This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 arm swap

I saw the video showing that you can swap steam and water on the L-R - is this also possible on the current L1? Is it possible to buy the machine in this swapped format instead?

Comments

• Hi David
    No it is not
    It’s a non issue anyway with the toggle control valves as it eliminates the left hand/right hand control issue
    We have only gone to the trouble on the LR because espresso machines sold in Germany have had the steam on the left and so we are accommodating what they have grown used to
    Reiss
  • Reiss Gunson post=14435 wrote: Hi David
    No it is not
    It’s a non issue anyway...

Unfortunately that's not entirely true, in my case at least.

The machine will sit almost hard up against its right hand edge, which at very least means relearning steaming technique, assuming it's possible to steam with a jug directly out in front of the machine.

I've always steamed milk with the nozzle pointing directly downwards, so I've no idea if it's possible/comfortable to steam in this other way, or if the steam arm would end up at an unworkable angle...I do hope not, there isn't another place the machine can go.
  • LR is the machine for domestic applications.
  • Reiss Gunson post=14437 wrote: LR is the machine for domestic applications.

It's not entirely a domestic setup - more home/office, so the usage is moderate throughout the day.

We have a tank machine currently and upgrading to plumb in is a key part of a switch to a new machine.

So steaming "out front" isn't really doable?
  • I’m not sure what you mean by ‘out front’

The LR will be absolutely fine for your needs unless you are planning to draw a lot of water off the boiler

Reiss
  • "Out front" refers to the inability to use the steam arm as one normally would, as I mentioned initially, so whether having the arm positioned outwards to steam, is viable.

Tank doesn't work for us due to the need for teas, as well as coffees.
  • Steaming "outa da front" works well. I will post a video shortly.
  • Works well, even with a camera on a tripod on the left of the operator.

• That's really helpful, thanks Fran's

So is the L1-P that you have essentially the same machine as the current L1? With the 7 litre boiler?
  • David Jackson post=14443 wrote: That's really helpful, thanks Fran's

So is the L1-P that you have essentially the same machine as the current L1? With the 7 litre boiler?

Yes, just the name is different. What used to be called the L1-P is presently named L1.
  • David Jackson post=14443 wrote: thanks Fran's

PS my name is simply Frans, not Fran's ;-)
  • I was about to apologise for this...I didn't spot the auto-correct, sorry