This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

cleaning chassis

Hi,
Any good tips to keep exterior chassis shiny and spot-free?
Thanks,
Lukasz

Comments

• Hi Lukasz

do you mean the chassis, which is the black powder coated frame, or do you mean the stainless steel panels that affix to the chassis?

kind regards

Reiss.
  • for the stainless steel any proprietary stainless steel cleaner; in the UK Barkeeper's friend is highly recommended. if you dont mind the aromatics, even WD40 does a good job.
  • I meant stainless steel panels, they develop spots quite easily even from soft water.
  • I find the following product (sold as Microfibre Cleaning Gloves)
    image quite useful to keep the machine clean and shiny. One glove, with one finger lightly damp (not wet when working with a hot machine) . Errant coffee grounds disappear with the first pass, water marks with one to two passes, then polishing depends on the dampness of the glove (the lesser, the faster). For harder cleaning one side of glove is damp and then used on the other hand (the dry side) for polishing. The glove then goes in the wash.
  • I always use a microfiber cloth and steam. Works like a charm.
    Just hold the cloth under the steamwand for a few seconds (mind your hand!) and start cleaning. Repeat when the cloth has dried up and your not done yet.
    I use the same method for the RVS cooking hood, which tends to get sticky. Steam cleans it without leaving any traces.
  • Thanks for tip. Tried micfofiber and steam.
    It is able to clean stains etc.,
    Later tried to oil surface, but still result are not really satisfactory, some (rainbow) smudges left.

Maybe I need to try stainless steel cleaners...
  • I feel like a barbarian now, but lately I am using window cleaner on the cold machine. It easily removes every smudge, also dried up coffee stains. There are no stripes after the alcohol is evaporated. To make everything worse, I use paper towels and rub all over the nice and shiny steel, when cleaning with the spray. I am not sure if this will scratch the finish over time, but especially the front is always dirty since I mostly use a small espresso cup and the bottomless portafilter, which is a bad combination for cleanliness (many splashes). In my opinion, the moment you clean the first bit of dust , you potentially scratch the surface with it.
  • Nico, it seems that window cleaner works like a charm.
    No streaks anymore...
  • Hello:

I realize this thread has been dormant for over a month, but here's my two cents....

I find wiping any steam splattering. or other water droplets, immediately, is key. I keep a microfiber cloth nearby and just give a quick wipe routinely after using the steam wand or filling the reservoir with H2O. It's easy to do and keeps the panels nice and shiny.