This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LR - cooling flush?

I've read the recommendation around adjusting preinfusion pressure for different coffees which require higher/lower brew temperatures. I also know LR does not require a cooling flush.

However, are there any adverse effects with doing a short cooling flush for coffees that require cooler brew temp? E.g. Temp stability etc etc

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hi yaseen

no there aren't, but you'll need to be quite quick on the draw as the water in the HX gets back up to temp rapidly after you flush

the problem i have with flushing is how do you know what temp you are at?

hence the idea that you alter the pre-infusion pressure, which is quite easy i think

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss, got it, that makes sense.
    Scenario I'm solving for is when I'm making milk drinks with one coffee and espresso with another type (that requires slightly cooler temp) for guests, where I'm switching frequently between both. It's a rare scenario, but looking for an on-the-fly solution that doesn't require CEME adjustments.
    Agree, it's not perfect, I'll play around with it tomorrow as I'll have guests over and report back my experience (hopefully helpful to others)
  • Just wanted to provide an update for those interested.
    I was serving and SO espresso that required a cooler temp and using a blend for cappuccinos that required a hotter temp for a group of 20 or so guests (serving each randomly based on requests)
    I used a short cooling flush immediately before locking in the portafilter and pulling the shot for the espresso with very good results (preinfusion and boiler at stock settings)
    I found this to be a good technique to adjust temp on-the-fly with varied back to back shots that required different temps.
  • hi yaseen

yes, it works, but you have to be quick off the mark - as you say you definitely need your PF prepared & ready to lock in before you make the cooling flush. reiss.