This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Replacing safety valve

Reiss, I've been thinking of finally getting around to installing the modern version of the safety valve, which I bought last year. The machine rarely gets fully hot in the morning, no matter how many hours it is switched on for before I go into the kitchen. A flush or two brings the group up to temp, and it is stable the rest of the day. I can't detect any leaks but I suppose there is a tiny one. Anyway, I noticed there was a recent discussion here about the copper washer beneath the nut that holds the valve to the boiler. Can I just reuse the one that is there already?

I'll also need to remove a couple of pipes to get room to get a wrench into place. Do I have to know anything beyond your advice to use sharp taps with an engineer's hammer to the 22mm spanner handle to loosen the nuts? Do I need to use a thread locker when reinstalling the pipes and the safety valve?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• hi matthew

replacing the safety valve will not address your issue - the new design of safety valve will stop any hiss and result in your machine using slightly less energy, but it is not responsible for your machine not reaching the correct operating temperature until after the first coffee has been made

as described your issue is the anti-vac valve is sticking in the up position when you turn the machine off at the end of the day

this means when you turn the machine on the next morning the boiler is at ambient temperature but there is a vacuum in the boiler

as a result the boiler does not reach the correct operating temperature until, most likely, the steam wand is opened for the first time that day

my suggestion is that you start by either taking the anti-vac valve off and cleaning it, or in the event that the o-ring in the anti-vac valve has become hard and brittle with heat over the years that you replace the valve

i think a 17mm spanner is what you will need off the top of my head

you should not need a thread sealant

be sure to use a hammer - i am happy to provide guidance via FaceTime or WhatsApp

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks, Reiss. That is very helpful. I’ve ordered a new vacuum breaker and acopper washer for the safety valve, in case I need them. After they arrive, I’ll have a go at doing the repairs on my own. But if I run into difficulty, I’ll take you up on your generous FaceTime offer.
    Best wishes,
    Matt
  • ok. do fit the safety valve too, its well worth it.
  • Yes, I will. I'll let you know how it turns out.