This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Expected behavior? boiler refill during pre-infusion

I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to confirm if this behavior is "expected/as designed"

On very rare occasions, the boiler will refill during pre-infusion (i.e. while the lever is down). When this happens, the pressure (i.e. pressure in the group) rises above the pre-infusion setting causing the lever to catch below horizontal.

It's rare enough that its only an occasional annoyance (but does ruin the shot when it does happen), but just wanted to confirm that the machine is functioning as designed.

Thanks,
Yaseen

Note: Meant to post this in Londinium R support section

Comments

• hi yaseen

could i trouble you for a photo of that when it next occurs as (i) I've not experienced that or heard of anyone else who has, and (ii) the machine isn't plumbed in a way that would make that possible

what i have seen (& perhaps this is what you are referring to) is the boiler decide to refill after the lever has been released (i.e. after pre-infusion has completed) and so the inlet solenoid to the boiler opens and this causes the water on the inlet side of the solenoid which is at greater pressure than the water on the outlet (boiler) side of the inlet solenoid to rush into the boiler and as a result the lever jumps up, and yes, it ruins the shot

the way you would ensure this does not occur is you would draw just enough water out of the hot tap to cause the boiler to refill and then you would go about preparing and pulling your shot as normal

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss, thanks for quick response and moving to correct section :)
    I think we are both describing the same scenario except in mine the lever is still down when the boiler refills (by down I mean spring is compressed and water is in the group chamber). I'll post a video
  • Hi Yaseen
    I've never been able to get the lever to grab below horizontal on any of my machines, even if i open up the regulator/pressure reducing valve on the water line feeding my L3 to 6 bar, so its definitely something i haven't seen before
    Kind regards
    reiss.
  • Hi Riess,
    FYI I've had this happen on my LR a few times. When the lever is down and during PI the pump kicks in to refill the boiler. When the pump kicks in it appears the PI pressure then increases dramatically, as the espresso will instantly start to flow and yes then the lever grabs just below horizontal / almost no free play when released / grabs instantly.
    Typically I then disregard the shot.
    Rick
  • ah well, the remedy is as i outline above.