This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L-R and etzMAX blog / video

Comments

• thanks for posting frans, another well engineered grinder. interested to hear your thoughts as you spend more time with it
  • Nice video Frans.
    This is like the big brother to the Sette 270w. I would be interested to know your thoughts on taste compared to say the e8, large flat burrs, to the small conicals of the etzMax.
    From some reviews I've heard, it's hard to tell a difference, but I don't know.

Regards,
  • About the taste:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.com/2018/06/etzmax-and-r120-taste-comparison.html

we did a series of taste comparisons. We used the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe natural, Gelana abaya by Catalyst Coffee Consulting, roasted by myself on the Coffee-Tech FZ-94.

We dialled in the grind setting on both machines in order to get 30g of espresso in about 30 seconds from 18g of grinds, after a pre-infusion of 5 seconds at about 3.5 bar. We tasted the shots directly after the pull, but also while the cups were cooling down and as they were at room temperature.

Both the R120 and the etzMAX yielded a delicious treat of espresso from these very special beans, but there were some distinct differences:

R120 taste remarks:
    Sweet gorgeous, like stolen cake batter
    Umami
    Round, smooth

etzMAX taste remarks:
    Cream
    Almond paste
    Dutch 'speculaas' gingerbread cookie
    Leather / saddle room aroma
    Spicy autumn leaves / mushroom

From the etzMAX shots It was easier to distinguish the separate taste details. This may have something to do with the conical burr set since I remember a similar 'eye opening' experience when I first moved from a small flat burr grinder to the HG One with its Mazzer Robur conicals.

Quite remarkable too how the relatively small etzMAX holds up against the gargantuan R120.

I have meanwhile sold the E5 and E8 so no comparisons follow of those ;-)

[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]277848411
  • Hi Frans

Can this grinder be used solely as a single doser ? And if so can the taste in the cup differ from the beans having weight behind them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • The ginder can be used for single dosing, but also with a small or large volume hopper on top of it.

I am currently using it for single dosing and I'm observing how that goes. Will take a while before I can present any conclusions (not making dozens of coffees daily)...
  • I'll look forward to your thoughts. I currently have the Compak E8 but in all honesty I miss the single dosing and it pains me to waste 30+ grams of coffee every morning. Is there any evidence of popcorn on the etzmax ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Flushing 30+g on the E8 sounds too much. Half a shot, something like 10-14g should do it but you could even do what a friend of mine does, which he learned from his Italian in-laws -- just use the few grams of 'yesterday's grinds' as it makes the first cup of the day nice and mild to wake up with.

I just loaded a small handful of beans in the medium hopper, kept the lid open and watched as the beans ground away. Two or three managed to jump into sight before falling right back into the fatal jaws of the unrelenting burr set ;-)
  • Frans Goddijn post=14792 wrote: About the taste:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.com/2018/06/etzmax-and-r120-taste-comparison.html

we did a series of taste comparisons. We used the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe natural, Gelana abaya by Catalyst Coffee Consulting, roasted by myself on the Coffee-Tech FZ-94.

We dialled in the grind setting on both machines in order to get 30g of espresso in about 30 seconds from 18g of grinds, after a pre-infusion of 5 seconds at about 3.5 bar. We tasted the shots directly after the pull, but also while the cups were cooling down and as they were at room temperature.

Both the R120 and the etzMAX yielded a delicious treat of espresso from these very special beans, but there were some distinct differences:

R120 taste remarks:
    Sweet gorgeous, like stolen cake batter
    Umami
    Round, smooth

etzMAX taste remarks:
    Cream
    Almond paste
    Dutch 'speculaas' gingerbread cookie
    Leather / saddle room aroma
    Spicy autumn leaves / mushroom

From the etzMAX shots It was easier to distinguish the separate taste details. This may have something to do with the conical burr set since I remember a similar 'eye opening' experience when I first moved from a small flat burr grinder to the HG One with its Mazzer Robur conicals.

Quite remarkable too how the relatively small etzMAX holds up against the gargantuan R120.

I have meanwhile sold the E5 and E8 so no comparisons follow of those ;-)

Hi Frans,

Thanks for the details. Good information.
    I picked up a lightly used Monolith conical grinder and was interested in the taste difference. These are single dose grinders so the weight is spot on. I don't have a flat burr to compare side-by-side though.

I was wondering if you have tested/ compared the accuracy of the weighed dose to your what your lunar scale would show?

Thanks for the videos.
  • Roger Bachman post=14803 wrote:
    I was wondering if you have tested/ compared the accuracy of the weighed dose

Watch this thread / my blog / videos to keep updated about any (near) future additional info ;-)
  • [video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]Wz8eQgBENQ0
  • Nice video Frans,

What basket are you using here with 18g? I am getting more use to the IMS Londinium basket but get best pours at around 21g. I would rather save a bit of coffee and use 18g.

Thanks
  • My uncle was Blind Lemon Watermelon. Brilliant!
  • Roger Bachman post=14852 wrote: Nice video Frans

Thanks!
    Roger Bachman post=14852 wrote: What basket are you using here with 18g?

The LONDINIUM B702TFh26
    Roger Bachman post=14852 wrote:
    I am getting more use to the IMS Londinium basket but get best pours at around 21g. I would rather save a bit of coffee and use 18g.

It also depends on your bean roast / freshness. I aim for well developed roasts that are still not really dark.

I do not much prefer the expensive modern 'light' roasts that (for me) lack development. Those need higher dose, extra fine grind, longer pre-infusion etc to pry max taste out of the puck.
  • Frans,

OK, that's the same basket I am using. I may try for a faster pour also since I'm using a conical. I had a Sette 270 for a short time but they feel cheap and many people were having issues, so I sold it before it had much use.

Regards,
    Roger
  • Good evening Frans, the etzmax medium will be available soon... whats you conclusion if you compare to the other grinders you know?
    sincerely christian

Gesendet von meinem F5321 mit Tapatalk
  • I love the grinder. It looks radically different from all others, the taste is great and the precision is remarkable (also compared to the Baratza Forte which I have which is less precise in grind-by-weight mode).
  • thanx cheers christian

Gesendet von meinem F5321 mit Tapatalk