This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 Boiler / Steam Fitting leak

Hello all, I am hearing a constant hissing coming from my L1 whenever I use the steam wand, so I opened it up and took a look inside and see that it is coming from the fitting where the steam line connects to the boiler. What is the best way to seal this fitting? See video below.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Comments

• hi allen

replace the pipe i think, unless you have or know of someone with welding skills on copper & brass

they are available in the web store

if you can put a note on your order that you have a series one L1 that would be helpful

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks for the quick reply Reiss! I believe I want the right hand side steam pipe here:

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/espresso-machine-parts/right-hand-side-steam-pipe

I've had my L1 for nearly 4 years now, and I just replaced the piston seals, the shower screen, and the group seal all for the first time. Are there any other parts that you recommend I pick up while I am at it, that might need replacing soon too? Would it be wise to order a spare heating element?

Thanks again for your help!

-Allen
  • its very unusual for a heating element to go - i think only 2 or 3 so far and i think they were all scaled

i would probably be checking that the safety valve is leak free and the same for the anti-vac

if the anti vac is sticking it will cause the machine to perform erratically

check to see that it has dropped down into the open position 30 minutes after switching the machine off
  • Okay great! I have placed an order for a replacement right hand side steam pipe along with a few other misc spare parts to have on hand. Thanks !

-Allen
  • thank you. apologies for my random PM, i thought you were in NZ as the time zone in your profile said UTC+12

ps, it is a public holiday in the UK today, monday, so nothing will leave today

reiss.
  • No problem at all about PM and / or shipping. Thanks!

-Allen
  • I've just watched your video.
    Is the leak from the pipe to the end fitting, or the end fitting to the boiler?
    I would have thought the latter in which case I'd first remove the pipe and clean the metal to metal junction with ultra fine sandpaper and reinstall.
    Don't forget Reiss's technique of tapping the spanner when undoing the nuts.
    Greg
  • It appears to me that the leak is coming from right here (see attached pic).

I have not done any maintenance of this level on my L1 before, so I'm not familiar with Reiss's technique of tapping the spanner when undoing the nuts, but I will do some research before attempting anything as I definitely don't want to mess up my L1 boiler!

• hi allen

you had added the attachment, all you needed to do was click in the message where you wanted the image to appear and then click 'embed'

greg may well be correct, but presumably it has been leak free for the last 4 years so im guessing the male nipple that is welded onto the end of the copper pipe has either fractured under compression, or the weld between the pipe and the nipple has fractured under compression

it would seem unusual for the nipple and the boiler fitting to stop sealing (metal to metal) unless the machine has been dropped or the pipe fitting has been loosened or played with

kind regards

reiss.
  • when loosening or tightening any of the fittings on the boiler the technique is very simple, albeit counter-intuitive:

do not fit the wrench to the fitting and simply pull harder and harder; the risk is the boiler fitting will twist the boiler before it loosens on the thread

instead, fit the wrench to the fitting you are loosening and then strike the end of the wrench with an engineer's hammer ideally

do not be afraid of the loud bang and the shock that results; this is what will cause the boiler fitting to loosen from the thread that it is mounted on

keep striking repeatedly until you feel it loosen

they are conventional right handed threads so remember the old adage; lefty loosie, righty tighty

please do not use adjustable wrenches or water pump pliers anywhere on the machine; you will mangle any and all fittings on the machine that you touch

a complete set of metric spanners/wrenches of adequate quality are today very affordable so there is no reason not to buy a set and you will have them for the rest of your life if you look after them