This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Hot water all day?

Is it feasible to use the Londinium R as a kettle replacement in a kitchen? Obviously the primary purpose will be for espresso (!) but I'm interested to know if I leave it switched on all day can everyone else use it for whatever hot water they might need?

Is this bad for the machine in any way and does it impact longevity of components?

Comments

• hi adam

the answer is depends, as in, it depends how much water you are planning to draw off, both in total and also at any given point

it works a lot better on a 220/240V machine too; completely refilling a boiler with cold water on the 120V version is really noticeable - you lose all your boiler pressure and you wait for it to return

the boiler is only 2.3 litres so it would work better with the L1 which has a 7 litre boiler, but then it is a big lump for a domestic kitchen

we use our 240VLR in the way you describe with no ill effects, but you will encounter a view that draining off the boiler and refilling it with cold water will not help the life of the immersion element

while i follow the logic i have never replaced an element and have sold very few elements to customers, perhaps only 2 or 3, so i can only assume it is not a significant issue

kind regards

reiss.
  • I was just thinking of cup fulls of hot water for drinks so it sounds like that is no problem. Thanks for the quick reply Reiss.
  • Hi Adam,

if it helps you, I have the LR in my living room and use it also for soup and tea. The maximum I would draw out at a time is around 1 liter for a tea pot. The pump refills the boiler quickly and it is back up to temp in no time (especially when hot).

Just calculate in the voltage (I am on 230 V) and size of the water tank (if used).

Best,
    Nico