This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Leaking steam wand

2»

Comments

• I am getting the check expansion valve message on the PI unit. You mentioned up thread that this indicated that it needed adjustment.
  • hi rob

i have placed the instructions you need in the permanent file so it is easy for other owners to find in future; https://londiniumespresso.com/permanent-file/1336-does-the-pump-stutter-on-and-off-repeatedly-when-the-lr-is-idle#15670

the error message you are seeing on the display is purely our text programming which appears when the 'Bar' value on the pressure transducer console exceeds 12.7 bar (with an offset value of -1.0 bar)

to remedy this you will obviously turn the expansion valve in a counter-clockwise direction as you want to reduce the pressure at which the expansion valve opens

i suggest you start with an eighth of a turn

kind regards

reiss.
  • I received the replacement anti-vac valve today and after installation it leaks almost as much as the original. With the machine up to temperature and the sides off it is very noticeable when it is doing it. Surely this cannot be normal? The anti-vac valve on my previous machine didn't make a noise once sealed.

The replacement steam wand has a completely different design both inside and out. It looks like it needs the o-ring that was broken and there was not one with the replacement. The flats on the outer surface are machined whereas the ones on the existing steam wand and hot water are not. It is a shame they don't match.

• hi rob

can you please post a video clip of the anti vac valve leaking, or feel free to FaceTime/WhatsApp me for a HD video call?

an image that shows which safety valve is on your machine would also be interesting

from what i can see from the image supplied above i believe you have been sent a steam wand assembly that does not belong on our machines; unfortunately the parts person was on leave last week and a stand in was picking and packing

i will send an email to the factory now with the image you have posted above and get them to confirm

if it is not the correct item i will have the correct steam arm despatched later today, tuesday

i apologise for the ongoing inconvenience

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

No worries, I am sure we'll get there soon! Does this video give you what you need to see?

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]bNmkoEsBez8

If not let me know what view you would like and I will take a photo this evening UK time.

Thanks,

Rob
  • hi rob

are you able to tell me where it is leaking from - i can hear leaking but it sounds like water bubbling out more so than steam

if the valve were not sealing i would expect to see a cloud of steam rising out of it, with water droplets splashing out of it, as it does to an extent briefly when the boiler pressure builds from a cold start sufficiently to start to lift the valve up in to the closed position, and fully seals a few second later

the noise i am hearing suggests to me, not that i can see it in the video, that the leak is coming up the thread and out around the copper crush washer

are you able to see water droplets appearing around the copper crush washer?

if so if it were me i would put the 17mm spanner back on the valve and give it 2 or 3 solid hits with the hammer and see if that crushed the copper crush washer

if you dont want to go that route you can put some loxeal 55-03 on the thread of the anti-vac valve and tighten it back down - im not sure - you may have done this already? if so that would eliminate any possibility that it is leaking up the threads

kind regards

reiss.
  • finally, i would implore you to take a cardboard tube that you find as the former on a roll of kitchen cling film and hold one end over the valve and the other end to your ear as if there are no visible signs of water or steam from the valve i am beginning to doubt if that is the source of the leak.
  • That video was taken as the boiler was coming up to pressure. Sorry, I thought you wanted to see the safety valve. I will take another video tonight of what it does when it is up to pressure as then it is more intermittent hissing and no water droplets. I don't think it is leaking around the washer as if I jiggle the valve it will stop doing it.

I don't have any Loxeal 55-03 as unfortunately Francino shipped some Loxeal silicone grease by mistake but I am not averse to giving it a couple of taps with a hammer once you have seen a video.

Thanks,

Rob
  • thats really poor rob, i can only apologise (again). as soon as i get an answer on the wand ill send you the correct wand and the 55-03.
  • No worries, it isn't your fault. You've been very good in helping resolve these issues. When I take a video tonight I will use a cardboard tube to double check that the leak is not coming from elsewhere and reply.

Thanks,

Rob
  • Using a cardboard tube I can definitely tell it is the anti-vac. You can just about hear it in the video below. I tried tightening the anti-vac with some hammer strikes but it did not stop it. It is hard to tell for sure but I don't think it is leaking around the washer.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]artft68zrjU
  • Any thoughts on whether this sound indicates hissing is from the valve or the threads. Would it be worth me trying some PTFE tape on the threads?
  • hi rob

that image you posted of the new steam wand that was sent to you (previous page), does that have the brass plunger sitting on top of the stainless steel ball end?

if so could you please post another image with the brass plunger removed so i can determine if you have been sent the correct steam wand?

kind regards

reiss.