This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

OFFSET numbers

Hi
I have a new LR (a month old) and If m getting some medium roast (Chromatic Gamut)beans dialed in and wanted to adjust the pre-infusion pressure upwards a notch (now that the other variables have settled), to get more taste in the shot. I opened up the machine and noticed the OFFSET was set to -1.4. I did notice in other threads that you do recommend -1.0 so I adjusted that and left the others as they were. In the settings menu, The “Bar” said 6.5 and the “Set “was 3.0.

I waited a half hour and pulled my shot (19.5g in, 38g out) and noticed the difference right away, definitely a richer flavor.

Question is: did that change in OFFSET bump up my preinfusion pressure a little? I would guess so, but I am not sure. Figured I’d ask before making other changes, exactly what the OFFSET does.

I must say The LR is a delight and has changed my home espresso game immensely.

Thanks!

Bill

Comments

• hi bill

the offset compensates for the drop in pressure from the point at which the pressure transducer is located to the puck

this drop i have measured to be 1.0 bar, which needs to be entered as an offset value of -1.0 (causing the value displayed on the console to drop by 1.0 bar)

for whatever reason our electronics supplier set the default offset to -1.4 bar

it needs to be -1.0 bar

hope this helps

kind regards

reiss.
  • I suppose my real question is: by changing the offset from -1.4 to -1.0, am I effectively increasing my pre-infusion pressure, leaving all other things the same?
  • no, you are reducing it (the greater a negative offset value is the higher the pressure the pump needs to deliver to reach the same target pressure)

for example:

assume the offset value was zero and the pressure at the transducer was 4 bar

if you then changed the offset value to -1 the displayed pressure at the transducer would change to 3 (assuming it was still measuring 4)

kind regards

reiss.