coffee, perhaps even if you are outside of NZ and have to pay a bit to get it delivered to you

as always, buy a kilo to give yourself a chance to really get it dialled in perfectly before it runs out

https://toasted.co.nz/pages/toasted

kind regards

reiss

Comments

• I'm just finishing another 1Kg bag of this coffee. with the kafatek max i now dose 20g and have spent much time experimenting with different pre-infusion pressures

i am nearing the end of the bag and i have settled on 2.7 bar; 2.5 bar being slightly queasy (too cool an extraction) and 3.0 bar being slightly burnt (brew water too hot)

i stepped up from an 18g dose to a 20g dose to get more body into the shot

brew weight around 28g

reiss
  • in case you were wondering, there are usually a number of ways to extract a coffee i think, rather than a singular optimum

for example, with this coffee if you prefer more fruit acidity keep the dose at 20g, keep the grind setting the same as before, but dial the pre-infusion pressure back to 1.8 bar

the cooler brew water reduces the extent of the extraction from the coffee in two ways; first the cooler water itself (every 10C movement in temperature halves(reduction in temp)/doubles(increase in temp) the rate of reaction), and secondly the cooler water is absorbed by the coffee grounds to a much less extent so the flow rate through the coffee is higher and therefore the pressure at which the extraction occurs is also reduced - the extraction time is perhaps just one third of the extraction time when the pre-infusion pressure is 2.7 bar as a result, which as you would expect produces an espresso that tastes completely different from the one where PI=2.7 bar

the key principle in espresso is equilibrium and that is why the machines we have designed for you are so forgiving - when you alter one parameter other parameters automatically move in the right direction to help you, preventing you from moving variables in directions that conflict with each other. for example, if you have a light roast it is less soluble than a darker roast. to counter the reduced solubility of the lighter roast you increase the pre-infusion pressure. but the design of a londinium espresso machine means an increase in pre-infusion pressure also gives you an increase in brew temperature AND an increase in brew volume: all the parameters are moving in the right direction to ensure you achieve an optimal extraction from the lighter roast. the opposite is true when you are using a darker roast.