This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Steam Wand -- wet steam/spurting water

Hi

My steam wand initially spurts water, then steam, interspersed with burts of water.

I replaced the Serai pressure switch and the safety valve in November 2018.

The machine is September 2015 vintage.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is would be appreciated.

Ian

Comments

• Have you been able to check the boiler pressure? And the water level sensor? If that sensor is clogged up, and the water level gets too high, then there might be water where high up in the boiler one would expect steam. If you keep the steam wand open for a longer time, does that change its output?
  • Hi Frans

Thank you for your reply.

The boiler pressure is normal.

After I've purged sufficient water/steam to attempt to heat some milk, by the time I've done that, the steam output then seems normal.

I'm afraid I don't know how to check the water lever sensor, or precisely where it's located.

I could post a video of the water/steam output if that might help.

Ian
  • Postscript:

In the last 6 months or so, I've started to use the machine a lot less than in the past, as I need to cut down on caffeine. Accordingly, I now only draw a double shot for breakfast and another after dinner.

A few months ago, I had 2 or 3 instances of mysterious puddles of water on the floor near where the machine is located. There was no water underneath the machine, nor any signs of any leaks, but I can't think of anywhere else it could have come from.
  • hi ian

what frans has suggested is correct

if you have water coming out of the steam wand the boiler has over filled

on a machine of your vintage the most likely cause is that the level probe needs a clean (on a new machine it would indicate that the water being used is too soft)

there is a post on how to do this in the permanent file, or you can use the search facility with something like 'clean level probe'

let me know if you are unable to find the article and i will locate it for you

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss

The only post in the permanent file I can find is that kindly referred to by Frans.

Do I simply remove the probe and give it a clean and reinsert it, or is there any kind of adjustment to make to it?

Kind Regards

Ian
  • hi ian

perfect, i didn't notice them in my haste this morning

yes, just clean the probe without using anything that will scratch the surface as this will merely make it easier for the limescale to key onto in the future

im not averse to using my fingernail if the scaling is fairly mild

otherwise standing the probe in a descaling solution is the way to go for heavy scale

do not use steel wool / goldilocks pads/ scotchbrite / etc

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss

Managed to get around to this job the other day. There was ever so slight scaling on the rod that protruded from the white sleeve, that I cleaned as you explained.

The water spurting doesn't seem quite as bad, but there still appears to be a lot of water coming out of the wand, as opposed to steam, in particular initially.

One thing I noticed is that the rod only protrudes about 1cm from the white sleeve, compared to the photograph in the permanent file. My machine is a 2015 L1.

Perhaps this is now normal, I don't know, I can't really remember what it was like before the problem started, and didn't really pay too much attention to it, but had just started to notice that there was a lot of water as opposed to steam. Certainly milk drinks now taste less watery, and the milk froth is silkier and smoother.

The Boiler Pressure is showing as 1.2.

I attach a video link:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZs0KYkZt6J6KK3DBfpktJfICOxzUBUVUQWV

Any advice as to what to try next would be welcome.

Ian
  • hi ian

yes, that isnt as it should be

can you please post an image of the level probe (mounted in place - i.e. no need to remove anything) that is taken far enough away from the probe that i can clearly see how much of the entire stainless steel probe is protruding above the fitting

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss

Here's the image.

On a separate note, I've lost one of the rubber rings that is inset in one of the feet of my machine. Are they indistry standard O rings, or do I need to buy one from you?

Kind Regards

Ian

• hi ian

perfect! that's why you have more water than steam coming out - the level probe has been pushed up and out of position by the pressure in the boiler, probably indicating that the smaller of the two nuts on the boiler fitting is too loose, meaning the ptfe sleeve is not providing sufficient compression to hold the level probe in place against the pressure of the boiler

gently twist and push the level probe back down until the right angle bend in the probe prevents it from being pushed down any further, then gently tighten the inner nut - just a little though as it won't come up super tight as it is pulling up against the soft PTFE sleeve and over tightening it will mangle the sleeve

the o-rings are generic - pull another one out of one of the other legs and take it to your local shop as a size reference and away you go

let me know how you steam is after the above adjustment!

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss

When I went to fix it the other day, the 11mm nut, the inner one, was only finger tight.

Kind Regards

Ian
  • yes, as i expected.
  • this is where the level probe should be positioned:

• Hi Reiss

Thanks for your help on this.

Problem now sorted.

Kind Regards

Ian