This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Niche Zero - single dosing grinder

I saw Reiss mentioned Niche in another threat.
I bought one, and I am using it as single dosing grinder with my LR. I still own Mythos 1, as my regular grinder, but now I have the flexibility to single dose, change coffees often, and still get decent grind quality which is really nice. Highly recommended, of course it is still new, so time will show how reliable it is, but so far all good.
So if someone is OK to use single dosing grinder, I think this is an option worth considering. And when LC will become available, it might killer duo, something very hard to beat on domestic espresso market.

Comments

• I did have Niche for a brief period of time. It wasn’t cutting for me - I am using lighter roasts and the results weren’t in the cup.

I didn’t notice massive difference before upgrading to LR, but I think LR deserves a better grinder if your preferences are brighter and clearer notes. Compared to Ceado E37s or EK43S, I am getting tastier espressos to my preference. That’s probably worth mentioning since people do have different preferences.

The workflow is brilliant and it’s so hassle and mess free.
  • How do you find ceado vs EK for light roast?
  • Lukasz Dziekan post=15303 wrote: How do you find ceado vs EK for light roast?
    Sorry Lukasz, I never had a chance to do side by side pours due to how my equipment moved around. The way my upgrade path went was:
    Sage DTP with Ceado E37s
    Sage DTP with Niche
    L-R with Niche
    ... turn on E37s for few days, realise I’m missing out too much... a bit of regret, really!
    EK43s landed and paired with L-R.

I usually have 2-4 bags of coffee bags open now and take some to work, so having an on demand grinder didn’t work out for me. Loading a hopper with 200g of beans is not a way to run a grinder with a hopper.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t notice that much of a difference between E37s and Niche on Sage Duo Temp Pro. There’s a lot of love for Niche and I get it - it’s a great grinder for an amazing price tag. The workflow is the best I ever experienced. I sold mine for more than I paid for (early backer, I think I was in first 50).

I’m going to say that the EK43s shots are clearer, sweeter and thinner (if you’re on 1:3 ratio). It’s a lot harder to get a good tasting shot. I think that’s mainly because the shots are much clearer and there’s more difference in shot taste between adjustments to ratio or grind. With Niche it was tasting good in any ballpark area, but I never had a shot I was blown away by.

Hope that answers your question. A bit of rambling, I admit.
  • Thanks P,
    I assume you still get blown away shots with EK or you would not be using it.
    Lukasz