This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Introduction and possible tip for new users

Greetings All:

I just wanted to post and say how happy I am with my new L-R. It's been a week now and I look forward to mornings where I am able to prepare a couple of shots for my wife and myself prior to heading off to work.

I would also be remiss if I didn't give Reiss kudos for engaging with me in a FaceTime session to help a newbie through the learning curve of the process of dialing in my grinder (Compak E5). Thank you Reiss!

One thing that I thought I might pass along to other new users is that if you have a programmed outlet switch like I do that turns the machine on prior to you waking up, it might be helpful to add one step to your evening routine. You are probably already filling your tank up each night but if you also turn the machine on just long enough for the pump to fill the boiler tank then you will likely have little to no noise when the machine is powered on by the outlet timer in the morning. Not to say that the pump is loud by any means but I am a light sleeper so anything new gets my attention. If I am doing something harmful to the machine then, Reiss, please chime in and correct the error of my ways. And many thanks, again!

Terry -- Alaska

Comments

• Great suggestion. If you already have the machine on a timer, you could simply add a 1 minute turn on in the evening before you typically go to sleep. I had been doing what you suggested manually but realized that this might also work well and plan to try it.
  • Mark Ross post=14490 wrote: you could simply add a 1 minute turn on in the evening before you typically go to sleep.

That's brilliant!
  • I read your suggestion and added the one minute on/off schedule in the evening to my programmed timer. Nice.
  • I verified it myself tonight and it does work well.
  • I have added the evening 1 minute timed session to my programmable outlet timer, as well. It's working out great.
  • I realize this is an old topic but unfortunately this is not working for me, or maybe I'm not doing something right. Currently my machine is plugged in Wemo and I make my last coffee around 8PM (20:00) then it auto-shuts off at 8:30PM. I have set up my Wemo to turn on for one minute at 9:15PM and to turn off at 9:16PM, hoping the machine would do the pump ritual then instead in the morning. I have programmed Wemo to turn on at 5:45AM, but on most mornings (I'd say 2 out of 3 mornings) the pump still engages for 4-5 seconds which is enough to wake us up. We sleep behind closed doors, but the machine is barely 5-6 feet (2m) from the door. I should mention that this occurs more often when I'm making teas or americanos in the evening, but I always let it stabilize after I draw lots of water. Any tips, ideas?

This is my Wemo schedule:
    5:45 - ON
    8:00 - OFF
    18:45 - ON
    20:30 - OFF
    21:15 - ON
    21:16 - OFF
  • Igor Lontos post=15243 wrote: I realize this is an old topic but unfortunately this is not working for me, or maybe I'm not doing something right. Currently my machine is plugged in Wemo and I make my last coffee around 8PM (20:00) then it auto-shuts off at 8:30PM. I have set up my Wemo to turn on for one minute at 9:15PM and to turn off at 9:16PM, hoping the machine would do the pump ritual then instead in the morning. I have programmed Wemo to turn on at 5:45AM, but on most mornings (I'd say 2 out of 3 mornings) the pump still engages for 4-5 seconds which is enough to wake us up. We sleep behind closed doors, but the machine is barely 5-6 feet (2m) from the door. I should mention that this occurs more often when I'm making teas or americanos in the evening, but I always let it stabilize after I draw lots of water. Any tips, ideas?

This is my Wemo schedule:
    5:45 - ON
    8:00 - OFF
    18:45 - ON
    20:30 - OFF
    21:15 - ON
    21:16 - OFF

Hello. I think one key difference may be that your unit is not cooling down before the 1 minute 9:15 PM turn on cycle. In other words, the pressure of the boiler may still be high enough to where the 1 minute turn-on period at 9:15 PM doesn't trigger the refill of the boiler as desired. For example, my boiler has eight hours to cool down before the one minute cycle in the evening. Hopefully, this makes sense.
  • Thanks, that makes sense Terry. I'll experiment by moving the evening minute to 10PM, which might might wake up my wife HAHA. If that doesn't work I'll try letting the steam out around 9PM... see if that makes any difference.
  • You're quite welcome.
  • For what it's worth, I sleep around 4-5 meters away from L-R.

It's been over a month since I got the L-R and I have not been woken up by the machine. I did once first week, but it was either coincidence or the anxiety/anticipation.
  • I moved my ON/OFF minute to 10PM which gave it 1.5h OFF time between 8:30 and 10. That did the trick, pump filled the boiler at 10PM two nights in a row and stayed quiet in the morning.
  • That's great, Igor. It's cool that you were able to make it work with your schedule.