This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Why LONDINIUM?

Hello Frans

I already wrote you on Londinium forum to get some answers about the machine. I was hesitate between Londinium and Rocket Giotto, you remember?

Well, that's it : I've got my Londinium and I am really happy with it.
But anyway, I am member of a french coffee geak forum and a lot of french people ask me a lot of question about L1 (it's almost an unknown machine) and I am not able to answer !!
I already ask to Reiss some question about his machine but I guess, he must received the same question every day, so I don't have any response.

So my last solution is asking you !
PLEASE, can you write me in a few sentence, why the Londinium makes the difference betwween Strega, or Achille for example.
What is the difference of technology between londinium and others lever machine?
According to you, why Reiss create this machine instead of buying one already on the market?

In a few words, how I can prove to french people that the L1 is probably the best lever machine in the world ?

Thank you very much.
I am (we are) really waiting for you response.

Best regards

Jean-Philippe Mougin

http://machines.cafeslevier.free.fr/index.html
http://www.chromesdantan.com/

Comments

• hi jean-phillipe

yes, reiss is a bad man :dry:

seriously though, as i wrote in my emails to you, i have written too much on the LONDINIUM - it doesn't read well for me to say buy a LONDINIUM because all other machines suck for these reasons...

in your last email you explained to me that you have several contacts in France who are interested to learn more of the LONDINIUM but do not speak or read English. that is fine, no problem

but here is my suggestion; if they are genuinely interested can they send you the questions (in French) that they want answers to, and if you would be so kind as to post them here in English (or French if you prefer - i'll work with it) and i will answer those questions

in this way i know i can address their questions fully, and critically, it will be efficient and effective

otherwise i could write a book expounding the virtues of the LONDINIUM lever espresso machines and still not answer one of their questions, if i am unaware of what their questions are

i trust this suggestion finds favour with you - I'm just trying to be pragmatic about it

if they are in the north west of france i will put a machine in the car and drive it to them for a day of experimenting with it in their own environment - any excuse for a trip on the Eurotunnel and into the land of the gastronomic!

kind regards

reiss.
  • Jean-Philippe Mougin post=2506 wrote: Hello Frans
    (...) can you write me in a few sentence, why the Londinium makes the difference betwween Strega, or Achille for example.
    What is the difference of technology between londinium and others lever machine?

Happy you are happy with your L1!

If you see a Strega you will be able to feel and experience the difference. I know a few guys in The Netherlands who had one and were happy with it for a while but not one of them still has the Strega. One sold it to get a Cremina, an other one sold it to get a very big old lever machine.

In price/quality I don't see a real competitor around the price range of the L1. And not one of the others have a website where you can get support from fellow owners and the producer on a daily basis.
  • Why Londinium? If after reading all there is to find on Home-Barista.com and the various other Forums you will find there are mechanical differences and the L-I is simple and therefore less to go wrong!

But to put it simply into 2 words it is "Customer Service". You will find it tough to beat Londinium in customer service.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=2530 wrote: Why Londinium? If after reading all there is to find on Home-Barista.com and the various other Forums you will find there are mechanical differences and the L-I is simple and therefore less to go wrong!

But to put it simply into 2 words it is "Customer Service". You will find it tough to beat Londinium in customer service.

Well stated. There were 4 criteria that helped me make the decision to purchase an LI a year ago: 1) Based upon input from LI users the flavor and consistency in the cup was very high; 2) Reiss' pre and post sale support is clearly world class (for any product...don't go getting a big head Reiss :D); 3) Relative electro-mechanical simplicity and the ability to service it myself if/when needed; 4) Strong relative overall value.

No misses or regrets to my purchase! And I can't say that about most of the purchases I've made for a variety of different goods: Espresso related and not.

Its nice, relative to the LI, to actually have gotten what I paid for ;)
  • I'm not sure how well this will translate, but what about the age-old axiom "KISS"

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

(I was first introduced to this terminology in the US Marine Corps, hence the blunt nature!)
  • Hello
    I am really sorry ! I thought I will have an automatic email to inform me that I have an answer on Londinium forum ! That' s why I didn't write since my first question !! So thank you for response.
    Since I have my L1, I am so happy with it that I make a big post on french forum. And, I can say thanks to me, another french coffee lover just ordered his Londinium !! I hope he will be happy with it like I am.
    But I still got technical question on the forum. And if my response about "why londinium" is just because of the perfect customer service, I am sorry but it's important but not enough !!!
    I need, in a few sentence, some very technical information to answer "french curious". A lot of people ask me for example :
    According to you, why the L1 is better than a Strega, why the L1 is different than a Strega, why the L1 is almost 1000 euros more expansive, between a L1 and a Achille, which one is better and why. Why the LONDINIUM is different than a Strega, a Ponte Vecchio.
    Some body even ask me " hey, I have a La Pavani, it's also a lever machine and is a lot of cheaper". Well, I know, it's probably somebody stupid, but If I just response : the L1 is much nicer and the customer service is perfect", I thing it's not enough...
    In one word, Reiss, why, you decide to create the L1 instead of using another lever machine already on the marcket ?

And if I can't convince others french cutomers because I don't have the goog argument, I don't care, I've got my L1 and I enjoy it!
    Bye
  • hi jean-philippe

i think you have done enough to promote the virtues of the L1 in France, and i thank you for that

i think you should let people buy the machine they want to go for

if their budget does not permit an L1 there is no shame in that; it is a fact of life and there is no decision to be made

if they have the budget and they chose to buy something else, then i am sure they are capable of quietly disposing of the machine and getting the decision right the second time

there are enough ex-strega owners on this forum who can speak for themselves if they chose to

i will restate what i have said before, if you have the two side machines side by side and you have an engineering mind it is patently obvious why there is a price differential

the fact of the matter is the L1 is an affordable Idrocompresso

so the question to be asked is, 'why doesn't it cost £1000 more than it does?'

the answer, as i have written previously, is there is no 40% reseller margin. i honestly believe the distributor & reseller business model is dead for pretty much all consumer products

if car manufacturers can no longer afford a distributor & reseller model, and are now embarking on the direct sales route where you specify your new car on a website, then why the hullabaloo about doing it with espresso machines?

last time i checked there is a lot less to go wrong with an espresso machine than a car

kind regards

reiss.
  • Indeed, do not worry and enjoy your coffee!

When LONDINIUM was new in The Netherlands, I had similar discussions here as well. Some people laughing that I was buying a machine that was so new from a new company that had not sold espresso machines since 1960, et cetera, why not built in Italy...

Basically some people wonder "if your machine is good, does that mean my machine is not good? That cannot be!"

When I visited the factory and posted many pictures, people were impressed that it wasn't built in a garden shed but in a state of the art factory sprawling over a street with buidings on both sides, most of them belonging to the espresso machine factory.

When I finally got the machine, people were impressed but some waited, only to be sorry to see the machine becoming a little more expensive, and later more sorry that the Luxe version will not be produced anymore. And the guys who owned a Strega were already selling them to buy a better machine.

I also have two La Pavoni's and love them! But when I am at home I use the LONDINIUM of course.
  • It's funny to see that french people had the same reaction when I got the L1 than people from Netherlands when Frans you've got yours !
    You are right, I've done the job to get information before buying the machine, reading almost all the forum speaking about L1.
    Now, when french people will ask me question, I will give them those link:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Londinium-Espresso/111386278916950
    and this one:
    http://vimeo.com/goddijn/videos/page:1/sort:date

Thank you again, I know I've done the good choice.
  • I don't understand something : why I can reply to some topics but not to others.
    For example I can't reply to the topic open by Frans about Reneka Micro Sieve. I got this filter since 4 month and I tried it 4 days after I got the L1
    This Reneka Micro Sieve is french !!
    If you want a link to order it, ask me !
    Bye
  • hi jean-philippe

i think the remedy is a password reset - let me know

kind regards

reiss.
  • Jean-Philippe Mougin post=2699 wrote: I don't understand something : why I can reply to some topics but not to others.
    For example I can't reply to the topic open by Frans about Reneka Micro Sieve. I got this filter since 4 month and I tried it 4 days after I got the L1
    This Reneka Micro Sieve is french !!
    If you want a link to order it, ask me !
    Bye

How do you like the sieve?