This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Thank you Starbucks...

A little tongue in cheek ;). Starbucks, within the last week or so, has been on a big marketing push for their latest offering: Flat White. Not so surprising, based upon one reviewer, Starbucks Flat White tastes just like the lattes they push out.

But it did finally put a name to the style of morning capps I like. Up until reading more about the Flat White style of milk and espresso drinks (purportedly started in either New Zealand or Australia...the debate rolls on which one got to first base first :D) I had just coined the style we like as a "tight cappuccino" lacking anything more formal. This never presents a problem when I make my own but always seems to confuse most baristas, 3rd wave or otherwise, for the seldom occurrence I pay someone else to make me a "tight cappuccino".

And herein lies the solution: Flat White! Now Americans have another term to learn and stress over :D And maybe a term that fosters a different (what we like) style of cappuccino baristas can produce without much fanfare...for the seldom venture into coffee shops by me.

I make our capps using nearly a 50/50 ratio of espresso to micro foam which if I understand correctly is, essentially, a Flat White. This should, in theory at least, using Flat White when ordering be able to get a cappuccino drawn in the style we prefer without near the fanfare and taste shortcoming we've come to know thus far. Of course I could be wrong :D

Comments

• That is funny you should bring up that latest offering by that company. It does closely match the capps I got in Italy but the foam was not as sweet as good a foam.
  • Dan Streight post=7088 wrote: A little tongue in cheek ;). Starbucks, within the last week or so, has been on a big marketing push for their latest offering: Flat White. Not so surprising, based upon one reviewer, Starbucks Flat White tastes just like the lattes they push out.

But it did finally put a name to the style of morning capps I like. Up until reading more about the Flat White style of milk and espresso drinks (purportedly started in either New Zealand or Australia...the debate rolls on which one got to first base first :D) I had just coined the style we like as a "tight cappuccino" lacking anything more formal. This never presents a problem when I make my own but always seems to confuse most baristas, 3rd wave or otherwise, for the seldom occurrence I pay someone else to make me a "tight cappuccino".

And herein lies the solution: Flat White! Now Americans have another term to learn and stress over :D And maybe a term that fosters a different (what we like) style of cappuccino baristas can produce without much fanfare...for the seldom venture into coffee shops by me.

I make our capps using nearly a 50/50 ratio of espresso to micro foam which if I understand correctly is, essentially, a Flat White. This should, in theory at least, using Flat White when ordering be able to get a cappuccino drawn in the style we prefer without near the fanfare and taste shortcoming we've come to know thus far. Of course I could be wrong :D

The definitive guide to specialty coffee drinks:

• Hi dan

I'd put a 1:1 ratio down as a cortado I think

Flat white I'd use 1:4 (espresso:milk), perhaps 1:3

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Reading further...I discovered yet another variation term I was previously unfamiliar with: The Piccolo Latte (Aussie origin).

So much definition/denotation confusion once milk is brought to the party :D
  • I wish someone would come up with a list of all the names of the drinks and what they really are, something readable in chart form.

I am no barista when it comes to coffee drinks and milk is something that does not happen here but on rare occasions, but I would like to know all the differences in names and their recipes :-)
  • Stephen Sweeney post=7129 wrote: I wish someone would come up with a list of all the names of the drinks and what they really are, something readable in chart form.

I am no barista when it comes to coffee drinks and milk is something that does not happen here but on rare occasions, but I would like to know all the differences in names and their recipes :-)

As there is no general agreement on names and recipes, such a list could only be someone's preferences and there is no reason to believe others would follow. The only rational system I have seen is the one they were using at Prufrock Cafe here in London the last time I went in. There were three amounts of microfoamed milk you could order to go in your coffee and associated prices, and that was it. The cup sizes varied with the quantities.
  • good to see you on the forum jane
    please do feel free to ask questions/otherwise contribute
    I'm keen to get more women on the forum
    reiss.
  • Thanks Matthew, I suspected that is was not a straight forward solution to the terms since I am sure it varies from Country to Country and region to region within those Countries. Just thought I would ask