This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R (110v) use at farmers market.

Hi Reiss,
Am I correct in that the Londinium R is a scaled down commercial machine?
If so, would it stand up to limited commercial use? (Specifically, Saturday mornings at a farmers market….8am-12noon.)

To be very specific, would it stand up to any of the following 3 examples…based on making 8 oz lattes, for 1 hour straight?

1) 1 drink every 90 seconds
2) 1 drink every 60 seconds (One person pulling the espresso, and one steaming milk.)
3) 1 drink every 45 seconds

Once again this is for the L-R (110v), not the (220v).

Thank You,
Jim

Comments

• hi jim

a qualified yes. if you draw off any volume of hot water, e.g. a cup full, from the boiler the pump is going to reload the boiler with say 300mL of cold water into a 2.3L boiler and you are going to lose all your steam pressure until the boiler recovers

so if you are not drawing water off the boiler then it should cope in that sense

i would probably suggest that you purchase the twin spout portafilter (a bottomless is included) and this would allow you to split the shot and get about 30mL of espresso in each which significantly improves the output of the machine

finally, i dont think you need one person to pull the lever and another to texture the milk - one of the advantages with a spring lever is you can pull the shot and then set about texturing the milk, so you have a labour saving right there

kind regards

reiss.
  • i think you should assume 2 cups (30mL of espresso in each) every 60 seconds using a double spout - i dont think you will do much better than that as an espresso machine really has a defined amount of time that it needs to deliver a certain volume of espresso - if you push this equation, e.g. by running a coarser grinder and/or smaller dose you will achieve a faster shot delivery but the taste of the espresso will suffer terribly

work on a rule of thumb of 1 second per mL of espresso delivered if you want it to taste any good - this isn't machine specific, this is pretty much a universal rule in coffee world - you will see many many establishments abandon it in the interests of throughput from under-specified equipment and as a consequence their coffee will never taste any good
  • Thanks Reiss,

It sounds like the L-R (120V) will easily do what I am looking for.
    The hot water for Americanos would come from a standalone water heater.
    The L-R’s duties, would be making espresso and steaming milk.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, the L-R 120V has the thermal capacity to pull 1 double espresso, and steam the milk, for an 8oz latte every 45 seconds, for 1 hour straight? (I realize that’s not a reasonable pace for a person, just checking that the L-R would be stable at that pace.)

What’s the L-R weight…I looked but couldn’t find it.

Thanks again,
    Jim
  • you can use it continuously and it will be thermally stable, yes, but you'll get pour tasting shots if you run them so fast that you can do one cycle every 45 seconds

in round numbers the LR is 40Kg

it also needs to be protected from the weather - i.e. it is not intended to be used out in the rain or in freezing conditions

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss,

It looks like the LR will serve my needs with ease.

A kitchen friendly, 1 group lever, capable of catering and farmers markets, opens up a lot of possibilities.
    For the record, I plan to make tasty drinks, not the 45 second swill I was asking about. (They serve that all over town.)

Thanks again,
    Jim
  • Hey Reiss,

I just placed an order for the LR.
    However, I placed the order in USD, but don't know how to get it to change back to GBP, so I can make a bank transfer.

Thank you,
    Jim
  • sorted. i have received your new order, thank you.
  • Hey Reiss,

Three quick questions.
    1) Do you have an estimated ship date for my machine?

2) Would you set me up with permissions for the owner forum?

3) Are there owners only videos that I can watch before my machine gets here, and how do I get to them?

Thank you,
    Jim
  • Hi Jim

You ordered some time on Friday and I submitted your order with the factory within a few hours

I would expect to despatch your machine later today, Tuesday

The reason why your account does not have owner permissions associated with it is you elected to purchase your machine as a guest

I have now added owner permissions to your account, giving your full access. You will need to log out and then log back in

Go to the permanent file and download the pdf user manual for the Londinium R and familiarise yourself with it

Kind regards

Reiss