This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LONDINIUM tamper best (4 me) with tapered basket

A short clip explaining why I prefer a tapered basket with my LONDINIUM tamper. First, the tapered basket has a smaller cluster of holes which makes them fit within the circle of the naked PF. Second, if tamping is less than 100% perfect on a basket with straight walls, on my setup at least the extraction has some early drops, indicating there' some (minor) channeling along the outside of the straight basket.

Comments

• Thanks for the video. I stopped using the straight wall version because it would fall out when I was emptying it. Now I know there's another good reason.
  • hi frans
    my experiences are consistent with yours
    I'm wondering if a convex tamper would give a different result
  • The straight-walled basket with my convex tamper gives me no problem. The convex tamper makes it a more 'forgiving' combination.
  • Interesting! Perhaps we need a convex base for the londinium tamper for those who like vst baskets
  • Great video (as always) Frans!

I did try using a convex tamper when I first got my L1 and it didn't work very well.
    In the last 5-6 months I am only using VST ridgeless baskets and have no problem with a 58.4 flat base.

Maybe the original L1 ridged basket is more forgiving ?

Kfir.
  • Kfir post=1398 wrote: Great video (as always) Frans!
    (...)
    Maybe the original L1 ridged basket is more forgiving ?

Thanks Kfir!

In the video I use the tapered ASI-VST basket, which works as simple as the original Londinium basket.
  • Reiss Gunson post=1397 wrote: Interesting! Perhaps we need a convex base for the londinium tamper for those who like vst baskets

I would surely order one and experiment with it. I am convinced it will be as effective as my current convex tamper.
  • hi kfir

i know you're a busy guy, but if you ever had a moment could you please post a clip of your dose & tamp routine?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but i fall in the group who finds straight sided baskets (irrespective of brand) more challenging than a tapered basket & I'm not too proud to admit that I'm sure i could learn something from you when it comes to getting the best from VST baskets

kind regards

reiss.
  • Give me a few days :)
    Busy days now since I am moving to a new apartment soon and this on top of a demanding job and 2 kids...

I'll try to shoot something with my phone soon but I cannot get even close to Frans's standards ;-)

Kfir.
  • I refreshed some of my "pre-infusion" and "basket design" theory re-reading the relevant chapters 2 & 3 of Scott Rao's "The Professional Barista's Handbook."

In Chapter 3, "The Science ad Theory of Percolation and Extraction" he discusses "Basket Shape and Extraction" and he explains why a tapred basket is (in his view, to his vast experience) better if you can find any. You get a more even extraction. He illustrates this comparing a single tapered basket with a straight walled double basket.

Luckily, we now can chose a double basket *with* a tapered wall.

See also: http://www.scottrao.com/
  • Reiss Gunson post=1397 wrote: Interesting! Perhaps we need a convex base for the londinium tamper for those who like vst baskets

I have been using a slightly convex (not Euro Curved) tamper for the single shot basket and it seems to tamp better. I would like to try the more aggressive Euro Curved tamper.

I have been using a flat tamper with the VST or Espresso Parts large (18-22g) straight walled baskets and it seems to work. I don't usually go for doses that high unless I am making a milk drink or pouring shots over ice cream. With the tampered basket I keep the dose between 15-16g with a flat tamper.

Maybe I should try the shallow curved tamper on the larger baskets!?!?
  • I got no early drops from the IMS basket using the L tamper. It's the grind quality (particle distribution + basket distribution) what really matters IMO.

But yes, tapered baskets are easy. But somehow the shape is like some kind of cheating. ;)
  • hi jj

as i understand it frans is in agreement with you

what he is talking about is the 'proper' VST baskets - these have no curvature where the sides meet the base, unlike the IMS basket

my experience of using the 'proper' VST baskets and the flat LONDINIUM tamper is consistent with Frans' experience, but Kfir seems to suggest it doesn't need to be this way if you do the job properly, which i why i am keen to see his video on dosing, tamping & pull a shot with a 'proper' VST basket and a flat faced tamper

i assume the IMS-VST tampers are purely using the VST brand under licence to convey a sense of quality and differentiate them from the other IMS baskets produced. does anyone know the story?
  • Here is a quick video I made in the morning.

I am dosing ~15g in a VST 18g ridgeless basket for my usual double shots, the tamper is a Torr XS with a 58.4 mm flat base.

The shot is a bit fast (forgot to adjust the grind while doing it in hurry) and pre-infusion was a bit long since I was focusing in filming :) but you still can observe that I don't use any special technique.
    I always single dose with by beloved K10 Pro Barista, the doser does a fantastic job distributing the grounds in the basket and I just settle it down and tamp.

Kfir.
  • Hi Kfir
    Your results are conclusive, I'll give you that
    The only differences I that really stand out are you put 15g in an 18g VST
    Whereas I have been putting 15g in a 15g VST - silly me!
    What led you to use an 18g for 15?
    While your results are indisputable, I don't really buy into the idea of the coffee needing that much headspace, but perhaps I'm wrong
    All i can do is try 15 in an 18 I guess
    Other than that I am using a K10 fresh - I dump the first 2 doses to get into fresh coffee and the third one I keep and simply tamp the cone flat
    But, just has Frans notes, it tends to produce a donut extraction
    I really appreciate the time you took to take this clip Kfir
    I have found it insightful and I will report back on how I get on

All other forum members - I would like to think this thread grows to become the longest and most viewed and stays at or near the top
    If you are struggling, or knocking out exceptional results, or anywhere in between, please post a clip like kfirs
    It doesn't have to be pretty, just document each step in your prep

Reiss
  • I'll post my technique shortly but it is very similar to Kfir's, using also the straight 18g vst basket (16g-16.5g aim) and flat tamper (reg). I don't single dose however but prefer to use the timer on the K10F (after checking it regularly). Having used the LI for a couple of months now and after battling with donut extractions in particular after the first 2 weeks I can pretty conclusively say the following:

- dosing less than the designed amount is more successful than dosing to the designed amount or overdosing, without question. I don't know why this is, but it is.
    - I found nutating was also essential. I just couldn't get a flat puck to save myself otherwise
    - a bit of light tapping and wrapping is also key to try to get the distribution right, as well as a bit of finger grooming. Simply shoving a tamper on a mound of coffee from the K10F was not cutting it
    - a long, slow extraction has a less chance of success than a faster one. A 25s-30s lever travel is the sweet spot in all respects
    - if the extraction doesn't cone within 10 secs maximum, you've generally lost it. And the taste reflects this

All in all, it seems that the vst straight walled baskets needs an absolutely perfect technique. If you nail it, its fabulous. If you don't, its average.
  • As you figured Reiss, I am doing that just mainly because of headspace.

Why ? well I had a really nice pump machine for 2.5 years (Elektra T1) and this machine was really "allergic" to high doses.
    A double shot without enough headspace immediately caused channeling, besides that I always preferred a more subtle sweet balanced shot over that big gooey harshed flavored one you get from a ristretto with a 20g dose and a good way to get that is by grinding finer and lowering the dose.

As I noted before I mostly drink single shots from a 7g VST basket, I dose 8.5g and use a special funnel and a 41 mm tamper.
    This also leaves a large headroom and the results are great.

The L1 works much better with low doses and it really resembles other spring levers I owned especially the Ponte Vecchio Lusso and the Elektra MCAL which implements a similar low pre infusion by boiler pressure.

Offcurse there is more than just headspace, the distribution of grounds in the basket is very important as well and this is why I preferred the K10 PB over the Fresh - you don't need to mix the grounds to get a good shot, the doser does that for you.

The VST baskets are less forgiving, I can easily pull a much nicer shot with the Espresso Parts HQ baskets.
    This is why i like them, the are not "covering" mistakes and once you get used to them they give consistent and great results.

Kfir.
  • can you tell us more about mixing the grounds kfir - wrt the differences bwtn K10 PB & F
  • Thanks for the video Kfir. It's always great to see what subtle differences are being employed. I've been all over the place with dose/grind/preinfusion looking for the most consistent settings but I have to admit I've never gone below 15.8 so I'm going to give that a try and see what happens. Interestingly enough, the best settings I found were the ones I originally used way back when I first got the machine which were 15.8 with an 8 second preinfusion. I've been trying the 3 second preinfusion since Reiss recommended it but I have had mixed results.
  • Reiss Gunson post=1514 wrote: can you tell us more about mixing the grounds kfir - wrt the differences bwtn K10 PB & F

I had both grinders side by side for several months until I decided to sell the K10 Fresh.
    The Fresh is probably one of the best doserless conical grinders available today, it's fast and quiet and it gives out precise dosing as long as you keep enough beans in the hopper.

But this is a doserless grinder so you know that there will be a little bit of static, a little bit of clumps and grounds distribution will never be optimal without some mixing of the grounds in the basket.
    The K10 Pro Barista grind output is more fluffy and without clumps, the doser does a great job and sweeps out the coffee very efficiently.
    You also get a big plus since it distributes the grounds very well.

Some pictures I took long time ago show how fluffy and clump-less the grind of the Pro Barista is:

After settling the grounds in the basket with a few knocks:

Another big plus with the K10 PB is that you can single dose with it easily and eliminate waste and it's very easy for a home roaster like me to switch between coffees without having to grind the leftovers.
    Also no retention - easier grind calibration as well.

I guess in the end it's a matter of personal choice, I don't mind the extra work required to weigh the beans and to do 2-3 bumping & brushing to clear the grinder chute from leftovers.
    After getting use to it, it takes no more than a minute or so.
    For a few cups a day it's perfect, in a more demanding environment the Fresh will be much more suitable.

Hope it helps to understand my point of view.

Kfir.
  • Hi Kfir
    Thank you very much for the post - very interesting!
  • My ridiculously amateurish attempt at a solo of my technique, including phone falling over during prep. But hopefully there is enough. My technique is similar to kfir's.

Grinder is a K10F dispensing around 16.5g in a straight walled 18g vst. Took about 10 secs or so for the extraction to cone out which is a longer than usual, but certainly acceptable.

Coffee is an Ethiopian yirg.

Other key takeaway is that I need to lose some weight.

Edit: vid won't upload. Will attempt to figure it out later
  • Thanks Kfir for the video! One thing that struck me was the tamp technique. You roll it around a bit. A friend who visited me last friday did that too. He does this at home against clumping of the grinds. Why do you do it?
  • I am using this technique for few years now and it helps mainly to level the grounds in the basket before tamping.
    It also may help to prevent grounds from sticking to the basket walls.

I don't thing that it's very useful for clumps though, if the coffee is not distributed in the basket properly channeling will occur.

Kfir.
  • It is one of the more of the useful tips I've picked up over the years. It helps to ensure that the basket edges are properly distributed and prepared (where most channeling occurs) and therefore a properly levelled bed before (light) tamping. Takes seconds

Still cant get my vid to work - was rubbish anyway. Franz would have been appalled.
  • Gino, just upload the video to Youtube and then post a link here.

If the video clip is too big you can convert it to MP4 by using "Windows Movie Maker" and just saving it as a "youtube" clip.
    The MP4 format is about a 1/4 of the original file size and easier to upload.

I for once will be happy to watch it and give you my feedback, I'm sure others will be too...

Kfir.
  • Kfir post=1564 wrote: I for one will be happy to watch it and give you my feedback, I'm sure others will be too...

Yes! Me too.
  • I believe the term for the technique of rolling the outer edge of the tamper around is called "nutating". I've found using nutation, with the OEM tapered basket, I consistently get more sprtizing...and the degree of spritzing has been directly related to how exaggerated/not exaggerated my nutation technique.

Although there has been a recent movement in the pro barista circles against any type of knocking of the partially tamped portafilter I typically will give it a soft vertical tap on the counter to settle the stray fines on the vertical sides of the basket...seems to work OK for me with less to no spritzing/channelling.

YMMV.
  • Dan Streight post=1572 wrote: I believe the term for the technique of rolling the outer edge of the tamper around is called "nutating".

Thanks! I've been wondering about that word nutating so now I know.

In the other thread about L1 routine videos I posted this one I just made. It has an attempt at 'nutating' but need more practice.