This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R perfect until today.

The R has been operating perfectly until today. The pump appears not to activate when pulling a shot. As has been the case until now. Shot short in volume and lever catches higher in the stroke.

Tried a short flush and pump not activating.

Machine has functioned fine until today and has made amazing coffee.

Suggestions?

Bob

Comments

• hi bob
    when the boiler is up to pressure please open the hot water tap on the machine until the blue light comes on
    does the pump then come on and refill the boiler, the turn off and the blue light go out, and then the red light come on?
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • It worked exactly as you described.

I don’t know if the problem is intermittent or fatal.

After an hour warmup I’ll try again as I decided to shut down and reach out.

I use time to warmup and not a long flush btw.

Bob
  • hi john
    good. so i just need to send you a replacement secondary pressure switch
    it is very easy to swap over
    ill get one out today to the same address as i sent the machine to
    if you need me to send it elsewhere, please get in touch
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • That works for me,

Thanks,

Bob
  • Part came in, looks like you changed supplier. Upper left (looking from front), I see the original.

Any potential pitfalls?

Wiring, one terminal unused on original, the new mater only has two, +/- or doesn't matter?

Package included a short piece of clear tubing?

bob
  • hi john

so the silicone tubing is critically important as it ensures the high flow rotary can not run dry before the low water alarm sounds

you fit it here and push it onto the low water alarm sensor firmly:

the early machines we sent out were missing this - i wasnt sure whether yours had one or not, and as i was sending you something anyway i had the parts people add in the short piece of tubing - please fit it; it is critically important

if someone else is ready this and their LONDINIUM R does not have the 30mm tubing pushed onto the bottom of the water tank it is an easy home add

the inside diameter of the tubing is 1/2", which is the same as garden hose, and it needs to be 30mm long (no shorter)

next, fitting the pressure switch.

Attached files

• hi john

this is the wiring on the original Ceme pressure switch:

as you can see we have yellow to the 'COM' terminal and red to the 'NC' (normally closed) terminal
  • this is the Mater pressure switch fitted in place of the Ceme

***unplug the machine from the electrical supply***

use a 14mm wrench to remove the Ceme and a 17mm wrench to fit the Mater:

the writing on the Mater is quite fine and not particularly easy to read, but you see that the 'yellow' wire is on the top of the Mater which is labelled terminal 1

the red wire is now connected to the side of the Mater on the lower of the two terminals available, which is labelled terminal 2

as you can see from the blob of white paint it has been factory set by Mater (at 3.5 bar) and is not intended to be adjusted

most owners appear to be running modern light roasts and have not needed to touch the Ceme pressure switch, which is good

if you want to run traditional dark oily roasts then you will want a lower pre-infusion pressure

going forward we will achieve this with a Mater pressure switch pre-set to 1.5 bar

i look forward to hearing that your machine is back up and running shortly

Attached files

• Your description is opposite of picture as to wire color
  • hi john
    which bit is wrong?
    you might prefer to call the yellow wire orange, but i dont think confused the colours have i?
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • To my American mind the long dimension is "side" and the short dimension is "end". Must be a northern/southern hemisphere thing. After all you guys stand upside down in NZ .
  • fair enough.
  • My R came with the short tube in the tank so all is good there.

The replacement part was installed in literally minutes and all is operating to spec.

Easy process. Most difficult part was to unplug machine (had to move a sofa to get to plug). The machine was very well laid out, all parts easy to get to. It’s a simple machine to work on and built to an extremely high standard.

This thing will be simple to maintain for the next 50 years.

Thanks for the prompt response Reiss.

Bob
  • thank you for reporting on the outcome john, it is always appreciated. kind regards, reiss.
  • As I now become more familiar with the site, I might suggest this thread be moved to the Londinium R thread vs this Londinium I, II, III thread root.

bob
  • hi john, no problem I've moved it over. thanks for posting an image too. reiss.
  • I too have just experienced a similar problem with my R - to the extent this faulty pressure switch was causing one of the circuit breakers in our house to trip, as water was getting in.

I contacted Riess directly, and spare parts were sent immediately. The change over is very simple & easy and the service from Reiss was excellent. Thanks again.