This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

wenge finish

I wanted to ask how you finish your wenge handles?
In particular has anybody used danish oil (I have tung oil based one)?

So far I found that Reiss recommends wax (never used myself), on guitar forums recommend leaving it raw, sometimes with varnish or danish oil (but few reports say it will darken it too much).

Comments

• I think Reiss now leaves them raw and recommends treating them with wax/oil. I use the Brandon bespoke wax oil treatment and I'm extremely happy with it. No darkening and leaves that lovely mat finish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  • i presume you've seen this post already, https://londiniumespresso.com/news/butcher-s-block-conditioners-for-wenge-handles-zlice-by-billdandesign-co-nz ?

i dont see the point in paying for a hardwood then putting a permanent polyurethane or epoxy coating on it; you might was well have plastic

anything that is sold as being suitable for butcher's block conditioning and mentions beeswax i personally think is a great choice

the first three coats disappear into the raw wood quickly, but after that it starts to build up what i consider a pleasing tactile finish and you then only need to reapply 2 or 3 times a year to maintain it

dont over think it; butcher's block conditioner with beeswax in various formulations is available all over the planet as far as i am aware

kind regards

reiss.
  • Danish oil is considered natural finish: it is either tung (better) or linseed oil and some varnish
    It is very good for most of the woods, not sure about wenge. Some reports it may darken it and kill contrast.

Today I also made little beeswax paste (1:3 beeswax candle: mineral oil).

Third option is raw, but I guess heat makes wood dry faster. So not an option,
  • I use the SKYDD wood treatment oils from IKEA. Works great.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00046786/